• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Artists Choice now accepting credit cards?

16 posts in this topic

:o

:whee:

Direct from NYCC, The Artists Choice had a banner declaring that credit cards were accepted.

With prices escalating for modern era artists, it was only a matter of time. The website has no mention of the update yet. NYCC may be the first test.

Cheers!

N.

Being a Canadian citizen and not having an American bank account has always prevented me from doing business with Spencer. I'm glad he is implementing others means of payment. It will open him and his client up to more clients. I'm surprised it has taken them this long.

It could be simply an "at event" option since not many people carry that much cash for original art and taking a personal check that may have NSF is too risky.

I think for online purchases, a lot of sellers either charge a premium (convenience fee) to cover the transaction fees, where others just absorb it as the cost of doing business, and some offer a discount if payment is by cash (money order or check).

Most dealers should accept credit cards for those collectors who don't want to do layaway / payment plans and arrange their own deferred payment through their own credit cards, then they receive payment in full and the collector can get the artwork right away.

According to the NDSM, merchants are not supposed to impose minimum transaction amounts for use of credit cards nor impose a surcharge or fee as a condition of sale 'tho.

I wish Spencer would allow this, at least for repeat customers. Just the other day I ask a New based boardie to make a purchase for me because its such a hassle to have to send a wire transfer from Canada for payment. I would have bought a lot more pages over the last few years if credit cards or Paypal was accepted.

I think the fees add up at times at 2-3% of the sale, and keeping in mind at Artist Rep is different from an Art Dealer in that they represent, not own the artwork, so if there's a piece priced at $1,000 the artist probably gets $900 of that and then the rep gets $100 (assuming a 10% commission), then add in the 2-3% credit card fees and that whittles down the profit margin to a net of $80.

So, that's why a lot of folks don't take credit cards.

I think most, however, as I'd mentioned factor it into the pricing or chalk it up as "the cost of doing business."

Being a Canadian citizen and not having an American bank account has always prevented me from doing business with Spencer. I'm glad he is implementing others means of payment. It will open him and his client up to more clients. I'm surprised it has taken them this long.

Really? Why? Money orders in $US funds work well, and they're very affordable.

He won't use them for some reason?

Getting money order is such a hassle. Credit card is easier for us.

Yoram

Do you know if it was a NYCC event only option or is this a new policy applicable to the website going forward?

Sorry that I didn't see you at NYCC this year.

Cheers!

N.

Hiya, Nelson.

I wasn't in NYCC this year. The exchange rate made the trip cost prohibitive so I didn't attend.

This is the second year that Spencer has accepted credit cards in NYCC, and if it was successful, I wouldn't be surprised if he implements it as part of his regular website payment options.

I think the issue was with Canada Post MO's and an additional step in processing payment/extra time to receive the cash.

However, any Canadian Bank MO drawn on a US bank is fine. For example, RBC MO's are drawn on Chase Manhattan bank in the US, and they are no problem for Spencer to deposit. (thumbs u

I think the issue was with Canada Post MO's and an additional step in processing payment/extra time to receive the cash.

However, any Canadian Bank MO drawn on a US bank is fine. For example, RBC MO's are drawn on Chase Manhattan bank in the US, and they are no problem for Spencer to deposit. (thumbs u

Yeah, I use TD Canada Trust MO's al the time with Spencer. Never had a problem.

Malvin