• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Schomburg book

8 posts in this topic

I was VERY disappointed. No Cap covers, no Human Torch covers, no America's Best, no Black Terror. I expected war covers to be heavily represented, but 3 out of every 4 covers reproduced are not war covers.

Fans of his post-war sci-fi stuff might enjoy it more, although the pictures are organized in a completely random fashion. Other than a brief essay at the beginning of the book, there's no text to speak of.

Looking at select titles in th Photojournal is a much more rewarding experience.

Yeah, definite emphasis on post-war Exciting & Thrilling - cool stuff, but I'm not spending $25 on it.

It's the sort of thing I'll pick up if I find it half price.

No Cap covers, no Human Torch covers

So there are Timely WWII covers but they skipped these titles entirely?

That is pretty strange. It doesn't seem like it would take someone with a whole lot of common sense to realize that the war covers are what he is most famous for and that they should receive emphasis in a book like this.

Too bad!

Pete

Yeah, definite emphasis on post-war Exciting & Thrilling - cool stuff, but I'm not spending $25 on it.

It's the sort of thing I'll pick up if I find it half price.

actually in the deluxe issue there are some timely covers.....and a copy of the original art for Human Torch 16....

The fact that it is "Thrilling" indicates they wanted to focus on the Nedor covers.....

"pays youse money and takes youse choice" or not....jb

I was VERY disappointed. No Cap covers, no Human Torch covers, no America's Best, no Black Terror. I expected war covers to be heavily represented, but 3 out of every 4 covers reproduced are not war covers.

Fans of his post-war sci-fi stuff might enjoy it more, although the pictures are organized in a completely random fashion. Other than a brief essay at the beginning of the book, there's no text to speak of.

Looking at select titles in th Photojournal is a much more rewarding experience.

gotta agree with nearmint here. Bud Plant had the book out in San Fran and i picked it up to buy, but after thumbing through it, put it back down. lots of the stuff i expected to see was just not there................ frown.gif

As Jon said, with "Thrilling" in the title, I wasn't surprised that the book focused on Schomburg's Nedor work.

Still, there should have been far more war covers. Heck, there should have been far more covers period. One book per page, when there easily could have been 2, 3, or 4.

And Startling #49 is a great cover, but do we need to see it 3 times in the same book?