• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poor no more

21 posts in this topic

Does anybody use the Poor description when grading anymore? I see comics with no back covers or missing pages called Fair in the for sale section here. I think folks are afraid to give it a poor grade as it's such an ugly word and will hurt the sale, it's the N word of comicdom.

Overstreet says missing back cover or a non-story page is Fair.

But no, Poor is a dirty word. CGC doesn't help: brittle books don't get punished in grading like they should, and they'd rather call a book incomplete than Poor.

I am in the process of Grading my books and there are a few that I have graded PR 0.5 that are not Remainder Copies.

I am a Reading Copy/Complete My Runs kind of guy but I have not really looked at my books closely in about 7 years and I am very surprised by some of the books I purchased, I must have been oblivious.

Here are a few examples of books I graded as PR 0.5.

ztj0hu.jpg

2lsy9l.jpg

sov5fo.jpg

10fym1v.jpg

I am in the process of Grading my books and there are a few that I have graded PR 0.5 that are not Remainder Copies.

I am a Reading Copy/Complete My Runs kind of guy but I have not really looked at my books closely in about 7 years and I am very surprised by some of the books I purchased, I must have been oblivious.

ztj0hu.jpg

2lsy9l.jpg

sov5fo.jpg

10fym1v.jpg

Those are some well snuggled books. I like 'em!

If comics could talk what a story they could tell, imagine little Timmy's first trip away from home or even a fly's last thoughts the story continues... I love em.

And that is why I have no problem with Subscription Creases, Arrival Dates or Remainder Copies(for older books) because it is all part of the history of the book and the times in which they were published/distributed.

ztj0hu.jpg

2lsy9l.jpg

sov5fo.jpg

10fym1v.jpg

Those are some well snuggled books. I like 'em!

Well loved and enjoyed

I use it, as any other grade term. :)

In general, I use Poor if the book is incomplete, and Poor/Fair if it’s decently presenting but worse than a Fair. marvelmaniac's examples are excellent examples.

And no, "poor" as a word does not have any bias to me, as it should be with all words it just depends on how you use it, and respect its original meaning.