• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It's 1994, and you have $550. What would you buy?

45 posts in this topic

I just scanned and posted 25 pieces of art from the October 1994 Graphic Collectibles catalog to www.comicartads.com

You can see the images by scrolling through the most recently posted scans, but I also am listing the artist, art, and prices below.

I was wondering, if you had a time machine and $550 (the cost of the priciest pieces), what piece(s) from this list would you buy:

Adams, Art--Longshot 1, page 14--$225

Adams, Neal--Our Army at War 182, page 1--$300

Andru, Ross--Wonder Woman 284 cover--$200

Buckler, Rich--Daredevil 135 cover--$250

Byrne, John--Power Man 48, page 1--$175

Byrne, John--X-Men 122, page 22--$550

Chaykin, Howard--American Flagg 4, page 11--$125

Cockrum, Dave--Giant-Size Avenges 2, page 7--$80

Colan, Gene--Amazing Adventures 4, page 7--$175

Colan, Gene--Daredevil 21, page 7--$250

Crandall, Reed--Creepy 50, page 7--$125

Davis, Alan--Detective Comics 569, page 14--$125

Dillin, Richard--Justice League of America 176 cover--$200

Garcia-Lopez, Jose Luis--Adventure Comics 462, page 2--$70

Giffen, Keith--All-Star Comics 60, page 2--$125

Heath, Russ--The Nam 65, page 14--$150

Heck, Don--Journey into Mystery 100, page 3--$275

Infantino, Carmine--Supergirl 19, page 8--$75

Jones, Kelley--Venom: The Madness 3, page 2--$150

Kane, Gil--Amazing Spider-Man Annual 10, page 11--$150

Kane, Gil--Astonishing Tales 11, page 20--$100

Kirby, Jack--Fantastic Four 97, page 17--$550

Kubert, Joe--All-American Men of War 20, page 5--$225

Lee, Jae--X-Men Annual 16, page 32--$350

Lim, Ron--Spider-Man Unlimited 3, page 17--$115

Would you blow the entire $550 on Byrne X-Men or Kirby FF, would you grab some covers, or Venom: The Madness? Cheers, Lee

This validates the legacy of Mitch @ Graphic Collectibles as a straight shooting dealer who has always priced artwork to the fair market value. I have a lot of pieces in my collection that I've acquired through Graphic Collectibles and a laundry list of pieces I passed on with great regret today.

The Byrne x-men page and the buckler cover and negotiate until he took $550 for the pair.

"What if I paid cash?"

Funny -- I remember this ad. I did have $550 in 1994, and I bought Kirby with it. But not FF 97 pages, since those were inked by Giacoia and I could hold out for a Sinnott page that would only be, y'know, $650. WHICH NEVER ENDED UP HAPPENING.

Back to the Delorean, Doc!

Back in 1994 I had a similar situation. I had finished college a couple years before and working for a small design firm not making much money. Artworkworld had two pieces for sale I really wanted but I didn't have the money for both of them.

One was by Bill Siekiewicz from the X-Men Wedding Album which was $350.

The other was one of the nicest pin-up by Bob Layton of X-Factor, one of the rejected designs for the series. Think it was $250

I didn't have the money for both so I bought the Siekiewicz. Figured I would get the other when I had the cash, but then the Layton sold very quickly. I was really bummer but flash foreward 12 years and it appears on ebay, I end of winning it and find its been 400 miles sould of me for all that time.

1lastlook.jpg

xfactor_designs.jpg

First off, Brian, those are a couple of gems!

To the question at hand, based on the other ads on your site, I would go with a Perez WW or Teen Titans cover, the Byrne Man of Steel page, or a Miller Wolverine page.

Alas, I am thinking about the stuff I wasted money on as a kid in the 80's and early 90's!!

ALSO you don't have any ads for Sandman art but 1994 would have been a very good year to buy some cheap pages. ;)

Thanks for playing along everyone! I have really enjoyed seeing your responses. I didn't ask what would have been the more cringe-worthy buys from the catalog, but I think spending $350 of your $550 on the Jae Lee X-Men Annual splash would have to rank pretty high in that category.

And because Sandman art came up, I have posted the two Kelley Jones Sandman art ads I have, on www.comicartads.com

One ad is from 1994, and the other ad is from 1992. I agree that 1992-1994 would have been a good time to buy Sandman original art. Best, Lee

I would get the Kirby.

I remember in the 90's at wondercon, Oakland or SF, I don't remember which, for the first time seeing a table of OA, my mind couldn't even deal with it....it was such a messy pile up, so I moved on my way to find more comics.

Not to derail the thread, but back in '84 I was at Ithacon where all the Swamp Thing artists were in attendance. In the "Art Room" John Totleben pulled out the spread that had Arcane and his demons holding Abbey... $500. and on the wall was page 2 and 3 from House of Secrets (Swamp things first appearance) with the price of $200 for each page. I knew these were the pages to get but I only had $20 in my pocket and not a pot to you know what....