• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eerie, Skywald, Stanley, Warren, Marvel... and so on

20 posts in this topic

Marvel and the publisher of Creepy (is that Warren?).

For the same reasons highlighted by Amazing Spidey, plus I love Creepy for the quality of the artwork even if these short standalone horror stories aren’t that much to me (with due exceptions). I also love Binder/Orlando's Adam Link (still missing a few). :)

This part of the forum is typically dead.

It really surprises me. Horror mags have great artwork by the kings of the industry,Frazetta,Neal Adams,Boris just name a few. One day people will realize just how special a high grade horror mag is.

That's all of us then. (shrug)

lol

This part of the forum is typically dead.

It really surprises me. Horror mags have great artwork by the kings of the industry,Frazetta,Neal Adams,Boris just name a few. One day people will realize just how special a high grade horror mag is.

I'm surprised as well.... The covers alone stand out to me every time I find copies in the wild.

All those beautiful Warrens with their painted covers... Those Stanley's with their amazing ghoul covers... Eerie with their crazy monster covers... Not to mention the incredible stories within!!!!

Ugh! How can so many pass them by?

In the end though... Like Oak said... One day everyone with realize just how special all these horror mags are in HG... Hopefully when that day comes, we've already filled all the holes in our collections

Creepy and Eerie, especially the early years :cloud9: ...and Blazing Combat. Frazetta, Davis, Crandall, Torres, Toth,Orlando, Morrow, Williamson, and later some of the best work I saw Ditko and Colan ever do.

I really liked Vampi when I was a young teenager, but then I discovered the real thing :)

Some of the Marvel mags were pretty cool, too.

I remember when the Spectacular Spider-Man magazine came out, I thought the art was great but the story was so-so.

I was disappointed when the second issue came out in color instead of black and white with wash tones.

Marvel, Warren, Skywald, Eerie and Stanley in that order.

Big, big fan of the first 3! Marvel had such a wide range of material and great artists while Warren had great art with a bit more mature tone. And Skywald had a more psychotic horror take that had a much different flavor than the other two. :headbang:

Warren was it for me, I've studied them since I was a kid, and after Warren went bankrupt in 1983, I kept waiting for someone, anyone, to release something similar. When the Dark Horse Creepy and Eerie reboots launched, with their smaller size, "alternative" style artists and gloss paper, I realized that it probably would not happen in my lifetime, so in 2012 I decided to take the plunge and drop a few hundred thousand to attempt to launch a similar magazine myself. I spent a couple years laying the ground work and contacting some of the original Warren talent and last June, I released The Creeps magazine. Now we're working on our 5th edition. www.TheCreepsMagazine.com CreepsPromo.jpg