• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undervalued Moon Knight books thread-Spectacular Spiderman # 23 is my 1st pick..

68 posts in this topic

The Hulk (magazine) # 11-15,17-18,20 have non-reprint solo Moon Knight stories that are hard to find in high grade and are very cheap in Guide.

I was going to say the same, but only certain collectors give a mess about magazines. :(

It's a really nice run and it is in color. #13 features the first Moench/Sienkiewicz Moon Knight story, which to me, kind of is the lead in to the regular comic series.

Plus I believe its Sienkiewicz first work.

Agree totally, in fact there are quite a few hidden gems in the series. Luv me some Hulk Mags - got the whole set in HG multiples. :grin:

Green Lantern and Green Arrow.

I disagree on this one. No one would give two chits about this book if not for Neal Adams,

Actually, it doesn't matter what "no one" thinks, it only matters what one thinks. ;)

This market doesn't care about anything except first appearances. First appearance of Cable? $300+ in 9.8.

Second appearance of Cable? $30.

First appearance of Punisher in 9.4? $1,500

Second? $250

The market simply doesn't care about these things like they used to. The old collector mentality of "I have to get them ALL!" is gone, for the most part.

I can just hear the sneer: "it's WHAT appearance of Moon Knight...?? And I would care about that, because...?"

The market wants the prestige; comics as commodities, not as storylines.

"This is the FIRST APPEARANCE of (insert latest multimedia darling here) EVER!!!"

"First time X and Y meet....? Pffft. Only NERDS care about THAT kind of stuff."

Sad, but oh so true.

I think collectors still care, but nobody is driving those prices up like the 1st appearances. I have to believe there are still people who are "I have to get them ALL!" collectors,

Sure, which is why I said "...for the most part."

There are lots of collectors out there putting together runs. But....they are totally dwarfed by the first appearance chasers, which has completely dominated this market.

otherwise how can you explain the variant craze that has infiltrated the new comic market? (shrug) Anecdotally, I believe the new comic market is propped up more by variants than we might want to believe. There are ample examples that support this.

I'm not so sure there's a craze happening. I see literally thousands of variants being sold for less than cover price at cons all the time. There are a few exceptions, but they are really exceptions.

For every "crazy" variant, there are a hundred more you can't give away.

Anyone interested in a Witchblade variant...?

The market simply doesn't care about these things like they used to. The old collector mentality of "I have to get them ALL!" is gone, for the most part.

I can just hear the sneer: "it's WHAT appearance of Moon Knight...?? And I would care about that, because...?"

"This is the FIRST APPEARANCE of (insert latest multimedia darling here) EVER!!!"

Sad, but oh so true.

Right, but it depends also on the story.

There are stories where two characters meet for the first time that are just bad.

What depends on the story? How many books have value because of the story? 10? 20?

And no, when stories are good, no "nerding" involved.

I don't know what you mean, here.

I disagree on this one. No one would give two chits about this book if not for Neal Adams,

Not sure where I stand on that one but there's other books that come to mind for this first time x meets y.

-Flash 123......which obviously also happens to be the first silver age appearance of a golden age character. A bit of a two for one.

-Fantastic Four 12 - first time Hulk and Thing meet has always been a good one!

Probably plenty more, but my brain isn't working at the moment.

This market doesn't care about anything except first appearances. First appearance of Cable? $300+ in 9.8.

Second? $250

Sad, but oh so true.

I think collectors still care, but nobody is driving those prices up like the 1st appearances. I have to believe there are still people who are "I have to get them ALL!" collectors,

There are lots of collectors out there putting together runs. But....they are totally dwarfed by the first appearance chasers, which has completely dominated this market.

Yep. Less and less of those guys with their binders or folded up lists going through trying to fill runs... TONS more guys in a hurry to go through your inventory looking for a book that was 'missed' in mark up - the new hot thing to flip, be it modern or older.

Too many 'sellers' in the marketplace and not enough collectors could turn this hobby upside down really quick....

[

otherwise how can you explain the variant craze that has infiltrated the new comic market? (shrug) Anecdotally, I believe the new comic market is propped up more by variants than we might want to believe. There are ample examples that support this.

I'm not so sure there's a craze happening. I see literally thousands of variants being sold for less than cover price at cons all the time. There are a few exceptions, but they are really exceptions.

No. I am not. lol

TONS of useless variants.

Not sure where I stand on that one but there's other books that come to mind for this first time x meets y.

-Flash 123......which obviously also happens to be the first silver age appearance of a golden age character. A bit of a two for one.

-Fantastic Four 12 - first time Hulk and Thing meet has always been a good one!

Probably plenty more, but my brain isn't working at the moment.

These are really good counter-examples...BUT...

I would say that Flash 123 is so big is because of the creation of the multiple-earths concept, which, of course, was necessary for them to meet. FF 12 I suspect is because of the fight, rather than the "meeting," but I could be wrong; I'm a little more confident about the Flash 123 one. When I was collecting all the early Earth-2 crossovers, I don't remember any of the comics being listed or sought as "first meeting of..." it was all about the crossover of the worlds themselves. But, I could be wrong.

I don't see the significance of the first team up between Moon Knight and Spidey. The fact that it's in a Spectacular pretty much guarantees the price will go nowhere.

Yep. Less and less of those are guys with their binders or folded up lists going through trying to fill runs... TONS more guys in a hurry to go through your inventory looking for a book that was 'missed' in mark up - the new hot thing to flip, be it modern or older.

Folded up list... I miss you :cloud9: It's on my phone now, but I still can't keep it up to date!

I think what Claudio is saying is that you don't have to be a nerd to enjoy a good story.

Yes, but who appreciates good stories in this market...?

(And before the clamor of "I do, I do!!", we're all a special bunch, here. Go visit the Modern forum, and see what they all talk about constantly. "How much is this worth??!")

I think what Claudio is saying is that you don't have to be a nerd to enjoy a good story.

(And before the clamor of "I do, I do!!", we're all a special bunch, here. Go visit the Modern forum, and see what they all talk about constantly. "How much is this worth??!")

The Modern forum, and all that surrounds a good deal of current collecting, has little to do with what I was saying. I was talking about things that you collect because you find value in them. The value is not necessarily monetary, sometimes it coincides, sometimes not at all. That is one of the main reasons for which I never considered myself a "collector", but nonetheless I collect, because I care for what I collect for its content (be them comic books, books, historical items etc.).

And yes, the Modern forum is pretty irritating. I think I am pretty much done with it, as I could not care less about how much Gwenpool will be worth, as it is a piece of mess of idea to begin with. But so is a good deal of editorial policies today.

Green Lantern and Green Arrow. Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Peanut butter and Jelly.

Not sure about Luke Cage and Iron Fist, but it's not true of Green Lantern and Green Arrow. Their first meeting occurred before GL 76.

Interesting... isn't that their first official team-up though?

I guess. But it's not the first time they met. They don't form an "official" team (unless you count the new logo), but in any case, it's not the combo of these two characters that make this book such a milestone. It's the combination of realistic (amazing) art and "relevant," more-realistic storytelling that made this such a seminal issue. It won tons of awards and has been on want lists everywhere for decades. Very little, if any, of that was fueled by people saying, "This is the first time Green Lantern and Green Arrow team up!"

Second? $250

Sad, but oh so true.

Yep. Less and less of those guys with their binders or folded up lists going through trying to fill runs... TONS more guys in a hurry to go through your inventory looking for a book that was 'missed' in mark up - the new hot thing to flip, be it modern or older.

Too many 'sellers' in the marketplace and not enough collectors could turn this hobby upside down really quick....

[

No. I am not. lol

TONS of useless variants.

Here's to the "old school" Chuck :acclaim: It'll turn around again - the cycle always turns. :grin:

The Modern forum, and all that surrounds a good deal of current collecting, has little to do with what I was saying. I was talking about things that you collect because you find value in them. The value is not necessarily monetary, sometimes it coincides, sometimes not at all. That is one of the main reasons for which I never considered myself a "collector", but nonetheless I collect, because I care for what I collect for its content (be them comic books, books, historical items etc.).

And yes, the Modern forum is pretty irritating. I think I am pretty much done with it, as I could not care less about how much Gwenpool will be worth, as it is a piece of mess of idea to begin with. But so is a good deal of editorial policies today.

Which is why you have to go over there and break some balls every now and then . . . :grin:

Which is why you have to go over there and break some balls every now and then . . . :grin:

You know? That’s actually a pretty good idea, but I’m not sure it would give the desired effects. Some of the Modern collectors seem to take pleasure in the fact of being criticized, missing the criticism points in their entirety. :P

Second? $250

Sad, but oh so true.

But you just supported my point. There are "literally thousands of variants". Seems like the publishers have gone beyond nuts on variants to me. (shrug)

But you just supported my point. There are "literally thousands of variants". Seems like the publishers have gone beyond nuts on variants to me. (shrug)

Yes, but those are variants that have been produced over the course of the last 25+ years. There aren't thousands of new variants coming out. And the publishers are trying to make money, so they'll try variants to do it. It doesn't cost too terribly much money to print variants to the tune of 1,000-10,000 to add to a regular print run. So sure, they'll try it if they think they can make any sort of profit.

But is the market "crazy" about them...? No, not really. It's always been a rather niche market. The most crazy people have been about variants was probably 1992-1993, with the various Image and Valiant variants, which were very, very difficult to come by, and controlled obsessively by the publishers.

In those pre-internet days, you couldn't get anything, and everything was $50+.

Reminds me of a story: in 1993, in Dublin, CA, there was a comic dealer. He wanted top dollar for everything he sold, all the time, period. He was just awful about it. It didn't matter what you bought, he would act as if you were asking for his firstborn if you asked for any discount at all. He had all sorts of variants, Valiant, Ultraverse, Image....all stuff I wanted, but everything was priced at $50-$100 or more. As a result, I didn't buy much from him. He just had to squeeze every nickel he had out of everything, all the time.

Fast forward to 2005 or so....I'm back home, and I check out the store, which had since been sold to someone else....and I find that same old box of variants from 1993.

I asked the owner about them, and what he might want for them....and I ended up buying the whole box for about $1-$2 a book.

Granted, that was what they were worth in 2005...and still are...but, man oh man, if the first store owner had just been willing to give a LITTLE, I would have happily paid him $20-$25-$30 for those books...and he wouldn't have had to sell them for the pennies he surely got for them, and make it so I could buy them for $1-$2 ten years later.

It's madness.