• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's LEGION TV show by FX
1 1

289 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2017 at 4:20 AM, Beige said:

Save it on your cable and watch in chunks.

I watched 1-4 last night and was blown away.

I don't know the story from comics as I have not read them, but as a fast-paced/low-paced show its an absolute mindfl uck

Really good - just don't leave it a week between viewing.

I've read that from a few folks across different forums is how they really enjoyed binge-watching the first three to four episodes.

Where they spent the first few episodes thoroughly exploring how twisted his world is from David's perspective, the last two episodes seems to be about his gaining ground on his illness - only to be knocked back some in Episode 5. But what I liked in this last episode was the further bonding of David and Sydney after all that distance between them. And finally seeing how truly powerful David is when pushed or threatened.

Spoiler

I am really leaning towards Oliver being the Shadow King. When Mrs. Bird mentioned he has been in hibernation for 21 years, that seems around the time David as a young boy started to demonstrate his loss of control.

FX And Marvel Officially Renew LEGION For A Second Season; Expected To Air Sometime Next Year

Fans of David Haller's (Dan Stevens) reality-altering adventures will be delighted to hear that FX and Marvel have officially renewed Legion for a second season, which is expected to air early next year. 

The news was jointly announced FX's Presidents of Original Programming, Eric Schrier and Nick Grad:

“The first season of Legion was a stunning achievement,” said Schrier. “More than a new series, Legion is a wholly original take on the super hero genre. Our thanks to Noah Hawley for taking the creative risks and shattering expectations. It’s a privilege to work again with Noah, his producing partners, the outstanding cast and our partners at Marvel Television on another season of Legion.”

“We are thrilled there will be a new season of LEGION. Noah’s spectacular take on David Haller and all the other characters he brought to life makes us ache for more. We’re particularly proud of our partners at FX and the success we share on our first TV series together,” added Jeph Loeb, Executive Producer and Head of Marvel Television.

Have to agree. What a fantastic episode. And the soundtrack throughout was just incredible. That closing song was a cover from David Bowie. The lyrics so fit the episode.

Wake up you sleepy head

Put on some clothes, get out of bed
Put another log on the fire for me
I've made some breakfast and coffee
Look out my window and what do I see
A crack in the sky
and a hand reaching down to me
All the nightmares came today
And it looks as though they're
here to stay

What are we coming to
No room for me, no fun for you
I think about a world to come
Where the books were found by the Golden ones
Written in pain, written in awe
By a puzzled man who questioned
What we came here for
All the strangers came today
And it looks as though they're here to stay

Oh You Pretty Things
Don't you know you're driving your
Mamas and Papas insane
Oh You Pretty Things
Mamas and Papas insane
Let me make it plain
You gotta make way for the Superior

Look at your children
See their faces in golden rays
Don't kid yourself they belong to you
They're the start of a coming race
The earth is a person_without_enough_empathy
We've finished our news
Sapiens have outgrown their use
All the strangers came today
And it looks as though they're here to stay

Oh You Pretty Things
Mamas and Papas insane
Oh You Pretty Things
Mamas and Papas insane
Let me say it again
You gotta make way for the Superior

14 hours ago, Pitboss said:

Tonights episode was fantastic! Pretty much all doubt removed about the Shadow King/Lenny connection.

The Ant Fungus/Love story by Lenny made me laugh out loud lol

I liked that part & when she started dancing around after going through the disappearing door. Other than that, it was another pretty uneventful episode. Very little action for an X-Men based TV series. It's become more of a psychological drama than thriller with the passing of each episode. I'm honestly a little surprised that it's being renewed for a 2nd season.

I'm tired of every episode taking place in David's head.  Much like Bill Sienkiewicz's art on Legion's first appearance in New Mutants #25, this is all too abstract for me.  :insane:

5 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

I liked that part & when she started dancing around after going through the disappearing door. Other than that, it was another pretty uneventful episode. Very little action for an X-Men based TV series. It's become more of a psychological drama than thriller with the passing of each episode. I'm honestly a little surprised that it's being renewed for a 2nd season.

Fox trying to save face.  Plus it's part of a larger franchise, and they want to launch a second X show next year (hopefully NOT by Noah Hawley).  It would look really bad if Fox acknowledged defeat with its first attempt at this sort of thing.  

It's the same reason why Disney keeps renewing MAOS despite its own bad ratings  (although at least that show "tries" to be enjoyable and advance an actual plot line).

-J.

Truly was a super episode! Anyone calling this boring, I just don't know what channel they are watching.

- Xavier's chair clearly shown - with the large 'X' wheel spoke.

JlDeC1D.png

- The British accent was a nice touch. And I agree, the 'Like I said I'm your rational mind' was really funny.
- Loved the mind chalkboard animation, as simple as it was. But playing out the battle between Xavier and Shadow King was cool.
- Like has been noted, the comedy throughout is just enough without distracting from the story.
- Oliver finally coming forward to assist only added to the fun of the show. Yet we have so many characters now. Nice touch!
- The destruction of The Eye was some wild CGI, seeing him boxed up and crushed by the Shadow King.

What a show!

Probably my favorite episode aside from the pilot, but I'm still not much enjoying almost everything taking place in his head.  The British voice was funny.  Jemaine Clement continues to be the highlight of the cast.

Ep7 has to be one of the wildest things I've ever seen on TV and Fox should have Noah Hawley do the next X-Men movie. Imagine something on the big screen as crazy Legion as the franchise follow up to Logan and Deadpool!

This show will be talked about for years after it end for sure

22 minutes ago, Lonzilla said:

Imagine something on the big screen as crazy Legion as the franchise follow up to Logan and Deadpool!

I doubt most people could get into it.  I always hated the X-Men issues where Xavier was off in the astral plane doing stuff that had no direct correlation to reality, including the issue of X-Men where the Shadow King first appeared pictured below.  They seemed too ethereal, abstract, or like figments of the imagination.  Kind of the same frustration when a director shows you a bunch of stuff but then the character wakes up and you realize it was all a dream.  Seems like a cop-out.

latest?cb=20070228222908

I never understood the idea of the astral plane anyway.  It seemed to take the Xavier's telepathic powers and add magic to them, putting things into the realm that in Marvel Comics was inhabited by Doctor Strange and Thor.  The X-Men are the children of the atom, the by-product of science and evolution.  Yes, it's all essentially magic anyway since there's no viable mutation that could allow someone like Storm to ever control the weather--which Stan Lee has also said he never liked about Storm--but it had enough science for me to enjoy it as unique from the type of magic defined by Merlin from the Arthur legend or Gandalf and Saruman from Lord of the Rings.  I could never get into the astral plane issues because of all this, and I'm not particularly enjoying it here in Legion, either.  But I do like the style of the show, without that I would've stopped watching a while back.

Edited by fantastic_four

40 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I doubt most people could get into it.  I always hated the X-Men issues where Xavier was off in the astral plane doing stuff that had no direct correlation to reality, including the issue of X-Men where the Shadow King first appeared pictured below.  They seemed too ethereal, abstract, or like figments of the imagination.  Kind of the same frustration when a director shows you a bunch of stuff but then the character wakes up and you realize it was all a dream.  Seems like a cop-out.

latest?cb=20070228222908

Indeed it is. One of the lamest, laziest, cheapest narrative devices in all of literature.  

And yeah, it literally describes the first full four episodes of this series, and all of episode 6 as well.

And thanks to Boscoe's well meaning suggestion I did watch episode 7.

Wow, what *spoon*. Okay, it wasn't as deliberately boring as the first 6 episodes.   

But it was relentlessly stupid. 

Spoilers if you don't want me to completely ruin this episode (and basically the whole show for you.)

-Special glasses that somehow magically block out both the sights AND sounds of the seemingly chaotic world of the mental ward?  Stupid.  

- The title cards being used pointlessly (as if a silent movie) over the first actual action sequence since the first episode?  Stupid.  Not to mention distracting.  

- The look of the Shadow king ?  Stupid.  Think, Dan Akroyd from the Coneheads.

-Knowing that, they over use Aubrey Plaza (a genuinely bad, one note "actress" ) as a stand in for the stupid looking shadow king for most of said, stupid, action scene.  

-Literally (and I do mean literally) SPELLING OUT the show, on a chalk board, the ENTIRE SHOW, just in case you didn't already know (Or, more likely, slept through it).  This also, cheap narrative device, by the way, also PROVED how utterly pointless and redundant the ENTIRE FIRST FOUR EPISODES AND SIXTH EPISODES WERE (and, unbelievably, this chalk board garbage was actually the SECOND time this episode that the entire show was spelled out directly to the viewer by a character, the first being in the "secret tube" in the beginning of the episode. Stupid stupid stupid.  

- Killing off the Eye, the one even semi-malevolent character, and the way they did.  Deux ex machina on the highest order  (yet, ANOTHER cheap narrative device).  And stupid.  

-Okay So David is basically Keanu Reeves at the end of the first Matrix?  Yeah that's really stupid.  

- And about that "magical crown" he's wearing at the end that somehow magically only suppresses the magic monster's powers.... How exactly was Bill Irwin able to move that and put it on David in the astral plane when it was made pretty clear that rigid objects there were immovable ?  Stupid. [/spolier]

Sorry, but seeing a flash of an "X" didn't give me a big enough of a boner to offset all the crapola that was spewed before.  

And before someone deigns to type out some long drawn out nerd  response that's supposed to "explain" this dumpster fire, don't bother.  I can assure you I get and understand all of it. What I don't get is how this poor nonsense is passing as "art", or, worse yet, "entertainment" to the handful of people left that are actually still watching.  Not only will people NOT be talking about this show in the future, I doubt there will be much of anybody left watching the second season by the time it poops around next year. 

Thanks Boscoe! :sumo::baiting::foryou:

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules