• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the Boards name be changed to 'Dealers Society Message Boards'?

157 posts in this topic

The fundamental issue I see is you have the old time dealers like Gator and Bedrock who I think consistently give you an honest opinion of stuff. You may not agree always but they are giving you the opinion straight without any hidden agenda. Some of the newer dealers are really hucksters doing all kinds of spin to try and make a buck. A lot of the information they put out on the boards is 100% incorrect but people newer to comics takes it as fact and runs with it.

Would you rather buy from a dealer who was / is a comic book collector and/or reader or from someone who just pays attention to the market and sees their customers strictly as dollar signs?

Or does it even matter because cool books?

I guess I need to remember to show pics of my pre-code horror collection and a bio of my comic collecting life in the first post of my next sales thread. Wouldn't want to be considered a "wannabe", "mercenary", "black hearted flipper" or whatever else.

Personally, I like buying from people who grade fairly, price fairly, and offer good service. What they choose to do in their free time, if they collect or not, or if they read comics regularly isn't really a concern of mine. I will say that I can think of plenty of old school comic dealers who offer none of the above, and several of the "new breed" who do.

Personally, I like buying from people who grade fairly, price fairly, and offer good service. What they choose to do in their free time, if they collect or not, or if they read comics regularly isn't really a concern of mine. I will say that I can think of plenty of old school comic dealers who offer none of the above, and several of the "new breed" who do.

:applause:

The fundamental issue I see is you have the old time dealers like Gator and Bedrock who I think consistently give you an honest opinion of stuff. You may not agree always but they are giving you the opinion straight without any hidden agenda. Some of the newer dealers are really hucksters doing all kinds of spin to try and make a buck. A lot of the information they put out on the boards is 100% incorrect but people newer to comics takes it as fact and runs with it.

those are two extremes you are mentioning. There are plenty of folks who fall in the middle and on the side of Gator/Bedrock

He wasn't talking about you :baiting:

But I will buy from a black hearted flipper like you any day :cloud9:

He wasn't talking about you :baiting:

But I will buy from a black hearted flipper like you any day :cloud9:

:whee:

those are two extremes you are mentioning. There are plenty of folks who fall in the middle and on the side of Gator/Bedrock

1000% correct.

I guess I need to remember to show pics of my pre-code horror collection and a bio of my comic collecting life in the first post of my next sales thread. Wouldn't want to be considered a "wannabe", "mercenary", "black hearted flipper" or whatever else.

The marketplace needn't be under discussion. I assume we all recognize that the marketplace should be populated by comic sellers. (shrug)

Besides, I can't remember the last time you started a thread discussing the investment potential of a book or character, or how much of a premium should white pages command. ;)

The marketplace isn't under discussion. I assumed we would all recognize that the marketplace would be populated by comic sellers. (shrug)

Besides, I can't remember the last time you started a thread discussing the investment potential of a book or character. ;)

I would think the people that are here primarily/only to sell would fall into the group we are talking about. Maybe not.

I don't invest in comics and I think those threads are a little unfortunate On the other hand, I am guilty of reading (daily) the silver/bronze/copper "what's hot" threads. In fact, they are some of the most useful discussions going. I mean, after 10 years, tens of thousands of books going through my hands, and tens of thousands of posts, it's hard to find interesting ground that hasn't already been covered. The truth is, without the buying and selling aspect I think I would be bored with comics and with this board. Far from being a negative, the mercantile aspect keeps me into the hobby.

It's not difficult to weed out the people who live and die with the sales they are trying to make using the tactics they choose and the actual dealers who consistently deliver customer service because they aren't relying on that one sale to survive another day.

Would you rather buy from a dealer who was / is a comic book collector and/or reader or from someone who just pays attention to the market and sees their customers strictly as dollar signs?

I'm probably putting my neck out there commenting in this thread as its clearly geared towards individuals like me, but the "cool books" line is tiring at best...

And the answer is no, it doesn't matter who one buys from. If the buyer is happy with the price, then it shouldn't matter where the book comes from.

If a seller is using deceptive practices and dishonesty to generate sales, that seller won't last long (or at least they shouldn't). The detectives on this site are fantastic and anyone who's not on the up and up is quickly exposed.

I'm quite familiar with those who enjoy taking swipes at me and think that it's all about the $ but frankly, it's not but honestly, is that anyone's business other than mine?

Am I less of a "dealer" b/c I choose not to set up at all the Wizard and Reed Pop shows? Am I a dirty flipper b/c I like to make a profit on the items I sell? Does one have to be a collector to be a true comic fan?

There are several people here who would not fall into the definition of "dealer" by the standards outlined in this thread yet I consider them reliable dealers/sellers by my standards. They have integrity, are honest and deliver the product they say they will. Do I have to like them or call them a friend? Absolutely not...that's irrelevant. As long as someone does what they advertise, they're fine in my book.

I'm probably putting my neck out there commenting in this thread as its clearly geared towards individuals like me, but the "cool books" line is tiring at best...

And the answer is no, it doesn't matter who one buys from. If the buyer is happy with the price, then it shouldn't matter where the book comes from.

If a seller is using deceptive practices and dishonesty to generate sales, that seller won't last long (or at least they shouldn't). The detectives on this site are fantastic and anyone who's not on the up and up is quickly exposed.

I'm quite familiar with those who enjoy taking swipes at me and think that it's all about the $ but frankly, it's not but honestly, is that anyone's business other than mine?

Am I less of a "dealer" b/c I choose not to set up at all the Wizard and Reed Pop shows? Am I a dirty flipper b/c I like to make a profit on the items I sell? Does one have to be a collector to be a true comic fan?

There are several people here who would not fall into the definition of "dealer" by the standards outlined in this thread yet I consider them reliable dealers/sellers by my standards. They have integrity, are honest and deliver the product they say they will. Do I have to like them or call them a friend? Absolutely not...that's irrelevant. As long as someone does what they advertise, they're fine in my book.

"Cool books", for me anyway, has been aimed primarily at buyers rather than sellers. Those buyers that loudly yell from the mountaintop about integrity and trustworthiness and fair play but turn around and knowingly buy from and support shady dealers. "Shady" by either their actions and dealings here or in the real world.

There are a lot of terrible people that sell comic books that continue to flourish because of these buyers. Hence "cool books".

"Cool books", for me anyway, has been aimed primarily at buyers rather than sellers. Those buyers that loudly yell from the mountaintop about integrity and trustworthiness and fair play but turn around and knowingly buy from and support shady dealers. "Shady" by either their actions and dealings here or in the real world.

There are a lot of terrible people that sell comic books that continue to flourish because of these buyers. Hence "cool books".

Good to know (thumbs u

It's comics as commodities - pork bellies made of paper. The focus of the boards on dealing comics has to a degree taken over from the focus on collecting them. Here's to hoping that the discussions on the history of comics and of comic collecting, their creation and contributions to popular culture, stories about comic finds, and the personalities involved with creation, dealing, and collecting stay prominent. They're a core of the hobby.

This sums it up for me nicely. I have nothing against even the flippiest of flippers; more power to you. But most of the threads these days are dominated by speculator talk, and it's incredibly uninteresting to someone like myself who doesn't engage the hobby that way. A bit of balance would be nice.

That pretty much sums it up :applause: