• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

For Dungeon:

here's that necro that went for 35k

necro1_zpsqcd6jogn.jpg

necro2_zpsmzgy3svs.jpg

Wow! I'm flabbergasted. NOT because it's a "work of art", which collectors outside of Mtg wouldn't really appreciate, but as a fan of the game since I opened packs of alpha in '93. To me, that is Necropotence.. a card that ruled the scene in the dark days of Magic in '97. And that's what I believe Dan is getting at with the early cards. The artists got paid krapp, and didn't have the rights to their work. Why create an artistic masterpiece in that case? It was work. And Tedin in particular, stood out among the rest. If money weren't an issue, I'd rather have the original Juzam, Orb, time twister, mana vault, than the cover of AF15. That's how much the game meant to me. The nostalgia of the early cards can't compare with the latest cards, regardless of the "quality" of the work. And as Magic continues to roll along *world wide*, the art of say Alpha- Urza's Destiny will command higher and higher prices. An artistically simple card like Birds of Paradise will some day fetch six figures. I call it! Why? Because it was one of the most used cards in the history of the game. And as far as I'm concerned, getting the Lotus at under 100K will be looked at as a steal in the future, based on what it meant to the game. I'll mark this for future reference. :grin:

Edited by Dungeon 2.0

...kind of like modern sports cards and the whole 'hot rookie' syndrome.
1988 Donruss Gregg Jefferies :)

http://blog.squeezeplaycards.com/?p=6

Man, my '88 Fleer Glossy Gregg Jefferies was my prize possession in third grade.

The Donruss Jefferies was a high number card. Without getting deep into it, on the (clear) cello packs you could see the back of the last card in the pack. From there you could use the formula (yup) to identify if a Jefferies was in there or not. That was my first big sweep as a speculator. At one point I had hundreds of Jefferies at pennies each that I got $8-$15/ea for swapping with other collectors and wholesaling to card shops. Some of the swaps I remember were three loose Jefferies for sealed rack packs with a single Jefferies on the top (showing). Those I got $50 for from dealers at card shows. Dealt maybe twenty of those over the course of a year. It was really good while it lasted and (luckily) I was dodging and weaving enough that when the dust settled I only ended up holding six (three empty pocket on a nine pocket sleeve!) Still have them...a cheap and wonderful reminder of those days. From there I went into comics (somehow I figured out cards were dead before it actually happened!) with Death of Superman baggeds, McSpidey #1 golds, cases of Spawn #1, Youngblood #1, Next Men #1, Bloodshot #1, etc etc. Made back my money many times and some I still have, sealed Diamond cases...all in storage....ooooh imagine all the 9.8 and 10.0 'keys' lurking the darkness. Scarcity. Hmmm. It's all bs. All of it. No different than that Donruss Jefferies.

Other than Strasburg?, and Harper, I can't think of a more hyped player than Jefferies was. His cards were gold, and money in the bank at the time. Reminds me of the days when I bought a stack of about 100 each of the '85 topps Olympic cards... yes McGwire.. For about .25 each. :cloud9:

Reminds me of the days when I bought a stack of about 100 each of the '85 topps Olympic cards... yes McGwire.. For about .25 each. :cloud9:

Oh yeah that Olympics McGwire really was something else. Never was able to get a good deal on those, never had a one of them. But for several years that and the 84 Donruss Mattingly were all I could think about, even more than comics. (Well, almost anyway!) Pretty stupid in hindsight. And maybe something people should think about around here in the context of those endless DKRIII covers, the thread of which may hit 1,000 pages at some point :)

Reminds me of the days when I bought a stack of about 100 each of the '85 topps Olympic cards... yes McGwire.. For about .25 each. :cloud9:

Oh yeah that Olympics McGwire really was something else. Never was able to get a good deal on those, never had a one of them. But for several years that and the 84 Donruss Mattingly were all I could think about, even more than comics. (Well, almost anyway!) Pretty stupid in hindsight. And maybe something people should think about around here in the context of those endless DKRIII covers, the thread of which may hit 1,000 pages at some point :)

I made a boatload of money off of those in '87, when he was ROY. I had a few left, and one was a PSA 10 I sold for 5K when he broke the HR record. Good thing I dumped it when I did.

And the mattingly? That was our '52 Mantle. When I first got one, I was the cats meow of the 'hood. And I loathe the Yankees. But Mattingly was the exception. Too bad his back crapped out on him, because he was a shoe-in for the hall before that. Just for nostalgia sake, I'm thinking of getting a pSA 10. They're still pricey, though.

The art detective in me had to do some digging. Anybody got some clean shorts for dungeon?

(Nonplayers - these are all grailtastic and on a level similar to or above the pieces involved in the 80k and 92.5k reported sales

Gauntlet of might

image_zps2txdadpr.jpg

Timetwister

image_zps6bx4cdhw.jpg

Dude, are you $&@#%£€ kidding me? I am envious on a scale that has yet to be created. One guy owns all of those? If I had to pick one of them to own, I'd take the time twister, only because it's power 9. For the art, I'd take the chaos orb. Great memories of them all. :golfclap: