• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane on eBay

61 posts in this topic

Seems to be.

I don't recall what the McSpidey pages (with Ghost Rider) did in CL Auction back in June. I know I bid $7500 on one and didn't even pop the reserve.

This is from ASM, so it "should" go a little higher than a regular McSpidey issue page. Good action shot of Spidey too.

No one is forcing you to like it :news:

Its not supposed to be fine art. What I like about it even now is that its dynamic and there are good facial expressions (scorpion's expression mid panel, spidey most of the time being expressive despite wearing a mask).

What I don't like about it is a lot of needless details / cluttered backgrounds.

I'm not sure what the spy vs spy comment adds to the discussion ;)

Is this the new going rate for McFarlane ASM panel pages?

eBay

Yeah this auction has been sort of eye opening for me. Just one good panel, rest , and its 5 figures and going up. And this is EBAY, where things tend to go cheap.

Heard this page sold for more when it last changed hands. (shrug)zzz

Is this the new going rate for McFarlane ASM panel pages?

eBay

Yeah this auction has been sort of eye opening for me. Just one good panel, rest , and its 5 figures and going up. And this is EBAY, where things tend to go cheap.

Heard this page sold for more when it last changed hands. (shrug)zzz

We're basically watching as ASM Mcfarlane has morphed into Dark Knight Miller.

I just don't get the lure of his Spidey art? He looks more like Spy vs Spy. Is he wearing pointed dress shoes under his costume?

It all comes down to nostalgia.

I grew up with McSpidey and think it's fantastic (not this particular page, but his art in general). Byrne and Starlin for example do nothing for me because their peak period was before my time. I can still understand why people like their work, but I have no desire to own an example.

Very little comic art is really groundbreaking or amazing outside of this hobby's little circle of geeks, so you just have to like what you like.

Have any of you guys seen what $4k will get you these days in the McSpidey market? Not a lot.

That page is from what many people consider his Prime Period (310-318) and it's got a great shot of Spidey plus good panels of not one but two classic Spider-Man villains (Rhino and Scorpion).

That page has no flaws. The only thing it's missing is maybe a little spaghetti webbing, but other than that it's got better content than 90% of the McSpidey pages out there.

McFarlane Spider-Man is an iconic run, with not a lot of artwork available (less than 50 issues, 'tho it sounds like a lot if you figure that's over 1,000 pages and covers of original art, compared to the print runs of the published comic work and also measuring that up against the tens of thousands (if not more) of fans - - it's really a scarce commodity), most of the pages are still retained in private collections, so it's not like many exchange hands often for public access to purchase.

I think the benchmark for a good page is going to be in the $8k-12k range.

That's where, I think from another thread, those who love McFarlane may opt to buy his other work like Infinity Inc to at least have something they can afford. As that happens, the lower end stuff starts to rise. Same thing happened with Kirby artwork, the silver age material was high, and the copper aged stuff (like Captain America) was a lot lower, but everything has risen lately, even Kirby's non-super hero material.

My problem is, I didn't get in early, I didn't grow up on the material, so to allocate that type of money for something I can appreciate but don't have a connection for and also knowing what I "could have" bought them for years ago, influences my decision to spend my money on other artists/material. I'm sure I'll have 20/20 hindsight on that decision not to jump in now as I do back then 'tho.

I used to own a McFarlane page

sold it a while back but sometimes when I see what they go for now I am sad a little bit

Life is not about regrets. Who knew OA prices would keep going up and up? Presumably that money was put to good use.

But what you said is a reason why I am reluctant to let prime pieces go, even if it doesn't fit my collection focus, unless the funds are used to buy more OA

Malvin

No one is forcing you to like it :news:

Its not supposed to be fine art. What I like about it even now is that its dynamic and there are good facial expressions (scorpion's expression mid panel, spidey most of the time being expressive despite wearing a mask).

What I don't like about it is a lot of needless details / cluttered backgrounds.

I'm not sure what the spy vs spy comment adds to the discussion ;)

Just an observation of the art style, wasn't meant to be mean spirited. You nailed it on the cluttered backgrounds and excessive details. I think it worked on the Spawn series but doesn't really translate to his Spidey work. Fine art or not, $11k+ for basically a modern obscure page is really hard to understand.