• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with Stan Lee?

85 posts in this topic

I guess we're even. I've never met the man and he doesn't recognize me.

What I don't get is the expectations of some fans have that Stan Lee owes them or something. True, he wouldn't be in the position he's in if not for his fans, but what he does with his time and energy is his business.

Also I mentioned in earlier posts that I've made a point of only getting signed vintage material Stan actually worked on and have mostly looked for nice books he hasn't signed a lot of. Or that were in some way special for a Stan Lee Signature.

Me too, Mr. Tony Starks. ;)

TOS39cgc.jpg

Since it is not in a yellow slab with the signature being certified by CGC, is this signature then considered the same as a pen scrawl or a defect to the book? In other words, would this book have graded higher as a 8.5 or a 9.0 copy if the uncertified signature was not there?

Also I mentioned in earlier posts that I've made a point of only getting signed vintage material Stan actually worked on and have mostly looked for nice books he hasn't signed a lot of. Or that were in some way special for a Stan Lee Signature.

TOS39cgc.jpg

Since it is not in a yellow slab with the signature being certified by CGC, is this signature then considered the same as a pen scrawl or a defect to the book? In other words, would this book have graded higher as a 8.5 or a 9.0 copy if the uncertified signature was not there?

Probably 8.5 since it is seen as a defect.

TOS39cgc.jpg

Probably 8.5 since it is seen as a defect.

It's beautiful is what it is!

Pretty sure the comic merits an 8.0 grade - there's a light but perceptible color breaking crease at the lower right corner of the front cover. Given that the signature is clearly Stan's, it's hard to envision it having an effect on the grade, since that would undermine the very basis of the CGC Signature Series.

With the thousands upon thousands of Stan autographs emerging over the last 5 years or so, I think it's cool to have a far more scarce example from several decades ago. I had another comic signed by Kirby at the NY Comic Con 40 years ago, and got a bunch of other creator signatures at that show, too (Adams, Smith, Wrightson, Perez, Claremont).