• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Scarcity Index Numbers 7 thru 9

89 posts in this topic

There still seems to be some Promo comics that Overstreet does not list, but it's tough to tell if they are really scarce or just ignored. I saw one at a flea market this winter (some kind of Catholic comic) that was not in the guide, but it wasn't something I was interested in so I didn't buy it. Kinda wish I had now...

It's kinda weird but, the day I found it Robot man had just posted his raggedy copy (lol) in one of the threads...so, after posting a snarky comment about how lucky he was I immediately went to ebay and there was my copy for sale in a BIN listing...The Comic God's were smiling on me that day... :cloud9:

So, I don't know if there are any in the census because I haven't looked (I have problems getting to the census...), but we now know there are at least 3 copies out there, the one in Gerber, Robot man's, and mine... lol

:cry: that's crazy your mentioned Robots copy because when he posted, as soon as I saw it at least, I scoured the Internet including eBay to no avail...you must have beat me to the punch (thumbs u Super neat book!!

Heh, heh...ya gotta get up pretty early... :insane: But, actually, sometimes it's all luck and timing, and that was one of my lucky days...

Who knows how long it had been on ebay before the two of us went looking for it. Most collectors aren't looking for that book, so it might have been there awhile and just got overlooked.

Edited by tricolorbrian

Cool...we now know there are at least 4 copies... :applause: How long have you had yours, and how did you find it? Maybe we should start a club for this book and see how many come out of the Internet shadows... :idea:

Zero copies on the census. In 2007, Heritage sold the Crippen copy (raw, graded FN) for $45. Whoever bought it apparently never had it slabbed. That seems to be the only copy Heritage has sold.

So, at least 5 known copies now... (thumbs u

Thanx Yellow kid for setting me straight. You know platinum age better than anybody. When I get something that I have never seen for sale before, a lot of times I think it is an 8 or a 9 since I am always on the lookout for rare stuff.

On 6/12/2021 at 3:42 PM, Pantodude said:

Thought I'd bump this interesting thread.  I've only really paid attention to Silver Streak Comics #1 (b/c I have one). Overstreet says "scarce" and Gerber says "uncommon." While CGC census is not the gospel, time is the best teacher.  And after all these years, there are only 26 total SSC1s graded by CGC, and we know some of those might be phantom labels for books that were resubmitted and reslabbed.  And CBCS only graded two.  Whatever raws, if any, remain out there, it looks like SSC1 belongs in the "scarce" range (21-50 copies).  Not suprisingly, there has been no SSC1 offered for sale publicly since 2019; by contrast, each of Action Comics 1, DetCom 27, and Cap1 have sold since then (some even multiple sales).  SSC1 has lower census than all those, too, and lower than even Marvel Comics #1.  

I'm a SS #1 fan now.

I'm the only other guy on here who has ever said hey, I like my comic I own....and here's why I think it compares favorably.

This MF #73 fan welcomes you to the Gerber 7 Club.  Cap #1 Gerber 5 is the most over hyped up comic on this site.

Marvel's 1960's Daredevil gets all the hype.  But I'd take an SS #6 any day of the week.  I have no interest in SA comics.  An original-Daredevil movie, with obviously The Claw as the villain, could have a lot of potential.  I rate the 1922 Nosferatu stairs-shadow image as #1 all-time in horror cinema.