• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need helping with learning about horror comics

43 posts in this topic

If you want to read some pre-code classics, I'd recommend (apart from the obvious EC Archives) Tales Too Terrible To Tell, along with Marvel Masterworks reprints of key PCH Atlas such as Menace and Strange Tales.

This forum is probably the best resource there is, but for useful primers to get you started there's also Comic Book Marketplace magazine, that often featured articles on pre-code (and where I first learned that it was more than just E.C.). It was a big influence on my pre-code collecting.

$_12.JPG

haha thanks but I'll stick to superhero and humor comics I'm too much of a fraidy cat for horror comics but I will learn about them for investment and flipping them and I like my girls nice and healthy ;)

If you want to read some pre-code classics, I'd recommend (apart from the obvious EC Archives) Tales Too Terrible To Tell, along with Marvel Masterworks reprints of key PCH Atlas such as Menace and Strange Tales.

This forum is probably the best resource there is, but for useful primers to get you started there's also Comic Book Marketplace magazine, that often featured articles on pre-code (and where I first learned that it was more than just E.C.). It was a big influence on my pre-code collecting.

$_12.JPG

Yes, there's more than EC, but there's also a lot of mediocre stuff. Of the better publishers, Atlas seems to be at the forefront in respect to number of PCH titles published, but in respect to strong story content and consistently good art that varies from publisher to publisher with the possible exception of EC which is pretty solid across the board.

There are 2 things to remember in collecting PCH.

Girls and skulls. Sex and death. That's my cardinal rule.

It's much simpler than that. Pre-code horror can be boiled down to two letters: EC :insane:

Not at all. There are many great non-EC comics in the horror genre. EC did not have much bondage and although beautifully rendered, there are other horror covers with much more psychotic intent.

I agree I've seen other companies do a good job but ec was the best at it from what I read and yes the horror covers have more psychotic intent.

$_12.JPG

Yes, Tales Too Terrible To Tell (aka Terrology) was a tremendous learning tool for Pre-Code Horror. Unfortunately production stopped before it was complete but you can still get issues 2-11 direct from, New England Cpomics for a @2.50 a book ($5 for #9). They are comic book sized and, aside from b&w reprints from the comics themselves, detail publishers, trends, little tidbits of misc info etc. Mainly b&w art but nice 4-color spreads of covers. Very much in the spirit of what EC did for their fans.

You can order them here:

http://www.necpress.com/Ticksearch.aspx?q=[HORROR]

Looks like number 1 is no longer being produced. I checked with New England Comics and will be calling back Wednesday to speak to the GM there, who'll know for sure.

Also check out some of the other ones there like My Terrible Romance and Buried Terror. All of these offerings are really cool and well done. George Suarez was the mastermind behind Tales Too Terrible To Tell and had planned on doing a full book incorporating all the issues and more. He was known as having one of the largest pre-code horror collections anywhere.

A nice breakdown with the contributing writers and issue details is here:

https://www.atomicavenue.com/atomic/title/3447/Tales-Too-Terrible-to-Tell

$_12.JPG

Yes, Tales Too Terrible To Tell (aka Terrology) was a tremendous learning tool for Pre-Code Horror. Unfortunately production stopped before it was complete but you can still get issues 2-11 direct from, New England Cpomics for a @2.50 a book ($5 for #9). They are comic book sized and, aside from b&w reprints from the comics themselves, detail publishers, trends, little tidbits of misc info etc. Mainly b&w art but nice 4-color spreads of covers. Very much in the spirit of what EC did for their fans.

You can order them here:

http://www.necpress.com/Ticksearch.aspx?q=[HORROR]

Looks like number 1 is no longer being produced. I checked with New England Comics and will be calling back Wednesday to speak to the GM there, who'll know for sure.

Also check out some of the other ones there like My Terrible Romance and Buried Terror. All of these offerings are really cool and well done. George Suarez was the mastermind behind Tales Too Terrible To Tell and had planned on doing a full book incorporating all the issues and more. He was known as having one of the largest pre-code horror collections anywhere.

A nice breakdown with the contributing writers and issue details is here:

https://www.atomicavenue.com/atomic/title/3447/Tales-Too-Terrible-to-Tell

I'm not sure if that was directed at me but I'll check that out too

Well it is posted for all who may be interested but I did have you specifically in mind, uchiha. Tales Too Terrible To Tell (often called TTTTT) is a must for people interested in Pre-Code Horror and especially useful for people just getting involved. (thumbs u

Regarding horror books:

1. Many collect books that they like. One book appeals to one person but not necessarily to another.

2. Then there are the books that appeal to everyone, these books are multiples of guide ( example: Crimesuspenstories 22 )

In addition to what has been said I highly recommend you check out the Gerber volumes, easy to browse near complete image library.

GoldenGoodnessGroup_zpsb572c233.jpg

Would make a great bed cover don't you think!

:headbang:

Well it is posted for all who may be interested but I did have you specifically in mind, uchiha. Tales Too Terrible To Tell (often called TTTTT) is a must for people interested in Pre-Code Horror and especially useful for people just getting involved. (thumbs u

I'm sure with guys like you you already know everything on these lists ;)

Another learning experience is to go to eBay and search Golden Age, Horror and sci fi and check completed sales with "Highest price" as the filter.

I thought this was a neat idea, so I just went and tried it.

Here was the highest-priced GA horror sale under Completed Auctions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mystic-18-CBCS-7-0-/301689075937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463e11f8e1&nma=true&si=Rdy2nKPJG6KB6ZhmPfNqW3u7dYE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Good heavens. I definitely missed this one! :o

Another learning experience is to go to eBay and search Golden Age, Horror and sci fi and check completed sales with "Highest price" as the filter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mystic-18-CBCS-7-0-/301689075937?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463e11f8e1&nma=true&si=Rdy2nKPJG6KB6ZhmPfNqW3u7dYE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

it has bright colors and good eye appeal :)

I wonder what my copy in 8.0 (Nova Scotia) would go for. hm

I'll take a stab at it 4-5k for it is what I'm guessing

wait for it.... tree fiddy

wait for it.... tree fiddy

:cry:

Aside from the spine ticks there isn't much wrong with the book and it has all its original gloss and not much of the yellowing you sometimes see in the snow of this book - came back a CGC 6.0 OW/W.

Still waiting on the Mystic 21 :baiting:

Congrats, sweet book! :applause: