• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading service at printer?

15 posts in this topic

So, any idea when we can expect to see grading and slabbing taking place AT the printers?

Consider this...by the time a comic is slabbed, under current (unacceptable) conditions, it has been subjected to a literal myriad of attrocities...being handled by print shop employees, travelling through the country via UPS, being handled again by comic store clerks, being handled by Joe Schmoe comic buyer, then who knows what else, then shipped AGAIN, until finally arriving at CGC. The thought of all this makes me cringe! When will we see CGC graders AT the actual printers, slabbing the books as they are produced? I'd suggest a climate and atmosphere controlled environment that is contaminate and dust free, being handled by properly sanitized and bacteria-free graders.

In my mind, currently, a 10.0 for example is not truly a 10.0 as it has already passed through and been subjected to numerous impure and dire conditions.

My point is: comics under the current system are subjected to numerous impurities before being slabbed. In effect, they are contaminated and therefore the grade that is applied is skewed. A true 10.0 for example, could only be applied to a comic that has never been touched by human hands and unfiltered air.

this thread is just awash with sarcasm so thick you could cut it with one of them sharp-edged spoons they used to give you at school before some kid cut his mouth on it and they banned them.

personally, i think you're not going far enough with the original premise. i think the books should get slabbed before they even get touched by any inks, cause inks can smear something awful. and staples can bend the delicate papers. folding introduces the chance of NCB creases and spider cracking, too, now that i think about it

My point is: comics under the current system are subjected to numerous impurities before being slabbed. In effect, they are contaminated and therefore the grade that is applied is skewed. A true 10.0 for example, could only be applied to a comic that has never been touched by human hands and unfiltered air.

What you are describing is the ever-elusive CGC 11.0. Now if you'll excuse me, I must place my copy of the latest Itchy and Scratchy holo-foil variant edition in a quadruple-ply kryptonian mylar before Gamma radiation from the moons of Saturn penetrates the inks of the letters page.

this thread is just awash with sarcasm so thick you could cut it with one of them sharp-edged spoons they used to give you at school before some kid cut his mouth on it and they banned them.

personally, i think you're not going far enough with the original premise. i think the books should get slabbed before they even get touched by any inks, cause inks can smear something awful. and staples can bend the delicate papers. folding introduces the chance of NCB creases and spider cracking, too, now that i think about it

Why don't we take it one step further and just slab the creators? I am sure that there are more than a few current comics readers who would love to see Joe Quesada and Brian Michael Bendis permanently encased in sound-proof plastic.

I think what the 10.0 signifies is that with all those TERRIBLE things you mention, its still perfect.

I have to wholeheartedly disagree! If you were to look at a 10.0 comic under a microscope you would see all the damage that has been done and is being done to it by external forces. Hardly a "High Grade 10.0"!