• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should the Boards name be changed to 'Dealers Society Message Boards'?

157 posts in this topic

Flippers Society maybe.

It seems there's only a handful of actual pure collectors / readers here and everyone else is a flipper, dealer or wannabe. (shrug)

How many of us are in the handful? I feel alone.

:hi:

Seems so to me.

Sounds like a poll is needed! :devil:

What, you mean an unscientific, self-selected poll that would be rejected by any real pollster...?

meh

you mean the typical Forum poll? Exactly. lol

Dealers are but a handful on here. That come to mind: GAtor, Reece, Storms, Dale Roberts, Greenham, Flaming_Telepath, Bedrock

I consider those that attend shows ( those that actually set up ), hold inventory, have a brick and mortar shop(s) etc. : dealers.

Most everyone else is just a wannabee.

So should it be called Wannabee Society Message Boards?

My 2 cents as a frequent (daily) reader, rare poster, and very rare buyer or seller:

I'm a private collector. There are a lot of dealers here. We both are looking to buy the same thing -- comics, at the lowest price we can get. In that sense, I have no problem with what comes up for sale on the boards.

I do have a very tough time selling anything, because what I have to sell is undercopies of common comics in mid-grade condition. Nobody's looking for those.

But I will occasionally run across a good deal (for me) and, if I manage to get lucky and "win," have been very happy with those purchases.

Yeah, 90% of what is for sale doesn't interest me -- slabbed comics, $1000+ price tags, DC, GA, BA. So? 90% of what's in my grocery store doesn't interest me. 90% of what's in the department store doesn't interest me. Eventually I'll spend my money on something in the 10% that does.

And the sale forums are interesting to browse just to get an idea of what's hot and not, what current prices are, and to see images of really cool comics that I won't see anywhere else (much less own). Also, to see the same comic trade hands four or five times. ;)

And there's more to the message boards than the sales forum -- I've spent many hours reading about restoration, collecting, trivia, scams, any number of intriguing stories about this hobby I've been passionate about for 40 years.

Finally, you don't need to be a dealer or big spender to enjoy the banter, snarkiness, wisecracks, and -- in the occasional charity thread -- the outpouring of real affection that warms the *spoon*les of my heart.

^^

My 2 cents as a frequent (daily) reader, rare poster, and very rare buyer or seller:

I'm a private collector. There are a lot of dealers here. We both are looking to buy the same thing -- comics, at the lowest price we can get. In that sense, I have no problem with what comes up for sale on the boards.

I do have a very tough time selling anything, because what I have to sell is undercopies of common comics in mid-grade condition. Nobody's looking for those.

But I will occasionally run across a good deal (for me) and, if I manage to get lucky and "win," have been very happy with those purchases.

Yeah, 90% of what is for sale doesn't interest me -- slabbed comics, $1000+ price tags, DC, GA, BA. So? 90% of what's in my grocery store doesn't interest me. 90% of what's in the department store doesn't interest me. Eventually I'll spend my money on something in the 10% that does.

And the sale forums are interesting to browse just to get an idea of what's hot and not, what current prices are, and to see images of really cool comics that I won't see anywhere else (much less own). Also, to see the same comic trade hands four or five times. ;)

And there's more to the message boards than the sales forum -- I've spent many hours reading about restoration, collecting, trivia, scams, any number of intriguing stories about this hobby I've been passionate about for 40 years.

Finally, you don't need to be a dealer or big spender to enjoy the banter, snarkiness, wisecracks, and -- in the occasional charity thread -- the outpouring of real affection that warms the *spoon*les of my heart.

^^

I'm in very much the same boat. I frequently read the topics on this board whether or not I have anything to contribute. I have a very particular collection so its probably 99% of what is out there doesn't interest me. However, even being on the fringes its interesting to see what is going on in the centre. In that case I am a collector but because of my very specific collection I'm not a big contributed. Maybe this is the case for a lot of people. They might not have as much to contribute widely on the subject as dealers.

Maybe the difference on the boards is because dealers have so much more invested in the business and take a different level of interest that collectors that they seen more prevalent?