• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's up with Stan Lee?

85 posts in this topic

Stan Lee is plenty active on the Comic Con circuit. He was at Amazing Hawaii mid September. Below is what is listed on StanLeecollectibles.com, which is NOT everything. For instance, I know he showed up for one day at Charlotte (Heroescon 2015)

His signature is now $100. And as the OP mentioned, DWC split into two separate companies. DWC now works with Voldemort. Celestial-comics.com - works with CGC.

Emerald City Comic Con Seattle, WA March 27-29th, 2015

Mega Con Orlando, FL April 10-12th, 2015

Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo Calgary, AB April 16-19th, 2015

C2E2 Chicago, IL April 24-26th, 2015

AC*BC: Atlantic City Boardwalk Con Atlantic City, NJ May 14-17th, 2015

Comicpalooza Houston, TX May 22-25th, 2015

Dallas Fax Expo Dallas, TX May 29-31st, 2015

Comic Con International: San Diego

San Diego, CA July 8-12th, 2015

Boston Comic Con Boston, MA July 31-Aug 2nd,,2015

Alamo City Comic Con San Antonio, TX

Sep 11th-Sep 13th,2015

Amazing Hawaii Con Honolulu, Hi

Sep 18th-Sept 20th,2015

Stan Lee is plenty active on the Comic Con circuit. He was at Amazing Hawaii mid September. Below is what is listed on StanLeecollectibles.com, which is NOT everything. For instance, I know he showed up for one day at Charlotte (Heroescon 2015)

His signature is now $100. And as the OP mentioned, DWC split into two separate companies. DWC now works with Voldemort. Celestial-comics.com - works with CGC.

Sep 11th-Sep 13th,2015

Sep 18th-Sept 20th,2015

Interesting.... Only one Canadian location that Stan had but cancelled his show up. Not Canada Fan Expo or Vancouver Fan Expo in 2016? (shrug)

Sep 11th-Sep 13th,2015

Sep 18th-Sept 20th,2015

Interesting.... Only one Canadian location that Stan had but cancelled his show up. Not Canada Fan Expo or Vancouver Fan Expo in 2016? (shrug)

Those dates and schedule are for 2015.

Aesthetically, Stan Lee's signature looks terrible on books. He uses a giant thick marker that ends up looking like a mess and hides way too much of the cover.

I have had Stan use an extra fine tip marker and it looks very neat, unfortunately not many people ask him to use their marker.

Smart move. I love signed books, as long as it looks good.

Stan Lee is plenty active on the Comic Con circuit.

His signature is now $100.

If I was getting $100 bucks a pop for my signature, I would be pretty active too.

At least until it is time for me to hit the big comic con in the sky. :/

You can buy multiple Stan Lee signed books, SS, on eBay, in a nice range of grades, for less than $100.

I decided to check on this and I'm not finding it so much to be true. There are some auctions ending anytime between 1-9 days that MIGHT end up less than $100. But BIN, searching "CGC, signed Stan Lee" nothing in a SS label is under $100. There are two blue label CGC books - My Friend Emma 41 in 3.5 and 4.0 for $50 each. But the least expensive SS books (3) are $109 - $110 + shipping.

Stan's signature just recently went to $100 - I think Charlotte (HeroesCon) was the first time he charged $100. And it was on the heels of C2E2, where he only charged $60. I think his standard price several years before that has been $60-$75.

This past summer suggests that Stan and his manager may have been experimenting with price points. At $100, I doubt I'll seek any more of his signatures. Be interesting to see if his line gets any smaller at $100.

You can buy multiple Stan Lee signed books, SS, on eBay, in a nice range of grades, for less than $100.

I decided to check on this and I'm not finding it so much to be true. There are some auctions ending anytime between 1-9 days that MIGHT end up less than $100. But BIN, searching "CGC, signed Stan Lee" nothing in a SS label is under $100. There are two blue label CGC books - My Friend Emma 41 in 3.5 and 4.0 for $50 each. But the least expensive SS books (3) are $109 - $110 + shipping.

Stan's signature just recently went to $100 - I think Charlotte (HeroesCon) was the first time he charged $100. And it was on the heels of C2E2, where he only charged $60. I think his standard price several years before that has been $60-$75.

This past summer suggests that Stan and his manager may have been experimenting with price points. At $100, I doubt I'll seek any more of his signatures. Be interesting to see if his line gets any smaller at $100.

I think because of his age I don't think it will limit a lot of people. It is the ideology get the sig now regardless of the cost because there may not be a tomorrow to get it.

I think because of his age I don't think it will limit a lot of people. It is the ideology get the sig now regardless of the cost because there may not be a tomorrow to get it.

So true!

I remember being at a CBM sponsored dinner at one of the SD Con's back in the 90's where they had all of the surviving DC creators from the 30's as their special guests. They made themselves available at the end and were more than happy to sign for free, the commemorative edition of the CBM that was done up for that event.

Not being into signatures and autographs, I never bothered to get the special edition signed. Big mistake on my part as one by one, they were gone to the big comic store in the sky in the ensuring years. doh!

Did you check completed listings....?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_sop=15&_nkw=stan%20lee%20ss&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

If you figure that Stan's sig costs $100....and an SS slab costs *about* $30, IF you max out everything on an invoice (25-30 books)...then, at a minimum, the cost to get one done...without a guarantee on the grade...is $130.

There are over 700 (SEVEN HUNDRED) completed listings that are at or below $130, including hundreds of 9.8s, and their grades are GUARANTEED...and that's just in the last two months.

Don't bother with BINs; obviously those are going to be priced ridiculously high.

Look at just completed auctions.

Stan...and several others...are pricing themselves right out of the market. And if the market won't support these prices, and people cannot MAKE MONEY (you know, kinda how COMIC BOOK STORES operate), then those who create SS books to sell are not going to do it anymore.

Stan certainly doesn't need the money. He and Max are just milking it.

No, I did not. Thank you for pointing it out

Following your link, the first book actually signed by Lee and in a SS holder was $68. An FF 90. And it looks like that indeed there have been a fair number of issues signed by Lee under that $100 price point. Including a Spawn 227, which is a cover swipe of ASM 300. Neither of which Stan Lee had anything to do with... :facepalm:

But I'll have to start watching for SS books signed by Lee on eBay. There a Not Brand Echh #7 in 9.2 SS signed by Lee that only went for $66 plus shipping. I'd have paid a bit more than that!

No, I did not. Thank you for pointing it out

Following your link, the first book actually signed by Lee and in a SS holder was $68. An FF 90. And it looks like that indeed there have been a fair number of issues signed by Lee under that $100 price point. Including a Spawn 227, which is a cover swipe of ASM 300. Neither of which Stan Lee had anything to do with... :facepalm:

But I'll have to start watching for SS books signed by Lee on eBay. There a Not Brand Echh #7 in 9.2 SS signed by Lee that only went for $66 plus shipping. I'd have paid a bit more than that!

The cheapest one I see is a Star Wars Princess Leia #1 for $53 + $13 ship.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-K-CGC-SS-9-6-STAR-WARS-PRINCESS-LEIA-1-BABY-LTD-SIGNED-SKOTTIE-YOUNG-STAN-LEE-/231644684058?hash=item35ef195f1a

These folks are literally throwing money down the drain by getting these books signed by Stan.

And that doesn't account at all for the hundreds, if not thousands, of books that sell for less than the added cost of his signature (that is, a blue 8.5 sells for $500...and a yellow 8.5 sells for...$500.)

Frankly, it's madness.

Stan Lee is going to go down as a bigger legend than people think today and he's similar to Walt Disney in that he's the genius behind creating (or co-creating) so many of today's (and tomorrow's) classic characters that will outlast his lifetime, your lifetime and are permanent characters in perennial pop culture.

Generations will go by and when he's long since dead, no matter how many of his autographs were signed when he was alive, there won't be enough out there to appease the demand in the future.

I remember when Mickey Mantle was at almost every baseball card show signing and after he passed away, people realized he's no longer signing and his autographs once taken for granted were in high demand.

I think the key with his signature as an investment is authentication, so those CGC books, any book he signs should have a minimum value of $150 just for the autograph and authentication let alone the aesthetic slabbing.

If you look at what he's created in terms of the characters who are popular beyond just people who collect comic books it's amazing.

There was a scare about a year or two ago at his annual Frank and Sons signing. He was slated for an all day signing event but had to bow out about two hours in due to health issues. Fortunately, he was back on his feet the following week and did signatures for the rest of the people who had originally purchased autograph tickets.

Stan Lee is going to go down as a bigger legend than people think today and he's similar to Walt Disney in that he's the genius behind creating (or co-creating) so many of today's (and tomorrow's) classic characters that will outlast his lifetime, your lifetime and are permanent characters in perennial pop culture.

Generations will go by and when he's long since dead, no matter how many of his autographs were signed when he was alive, there won't be enough out there to appease the demand in the future.

I remember when Mickey Mantle was at almost every baseball card show signing and after he passed away, people realized he's no longer signing and his autographs once taken for granted were in high demand.

I think the key with his signature as an investment is authentication, so those CGC books, any book he signs should have a minimum value of $150 just for the autograph and authentication let alone the aesthetic slabbing.

If you look at what he's created in terms of the characters who are popular beyond just people who collect comic books it's amazing.

As valid as your statement is, a majority of the population couldn't care less about Stan Lee. They may appreciate what he has created, but will not shell out $100 for a book signed by him. We will eventually get to a tipping point where people will take his signature if given to them, but otherwise can't justify the expense. Same with all those books with characters he has had no relation to signed, they will also have no real value, e.g. Batman, Superman, ... I recently asked my class of 10 and 11 years if they knew who Joe Shuster was? I got a lot blank stares, then asked if they knew who Superman was and all of them responded yes. They had no clue that Shuster created Superman and certainly wouldn't care to spend hundreds of dollars to purchase his sig. Stan Lee matters to us because we read and appreciate comics, revelence, but does not mean anything to everyone else and most comic readers. The market is over saturated and not as big as we are making it out to be. I think we are nearing that tipping point previously mentioned if prices continue to rise on the cost to purchase his sig or books signed by him.