• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC convention and sales recap....

25 posts in this topic

well, last week we ventured upto the big apple to set up at our 8th consecutive NYCC (I believe its been 8, getting old, don't have the recall like I used too)....I have always shared a booth with Filter81, and this year was no different.... I generally ship him my books a week in advance, and they bring them to the show...

all our flights were on time last Wed, so that was good...my son and I got to see the knicks play brazil in an exhibition game (we had delta club seats directly behind the knicks bench...way cool!)...

so figured, it was already a better show this year, than last.... or was it hm

daniele and adam had ordered and dropped off some nice gridwall shelving at our booth the day before (Wed) so I headed to the javits early Thursday morning, with my son, to build the display and get ready...

we arrived at the booth at 7am sharp, and I immediately said to my son ... "we have no shelves".... some background, this is the same gridwall set up that I use at all the shows I do...I have used and set this up a 100 times... I am intimately aware of the hows and whats.... Daniele and Adam only set up at this one show a year, and they had never built this type set up....so in their defense, they ordered from the company what they should have, but the company shipped them the wrong shelves...

not only did we have no shelves that would work, they sent the wrong hex screws, so that the hex wrench didn't fit....

feeling pretty frustrated at this point, I almost said "the heck with it" ....but my son calmed me down, and daniele found a place in NY that sold the shelves, so the boy and I headed out into the streets of NYCC in search of a hardware store and the proper size hex wrench...

by 8:30 our journey was completed, and the hex wrench we bought worked, so I proceeded to build the racks...

meanwhile, daniele was out buying shelves...

slowly but surely, it was coming together...

unfortunately, they opened the show at 10am, and by the time daniele was able to make it to the javits, the place was packed.... imagine trying to carry 4foot wide shelves through 10,000+ folks... that was almost an exercise in futility...

none the less, about 11:30 we were finally able to get the shelves to the booth, and get the books up on the gridwall...

then "our" show started...

for those that don't recall (or care), last year our booth was located in BF Egypt and I literally did NO sales...

well, the first $250 comic I sold on Thursday put us ahead of all of last year!...it could only get better...

about 2 hours later, an action 1, wonder woman 1, sensation 1, superman 2 had all sold....instantly, we were feeling pretty good (6 figure sales will do that)....

so the show ended Thursday GREAT....I was actually looking forward to Friday this year...

some other notable Thursday sales, beyond the big 4 were

GS Xmen 9.2 SS

DD 16

ASm 129

ASM 121

and a few smaller books

by 8:30 our journey was completed, and the hex wrench we bought worked, so I proceeded to build the racks...

unfortunately, they opened the show at 10am, and by the time daniele was able to make it to the javits, the place was packed.... imagine trying to carry 4foot wide shelves through 10,000+ folks... that was almost an exercise in futility...

none the less, about 11:30 we were finally able to get the shelves to the booth, and get the books up on the gridwall...

THAT"S WHY YOU SET UP WEDNESDAY LIKE NORMAL PEOPLE IN CASE THERE ARE PROBLEMS/ISSUES YOU CAN HAVE THEM SOLVED BEFORE SHOW OPENING!!!!

Friday came an any day after the Thursday we had would be a "let down", but not by much lol

some notable sales

ST 110 7.5

FF 66

FF 67

HQ nn

Batman adventure 12 8.5

Xmen 266

ASM 1 4.5

Avengers 1 5.0 SS

Action 9 1.5

JIM 83 5.0

THAT"S WHY YOU SET UP WEDNESDAY LIKE NORMAL PEOPLE IN CASE THERE ARE PROBLEMS/ISSUES YOU CAN HAVE THEM SOLVED BEFORE SHOW OPENING!!!!

clearly that would have been a better course of action...but we arrived into NY late enough Wed and had the BBAll plans (birthday present) that evening, that there wasn't time to make that happen...

So, the show is already a GREAT show, and then Saturday...

Brisk sales again...

HQ nn

Batman 222

Green lantern 87

SW 1

Ghost Rider 1

Captain America comics 32 cgc 5.0

batman 1 N52 x 3

Hulk 1 cgc 5.5 SS

Funny pages 2/10

FPS 2,3,6

Arrow 1

ST 110 7.5 (second copy)

Hulk 181 8.0

Hulk 181 9.0

and the Gators beat Mizz Saturday night, so all in all, a great day

Final day of the show Sunday, started out fine

7 copies of SW 1

3 copies of SW 42

Iron Man 128

DD 7

Hulk 181 9.0

FF 45

FF 46

FF67

DCCP 47

Hulk 1 2.0

FF 5 7.5

Hulk 181 7.5

Action 252 4.5

Amazing Fantasy 15 3.5

sales were great, load out was pretty decent (did drop a cgc box down the escalator, resulting in 16 damaged slabs...good for cgc I guess lol )...

Watched premier of Walking dead sunday night, packed and 2 on time flights Monday had us back home!

I cannot wrap my head around shipping boxes to a show, especially the kind of books that set you up for a 6 digit thursday. How many boxes inventory was your set up? Sounds like the show was 12 kinds of awesome for you, despite some logistics bumps, and dribbling a box cgc down the escalator.

Final day of the show Sunday, started out fine

7 copies of SW 1

3 copies of SW 42

Iron Man 128

DD 7

Hulk 181 9.0

FF 45

FF 46

FF67

DCCP 47

Hulk 1 2.0

FF 5 7.5

Hulk 181 7.5

Action 252 4.5

Amazing Fantasy 15 3.5

sales were great, load out was pretty decent (did drop a cgc box down the escalator, resulting in 16 damaged slabs...good for cgc I guess lol )...

Watched premier of Walking dead sunday night, packed and 2 on time flights Monday had us back home!

Wow - 7 copies of Silver Surfer 1 in a single day. I know it's always a hot book but damn.