• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scans vs Multiple Pictures - Facebook debate ongoing.

30 posts in this topic

I started a complete firestorm (80 comments and still going) over in one of the Facebook comic selling forums by asking why everyone was posting pictures of books rather then scans. Seems like 80% of the people responded that it was quicker and they liked pictures better (buying and selling). A couple came to the defense of scans but most of them felt scans either didn't show spine roll or rusted staples and made the book look worse then they do in hand.

I know people on the boards demand scans but is there a silent sub group that wishes people posted 20 pictures of a books instead of the scans?

I started a complete firestorm (80 comments and still going) over in one of the Facebook comic selling forums by asking why everyone was posting pictures of books rather then scans. Seems like 80% of the people responded that it was quicker and they liked pictures better (buying and selling). A couple came to the defense of scans but most of them felt scans either didn't show spine roll or rusted staples and made the book look worse then they do in hand.

I know people on the boards demand scans but is there a silent sub group that wishes people posted 20 pictures of a books instead of the scans?

I like photos more for the same reasons. People on the boards seem to prefer scans.

There's a reason every major comic selling outlet (Clink, Heritage, ComicConnect/Metro, Worldwide, High Grade, etc) uses scans, and that's because they're better. (thumbs u

Pictures help and can be useful and they are much easier, but they can also be used to hide things. :gossip:

Scans have higher DPI and are zoomable. Therefore I can see much smaller defects that are not easily viewable. A picture has it further away and thus harder to see.

I like scans too but sometimes a scan makes a small defect seem way worse then it is. I tried using the large pictures in the recent grading contest and ended up doing much better with the smaller scans.

There's a reason every major comic selling outlet (Clink, Heritage, ComicConnect/Metro, Worldwide, High Grade, etc) uses scans, and that's because they're better. (thumbs u

I brought up this point and got the response that the big auction houses are trying to make their clients more money by hiding defects - thus the reason for the scans. doh!

Is this what we come to, Comics General? Facebook discussions. What's next Kardashian comic book recommendations?

How the mighty have fallen :facepalm:

:jokealert:

New Thread:

If the Kardashians had a comic book how many comic books will they sell?

How many Kardashians are there? I think it would sell well, but only because they'd all try to bump up their own sale numbers buy buying up more copies of their own book than their sibling/parent buys of theirs. Unchecked narcissism can do that. Granted, those would be the only copies sold on the planet, but each would end up buying a couple thousand copies to say "I sold more than you!" to each other.

I also now want to set myself on fire for even giving this that much thought.

I'd say the majority probably can't grade consistently, when they sell they want top dollar and when they buy the want a steal or to trade a zillion 'hot' books for your 1 HOT book.

If you know how to grade you can be pretty accurate from pictures or scans as long as they are clear.

Some of those pics with more thumb and glare and comic bag in them than actual comic are useless for getting an idea of how a book actually looks.

For "cheap" books I just use scans. For more expensive books, I use scans and pics. It's true, sometimes there are spine rolls or other issues with "flatness" or waviness that don't come across in a scan. So do both. It takes, like, 10 seconds.

Can we make a facebook/ebay sub forum...I can't find the birthday threads with this junk.

most of the facebook photos are blurry, held in the hand terrible photos. As Roy mentioned the pics are almost always filled with glare, socks and positional imaging.

My eBay seller's notes tell me that 40% of my sales are to people buying through their mobile devices rather than desktops or laptops. Not sure if that means anything as far as the scans vs. pics debate, but it might. (shrug)

A clear pic or a clear scan can both be enlarged to assess a book.

Personally, I'd rather see a large scan of front and back than 16 positional pics. If the book has a spine roll, just state it.