• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the scam???

28 posts in this topic

I won a book on eBay last evening and paid immediately.

This am I received this note:

Hello there!

I just wanted to let you know I am sending your comic today, it is packed very safe!

I refunded your paypal payment because I need to have you RE SEND it from your paypal account, NOT from ebay!! It is still totally protected by paypal AND ebay you do not need to send the payment through ebays system directly in order to be protected!

I just need the money immediately and so for this to be, you must send it from your paypal to my paypal account!

the address you sent it to is : someemailaddresshere@ (changed)

I will re-write it for you :someemailaddresshere@ (changed)

PLease resend it there from your paypal account AND that will allow me access to it right away! :)

Thanks very much! ANd you will love this comic I am sure, it is awesome!

Huh??

They don't want to pay the eBay fees.

^This

EDIT: additionally, question because I don't feel like looking it up... could it be that they're asking you to send it to an unverified paypal e-mail address? I can't remember if it's possible to even accept money before being verified, but that popped into my head as well. Especially if they're changing which paypal address it's being sent to. That's my only red flag.

I would push for the eBay payment unless you really want the book.

while it's probably 100 percent ebay fees, they may have some issues with eBay since he mentions

"I just need the money immediately and so for this to be, you must send it from your paypal to my paypal account!"

not sure how his account is set up but i get my payment immediately via paypal or ebay

^This

EDIT: additionally, question because I don't feel like looking it up... could it be that they're asking you to send it to an unverified paypal e-mail address? I can't remember if it's possible to even accept money before being verified, but that popped into my head as well. Especially if they're changing which paypal address it's being sent to. That's my only red flag.

Same address.

^This

Same address.

Ah. Ok. Thought you said it was going to a different paypal address.

Then yeah, it's almost definitely avoiding fees. Or they don't want to wait for the money to clear the eBay waiting period that some sellers have on their accounts (I don't sell much, so I have to wait like 1-2 weeks for the cash to get actually deposited into my paypal account even if paid via CC thru paypal)

^This

Same address.

Ah. Ok. Thought you said it was going to a different paypal address.

Then yeah, it's almost definitely avoiding fees. Or they don't want to wait for the money to clear the eBay waiting period that some sellers have on their accounts (I don't sell much, so I have to wait like 1-2 weeks for the cash to get actually deposited into my paypal account even if paid via CC thru paypal)

Makes sense. Thanks.

I just need the money immediately and so for this to be, you must send it from your paypal to my paypal account!

PLease resend it there from your paypal account AND that will allow me access to it right away! :)

Huh??

My 1st thought reading that is Paypal Jail.

It may not be trying to avoid eBay fees. It may be Paypal doing a hold on funds until they reach a certain sales volume and satisfy Ebay they're a legit seller and release the funds on hold. (25 sales/$250 in sales/90 days)

Huh??

My 1st thought reading that is Paypal Jail.

It may not be trying to avoid eBay fees. It may be Paypal doing a hold on funds until they reach a certain sales volume and satisfy Ebay they're a legit seller and release the funds on hold. (25 sales/$250 in sales/90 days)

Interesting.

'Paypal Jail' may've changed to a 21 day hold with the Ebay/Paypal split.

Paypal FAQ – Funds Availability When some sellers receive payments, we may hold the money in their pending balance for up to 21 days. We want to make sure that there are no problems with the orders, such as disputes, claims, returns, or chargebacks. After we determine that the order was fulfilled and the customer is satisfied, we may release the money earlier.

If we place your money in a pending balance, it belongs to you but isn't immediately available to spend or withdraw.

We'll let you know if payments on your account are held. We'll also let you know what steps you can take to have your money released earlier. If your PayPal account was already limited, you'll need to lift those limits before you complete the steps to release your payments.

So having not sold on Ebay in a while or being a new seller could be a pain. Especially if you're selling something because you need the money right away (which is why most casual sellers sell).

Anyway, the seller may be requesting it be re-sent through Paypal detached from an Ebay transaction. Just to access the funds immediately, not scam the buyer. It's a possibility to consider.