• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Howard Greber (Eggs Ackley)

143 posts in this topic

Very sad to hear of Howard passing. Much too young to go. I had a number of dealings with him over the years, and the past couple he did mention letting go of some treasures due to his health, but of course I did not realize it was terminal/hospice level cancer type of health issue.

Really makes you examine your own life.

I phoned Howard up on Sunday evening and was given the sad news by his daughter that he had died the previous day, which was quite a gut-punch, as I'd thought of him as being one of my best pals on the boards. I'll miss those telephone chats.

I 'd known that he was at the terminal / hospice stage for a while now, but he'd requested that I keep quiet about it here.

One thing that was quite obvious during those chats was how much of a true comics fan he was ; especially if it was before an event such as Comic-Con, when he'd be looking forward quite excitedly to meeting his underground comics icons, such as Bobby London, one of the creators of Air Pirates Funnies. Always nice to see that kind of joyful geekishness.

I initially got to know him via my interest in the work of Richard Corben, and Howard got me many high grade and scarce books. What's most important here, though, is that that has been an interest I've had ever since I started collecting in the 70s and, as I said to him a couple of months ago, I wished we'd met much earlier : it would've been a blast as we had so much in common.

Condolences to his family. Howard, pal, you'll be missed. A lot.

That makes sense now Ken. When I saw that Howard was having health issues and selling bulk lots, I asked him to make up a custom box for me. I figured I have the money and he needed help. I suggested Corben, Crumb, Shelton, etc.

What I got was incredible. I don't know if he knew time was short or not, but he sent me a full priority box of goodness. A full Run of Den 1st print, full run of Fantagor 1st print, Mr.Natural, Big Comics, Freak Brothers....all 1st prints and in high-grade. I was blown away.

We spoke for the first time on the telephone 2 months ago. He researched a collection I ran into. The type of guy that went through 10 pages of books and took the time to make sure I didn't make a mistake with the purchase. Class act. RIP

I wouldn't have any of my undergrounds and my American Splendor 1 if I had not had the pleasure of dealing with him. This is just sad.

Reading the obit, both of his parents are still alive, but they've lost all three of their sons. Those poor people. I hope someone's there for them.

I had brought some comics from him last year, I think. He was great in his messages sent to me. Sorry to learn that he had passed gone!

:sorry: condolences to his family for their loss .... RIP