• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Convention Sketch or Commission

8 posts in this topic

So, when is a convention sketch really a commission. I've struggled with this a little.

I'll show you why:

Mike Grell did this for me at a signing at my LCS while I watched (I should have recorded it):

J6J7NdM0_1209152000211.jpg

and this through the mail:

Grell,%20Mike%20-%20Mordru%20vs.%20LSH%20(400dpi).jpg

Now, MIke only does headshots at signings (or so I was told) and I'm sure he has drawn the heads dozens if not hundreds of times since he left the book, but ...

How do I classify them? Are commissions always done remotely and sketches are always done locally?

What about this from Jeremy Bastian? He did it at Heroes Con and started it Friday AM and finished Sunday PM - working on it in the hotel room mostly. Is it a con sketch?

Mt06x2gP_2906141343021.jpg

How do you classify such work?

I think convention sketches are all commissions unless the artist just does a bunch of random ones and is selling them. If you ask them to create it, and they do, that's a commission regardless of simplicity or location I think.

it's a grey area. Some people see commission as an at home piece where the artist can work on it in peace without the distractions of being at a convention. In theory, if they spend the time the piece will be nicer.

Convention sketches can be quick pieces with less detail and time spent on them. However, we have seen artists turn up great pieces at conventions, especially if they dedicate time drawing and don't sign books during those times.

And of course at home pieces can be crappy too :)

Malvin

Commission and Sketch are general yet vague terms. It has nothing to do with "in-person" vs "via mail" in where it's done or how it's obtained.

Commission implies work for hire, and with that comes an expectation of a certain level of quality. Sketch implies something done quickly, and formerly used to be assumed for free, but in today's environment, could also be something charged for.

When an artist offers a sketch and a commission it's clear there's 2 levels of detailing. If an artist only offers sketches, I think they're tempering expectations and generally do "quickies" almost like prelim/layout quality but tighter.

There's also now "Sketch Covers" which are the blank comic covers used for sketching and elaborate commissions, but still termed as a "Sketch Cover"

At the end of the day it's an original drawing, not by any other name needed, be it sketch, commission, doodle, or what have you. At face value, people can appreciate what it is and if for sale, what it's worth.

What some artists call a sketch others may consider a commission at times, and then there's some artists who can draw the same character with basic quick lines (what Mike Mignola, Adam Hughes, Tim Sale, and a few others do for free or low cost at shows for fans) near blindfolded within less than a minute and that's called a sketch but looks more like a doodle with an autograph.