• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The all things STAR WARS (Film/TV only) thread.

54 posts in this topic

This thread is strictly dedicated to discussions of all the Star Wars material shown on screen and thus part of

official continuity.

To start off with.

Disney To Re-Release Theatrical Cuts Of The Original Star Wars Trilogy

http://comicbook.com/2015/09/19/disney-to-re-release-theatrical-cuts-of-the-original-star-wars-t/

Personally I've heard this before and find this new news hard to believe.

While there are issues with the tweaks made to Episode 4, I rather like the changes made in Empire.

Alterations made to Empire that I liked:

• Removing the shadow boxes around the snow speeders and other models used in the stop motion scenes on Hoth and the Asteroid field.
  • Basically everything they did in Cloud City from making the buildings look bigger and the city itself looking more populated.
  • The replacement of monkey eyes Emperor in the Hologram scene for Ian McDiarmid (sorry but monkey eyes Emperor needed to go and remain consistent with McDiarmid's portrayal throughout the series.)

I believe that these changes were universally appreciated along with the color tweaks like R2-D2's color change being corrected where they had to (at the time) film a Black, White and Silver R2-D2 so he would show up against the Blue Screen. This was later corrected due to advances in technology so R2 could be Blue. Silver and White against the background.

There are changes in Star Wars: A New Hope that I actually liked and felt fit better into the context of the story but many of you would disagree. For example, I like the inclusion of slug Jabba as that was something originally planned but am with everyone else that I do believe Han shot first.

While there are issues with the tweaks made to Episode 4, I rather like the changes made in Empire.

• Removing the shadow boxes around the snow speeders and other models used in the stop motion scenes on Hoth and the Asteroid field.
  • Basically everything they did in Cloud City from making the buildings look bigger and the city itself looking more populated.
  • The replacement of monkey eyes Emperor in the Hologram scene for Ian McDiarmid (sorry but monkey eyes Emperor needed to go and remain consistent with McDiarmid's portrayal throughout the series.)

I believe that these changes were universally appreciated along with the color tweaks like R2-D2's color change being corrected where they had to (at the time) film a Black, White and Silver R2-D2 so he would show up against the Blue Screen. This was later corrected due to advances in technology so R2 could be Blue. Silver and White against the background.

There are changes in Star Wars: A New Hope that I actually liked and felt fit better into the context of the story but many of you would disagree. For example, I like the inclusion of slug Jabba as that was something originally planned but am with everyone else that I do believe Han shot first.

While I can appreciate your point/s, I have to say that not one of them bothered me when I saw this film when it was released.

I am happy to see the theatrical versions released if for no other reason then historical accuracy. The new versions are simply not the same films. The inconsistencies are part of the charm.

While I can appreciate your point/s, I have to say that not one of them bothered me when I saw this film when it was released.

I am happy to see the theatrical versions released if for no other reason then historical accuracy. The new versions are simply not the same films. The inconsistencies are part of the charm.

I should add that I was very excited for the updated films when they were released and was happy to see the updated effects. Careful what you wish for I guess because as time has passed I revert to my above opinion. I am probably getting old and crotchety as I dislike the idea in principal of a director tinkering with finished work.

Sorry, but I loved everything the article touched on and I agree with it!

The original trilogy is undoubtedly the Star Wars, but for me and many other youngsters like me, the prequel trilogy was coming out as I was growing up and that is what defined Star Wars for me. Watching the original trilogy after allowed me to delve further in to the universe introduced to me by Episodes I-III.

I'm curious - for those who hate the prequels, what specifically would you change? Would you have taken a different overall direction, or changed details like Jar-Jar's inclusion? hm

Sorry, but I loved everything the article touched on and I agree with it!

The original trilogy is undoubtedly the Star Wars, but for me and many other youngsters like me, the prequel trilogy was coming out as I was growing up and that is what defined Star Wars for me. Watching the original trilogy after allowed me to delve further in to the universe introduced to me by Episodes I-III.

I'm curious - for those who hate the prequels, what specifically would you change? Would you have taken a different overall direction, or changed details like Jar-Jar's inclusion? hm

I don't have my notes with me, but I would definitely have made anakin a teenager not a child and if I absolutely had to have an annoying sidekick I'd at least cut down on the comedic antics.

Also, I would have had an explanation as to why this Trade Federation was trying to cut off naboo from the rest of the galaxy in the first place and why that was so important I mean it looked like Naboo was pretty self sufficient so why the fuss?

Also, I would have had an explanation as to why the divide between the light and the dark sides? What was it they disagreed on?

I would have had Episode 1 as a 0 Episode separating it from this new trilogy. I would have had Attack of the Clones be ep 1, ep 2 would have been a full blown Clone Wars movie and ep 3 would still be revenge of the Sith, but slightly tweaked in some area's. Overall I thought 3 was the best of the prequels, it was the first 2 that were not that great.

The prequel trilogy did not have a "Han Solo" type character and I feel that would have given a better balance with all the Jedi's.

Also, I would have had an explanation as to why the divide between the light and the dark sides? What was it they disagreed on?

I would have had Episode 1 as a 0 Episode separating it from this new trilogy. I would have had Attack of the Clones be ep 1, ep 2 would have been a full blown Clone Wars movie and ep 3 would still be revenge of the Sith, but slightly tweaked in some area's. Overall I thought 3 was the best of the prequels, it was the first 2 that were not that great.

The first 2 were obviously geared towards a younger audience. Lucas should've realized that his original fan base grew up and wanted a more adult version. His story telling didn't mature from Ep 6 to Ep 1. If you watch Ep 6 and then Ep 1, you probably would think that these 2 movies were made a few years apart. As a kid, I loved Ep 6. As an adult, it is hard for me to watch the Ewoks. Ep 1 Jar Jar and the Gungans were hard to stomach. As an adults, I don't care for the Ewoks or the Gungans.

10 Ways the Star Wars Prequels Improve the Series

http://screenrant.com/10-ways-star-wars-prequels-improve-series/?utm_source=SR-FB-B&utm_medium=Facebook-Distribution&utm_campaign=SR-FB-B

Some people just don't want to admit that the prequels were a huge miss fire.

Two of the 10 reasons:

THEY PUT THE “WARS” IN STAR WARS So making it more of an Action-Adventure is a good thing.

THEY’RE MORE SCI-FI POLITICAL DRAMA THAN ACTION-ADVENTURE So making it less of an Action Adventure is a good thing.

Okay.

And I've said before and always will- Anikin should have "become" Darth Vader (suit and all) at least halfway through ep 3.

Of course that would have meant 50% less of Hayden's face on screen.

>GASP< Can't have that!

Actually, I think it was a huge mistake to reveal that anakin was vader at all. That reveal at the end of esb is one of the greatest reveals in all of movie history. But, now, when people watch the movies in sequence, they'll already know who vader is when they get to that part in esb, and so there will be no surprise.

Actually, I think it was a huge mistake to reveal that anakin was vader at all. That reveal at the end of esb is one of the greatest reveals in all of movie history. But, now, when people watch the movies in sequence, they'll already know who vader is when they get to that part in esb, and so there will be no surprise.

All the more reason for new viewers to watch them in released order than number order. I just recently let my 10 year old son watch them and played them in released order.