• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The "New Forum" Discussion Thread

509 posts in this topic

This was sort of lost in the shuffle with the birthday thread "discussions" over the weekend.

LINK

Instead of fixing things that are not problematic to the vast majority of members, why not focus on things like slow loading pages.

Have a poll. See which of the two the members have a bigger problem with and fix that one.

That's assuming that they aren't both being looked at, of course, which isn't true. We've upgraded the database drive to an SSD, and are making some other DB changes on Tuesday.

At some point, the performance issues may come down to inefficient code in the boards software. We will not fix that directly because:

1. Custom changes to product code generally get you into trouble for a variety of reasons.

2. We're currently evaluating board replacement products, which would make any significant effort on this product a poor use of time and energy.

Since Arch and company are evaluating new forum software, I thought it would be a good idea to get a discussion going regarding end user requirements, requests, suggestions, ideas, etc.

What are yours?

======================

I'll start it off with a few that immediately come to mind:

1) Structure/Format - I like the current structure with forums/topic threads/responses/quoted responses. I've seen other formats that don't work as well. For example, Yahoo message boards went from this exact structure to something different, I can't even explain it, and it made topic discussions almost impossible. The current format works well, and I hope it transfers into the new forum.

2) Membership Date and Post Count Transferability - I'm pretty sure this will be a big deal to most people. :D

3) Board History Access - This is huge. There is a tremendous amount of important information and history within the current forum. Having access to this information and being able to quote and post it in the new forum would be extremely important to many of us.

4) Search Engine - It really helps to have a search engine that works well. New members often can't find anything because the current search engine is very limited. Currently, boardies rely on memory, spread sheets and Google search to find things around here. It would be great to have an efficient search engine capable of searching the entirety of the board's history, both old forum and new.

5) Avatar Size - lol This is a small issue, but it really would be nice to have avatars that are larger than 75x75 px.

More emoticons.

An on/off option for the *spoon* filter.

A "like" button that translates to visible reputation points for users to chime in on post quality.

OR an emoticon comment area at the bottom of posts like so:

______________________________________-

lol x5 (thumbs u x 1 down.gif x 15 :screwy: x 55 zzz x 12 :whatev: x 3

For maximum impact allow users to click these emoticons and see the user names under each feedback emoticon :D

The ability to selectively turn off signatures and avatars by user, instead of a global on/off switch

The 75x75 avatar limitation is ridiculously small

A better ignore function, perhaps one that hides when someone else quotes the person you have on ignore.

4) Search Engine - It really helps to have a search engine that works well. New members often can't find anything because the current search engine is very limited. Currently, boardies rely on memory, spread sheets and Google search to find things around here. It would be great to have an efficient search engine capable of searching the entirety of the board's history, both old forum and new.

One like the mycomicshop search engine, which works quite well, would be nice. And one for searching PMs.

One like the mycomicshop search engine, which works quite well, would be nice. And one for searching PMs.

MyComicshop's site is very well done, also the fact that it references directly the Grand Comics Database for informations. (thumbs u

I agree. The ability to search other peoples PMs is sorely needed.

3) Board History Access - This is huge. There is a tremendous amount of important information and history within the current forum. Having access to this information and being able to quote and post it in the new forum would be extremely important to many of us.

If nothing else, please preserve the Boozad packing thread. It has saved more comics from harm than anything I can think of.

My usual one-trick pony: a much more versatile ignore function, that makes it so that 1. My posts can't be seen by those I have on ignore (and vice versa, of course) and 2. my posts can't be seen even when quoted. I suspect even that will have a workaround by copying and pasting, but that would require more effort than most people would be willing to put in most of the time, and most would eventually give up. Whatever's left could be dealt with by moderation, and there wouldn't be much left if it was (as always) rigorously enforced.

It's like walking on the convention floor, but not having to deal with people I don't like/who don't like me. I can have conversations with my friends without having to deal with unwanted commentary from others (and vice versa.)

It's a workable solution, and might even improve relationships over time by not having that constant irritation, and after a while, wondering what the fuss was all about, allowing for space to patch things up.

One thing I wish the forum here had, is how the new posts show up.

On many other forums for other hobbies I have, the posts show as being unread until I actually click on them to read them.

On here all I have to do is be on this page, then close my browser - to come back later when I get a chance to do more reading, and all the unchanged posts will be marked as being read, even though I had not clicked on or read them.

Also if I somehow was logged out, when I log in all the posts show as being read when I log in.

Maybe I am doing something in error or do not have an option set up correctly, but it only seems to happen on the Collectors Society forums.

Just a minor pet peeve. Anyways I like the forums here and enjoy the stories.

What threads have the most views and replies order.

An example on most other hobby message

boards you click on a link that sorts by most views and replies.

This tells me which threads have the most action.

Also CGC forum needs to be more in tune with mobile, so I recommend a CGC message board app, and something to be compatible with tapatalk.

TAPATALK.COM

One thing I wish the forum here had, is how the new posts show up.

On many other forums for other hobbies I have, the posts show as being unread until I actually click on them to read them.

On here all I have to do is be on this page, then close my browser - to come back later when I get a chance to do more reading, and all the unchanged posts will be marked as being read, even though I had not clicked on or read them.

Also if I somehow was logged out, when I log in all the posts show as being read when I log in.

Maybe I am doing something in error or do not have an option set up correctly, but it only seems to happen on the Collectors Society forums.

Just a minor pet peeve. Anyways I like the forums here and enjoy the stories.

Big +1 to this.

Also a proper, easy to use Search function. :pullhair:

And a Search function for PMs. :cloud9:

My usual one-trick pony: a much more versatile ignore function, that makes it so that 1. My posts can't be seen by those I have on ignore (and vice versa, of course) and 2. my posts can't be seen even when quoted.

Excellent idea, force other people to ignore me because I'm ignoring them! That way, if there is someone who annoys me by pointing out when I'm wrong, I can just put them on ignore and BAM, I'm invisible to them!

That way I'm only accountable to those people that I wish to be accountable to. I'm IN!

My usual one-trick pony: a much more versatile ignore function, that makes it so that 1. My posts can't be seen by those I have on ignore (and vice versa, of course) and 2. my posts can't be seen even when quoted.

Excellent idea, force other people to ignore me because I'm ignoring them! That way, if there is someone who annoys me by pointing out when I'm wrong, I can just put them on ignore and BAM, I'm invisible to them!

That way I'm only accountable to those people that I wish to be accountable to. I'm IN!

Yeah, I didn't understand that part. If someone puts me on "ignore" why should I be unable to see their posts, particularly if I don't have any issues with that person?

That is correct.

Would you want me in your living room, trying to engage you during any conversation you were having, responding to everything you had to say, interjecting my comments, and trying to sway the other people in the room, no matter how reasonable I thought I was being...? And what about the many who aren't trying to be reasonable (as many no doubt view both you and me)...?

This isn't the military, nor is it prison, nor is it a monastery, nor is it a government. No one has an inherent right to hold anyone else accountable here, other than the administrators. That doesn't mean they can't...but at some point, you just say "you know, Member X isn't really doing it for me...so, it's best if they can't see me."

It would make for much peace.

Also a proper, easy to use Search function. :pullhair:

And a Search function for PMs. :cloud9:

Absolutely. It would even be great if the current search function worked the way it supposedly does - the other day, I tried using the "-" option to exclude a particular keyword, and that doesn't appear to work.