• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you do it?

64 posts in this topic

I only got back into the comic book world, after a 20 year absence, about six years ago… at the time, I bought my AS 8 6.0 for $10K (and traded in it for an Action 7 1.0)… decided not to buy the B&B 28 8.0 for $11K that was offered to me… was an underbidder on the AS 8 8.0 that sold for $45K… bought and sold some early Tecs for less than 1/2 of what they're selling today…. bla bla bla…

And now I'm looking at the prices of many GA books, and I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on anything with the high prices these days…

How do you do it? How to buy books today that you had 5 years ago for 20% of today's price?

I struggle with thinking it's all overpriced!

Dr. Carl....quality is gonna cost you, and the market as grown world wide...if you bid on ha. you could lose out to somebody in Hong Kong..times have changed..howevver there are still a number of key books which still have a lot of play left in them..so while the price is high..it is even gonna get higher.

The secret is out on all-star 8, action 7/10 etc but here are a few books you cannot go wrong with:

1- if you can afford it, any unrestored copy of Cap1---the new movie is gonna be super

2-I also like caps 2-10 high grade unrestored, especially 3.

3- low grade Action's 20 or under with any superman cover...unrestored, Tecs 38 and under also.

4- Sensation comics #1 especially low to mid grade

5-Amazing fantasy 15 mid grade, good page quality--spiderman is gonna make a comeback very soon in Cap movie.

Good luck

I only got back into the comic book world, after a 20 year absence, about six years ago… at the time, I bought my AS 8 6.0 for $10K (and traded in it for an Action 7 1.0)… decided not to buy the B&B 28 8.0 for $11K that was offered to me… was an underbidder on the AS 8 8.0 that sold for $45K… bought and sold some early Tecs for less than 1/2 of what they're selling today…. bla bla bla…

And now I'm looking at the prices of many GA books, and I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on anything with the high prices these days…

How do you do it? How to buy books today that you had 5 years ago for 20% of today's price?

+1

I only got back into the comic book world, after a 20 year absence, about six years ago at the time, I bought my AS 8 6.0 for $10K (and traded in it for an Action 7 1.0) decided not to buy the B&B 28 8.0 for $11K that was offered to me was an underbidder on the AS 8 8.0 that sold for $45K bought and sold some early Tecs for less than 1/2 of what they're selling today. bla bla bla

And now I'm looking at the prices of many GA books, and I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on anything with the high prices these days

How right you are. Buy to resell i can see but buy to keep :screwy:

The current state of the comic book market demonstrates the effect of globalization and money printing by the central banks. It is too early to say how this experiment turns out. Prices could go higher. Much higher. Or they could equally crash if deflation takes serious hold.

Carefully.

The market is what it is. I've bought and sold books for a profit and likewise taken losses on auction sales. If things appear overpriced, keep in mind that the marketplace is just a reflection of supply and demand. The reason I say approach the market carefully (I.e., strategically), is that there's a lot of risk inherent in bidding and selling (auctions) fueled by speculation.

Auctions boil down to two people vying for the same item. Think of it as a game of chicken where the participants are blindfolded and the competition is run by a broker who's guaranteed a share of the profits regardless of who comes out on top. In an auction you may think you're competing with dozens of folks, but in reality it's just between two determined bidders.

Prices for books are artificially inflated by final auction prices. Truth is, inflated final prices may become the new norm, ...or not. As with all things, the truth in respect to appreciated values probably resides somewhere in the middle, between the more conservative values established in the snail like growth estimates provided annually in the OPG and the more fluid seat-of-the-pants final hammer prices realized in auctions.

While the GPA isn't perfect (only a fraction of actual sales are reported), it provides a clearer snapshot of price evolution in real time (including outliers, for those comparing recent and past sales).

This probably doesn't answer your question, but I see it as more of a rhetorical query. In all candor there isn't a good respose for frustrated collectors who are compelled by their passion for the hobby to bid, buy or trade to acquire their favorite drug of choice. My 2c (no inflation adjustment required)

That was a good response Cat :). We always seem to be paying 2018 prices in 2015. Supply and demand cycles, etc. it's just that we are now seeing many books hit the 5,6,7 figure marks for the first time and are we are blown away when it first happens.

I only got back into the comic book world, after a 20 year absence, about six years ago at the time, I bought my AS 8 6.0 for $10K (and traded in it for an Action 7 1.0) decided not to buy the B&B 28 8.0 for $11K that was offered to me was an underbidder on the AS 8 8.0 that sold for $45K bought and sold some early Tecs for less than 1/2 of what they're selling today. bla bla bla

And now I'm looking at the prices of many GA books, and I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on anything with the high prices these days

How do you do it? How to buy books today that you had 5 years ago for 20% of today's price? :o

Carefully.

The market is what it is. I've bought and sold books for a profit and likewise taken losses on auction sales. If things appear overpriced, keep in mind that the marketplace is just a reflection of supply and demand. The reason I say approach the market carefully (I.e., strategically), is that there's a lot of risk inherent in bidding and selling (auctions) fueled by speculation.

Auctions boil down to two people vying for the same item. Think of it as a game of chicken where the participants are blindfolded and the competition is run by a broker who's guaranteed a share of the profits regardless of who comes out on top. In an auction you may think you're competing with dozens of folks, but in reality it's just between two determined bidders.

Prices for books are artificially inflated by final auction prices. Truth is, inflated final prices may become the new norm, ...or not. As with all things, the truth in respect to appreciated values probably resides somewhere in the middle, between the more conservative values established in the snail like growth estimates provided annually in the OPG and the more fluid seat-of-the-pants final hammer prices realized in auctions.

While the GPA isn't perfect (only a fraction of actual sales are reported), it provides a clearer snapshot of price evolution in real time (including outliers, for those comparing recent and past sales).

This probably doesn't answer your question, but I see it as more of a rhetorical query. In all candor there isn't a good respose for frustrated collectors who are compelled by their passion for the hobby to bid, buy or trade to acquire their favorite drug of choice. My 2c (no inflation adjustment required)

You answerd my question " You are the won that keeps bidding me up

How do you do it? How to buy books today that you had 5 years ago for 20% of today's price? :o

Carefully.

You answerd my question " You are the won that keeps bidding me up

lol

Comic book prices in the 80's and90's were not influenced by 150. Million dollar movie promos... Those movie create greater buyer interest, if bat vs super is a hit, I think it will be.., be prepared for a bump in prices... Much greater awareness all over the world.... But quality ga will hold its value... 80's variant for... get about it...

Buy safe and sane....

Dr. Carl....quality is gonna cost you, and the market as grown world wide...if you bid on ha. you could lose out to somebody in Hong Kong..times have changed..howevver there are still a number of key books which still have a lot of play left in them..so while the price is high..it is even gonna get higher.

The secret is out on all-star 8, action 7/10 etc but here are a few books you cannot go wrong with:

1- if you can afford it, any unrestored copy of Cap1---the new movie is gonna be super

3- low grade Action's 20 or under with any superman cover...unrestored, Tecs 38 and under also.

5-Amazing fantasy 15 mid grade, good page quality--spiderman is gonna make a comeback very soon in Cap movie.

Good luck

Mitch this is typical of the average "collector" these days. Fewer and fewer people buy what they like but instead focus on buying what is perceived to be hot or on the up swing. Hardly what I call collecting more like flippers, speculators, dealers, etc. Might as well buy up as many high grade NM#98's as you can and hope that they keep going up. :whatev:

Comic book prices in the 80's and90's were not influenced by 150. Million dollar movie promos... Those movie create greater buyer interest, if bat vs super is a hit, I think it will be.., be prepared for a bump in prices... Much greater awareness all over the world.... But quality ga will hold its value... 80's variant for... get about it...

Buy safe and sane....

I try! :insane:

There's no question that media interest influences the comic marketplace, thus the frequent discussions about bubbles (given the nature of a fickle public and antsy film industry). There's certainly increased risk tied to buying high dollar comics when when so many folks are speculating on a saturated, costumed hero heavy film schedule. I think the evidence is pretty clear on that. It behooves auction bidders to take note of these realities when riding those bid/cut buttons.

The volatility is more apparent in the SA/Modern market where every TV show with buzz and every green-lit movie deal garners interest. Overall, this doesn't tend to have a huge impact on the GA marketplace which is a good thing in my estimation. Long running, groundbreaking heroes like early Bat & Supe will continue to reap benefits, perhaps fueled by speculations about successful franchises, but given mixed results, the jury is out on other characters with origins that harken back to the GA.

As I see it, Timely characters may be reaping some benefits from media speculation due to so many successful Marvel/Disney SA/Modern franchises, but by and large the strongest GA interest seems to be fueled by the original comics and art.

Good luck

Mitch this is typical of the average "collector" these days. Fewer and fewer people buy what they like but instead focus on buying what is perceived to be hot or on the up swing. Hardly what I call collecting more like flippers, speculators, dealers, etc. Might as well buy up as many high grade NM#98's as you can and hope that they keep going up. :whatev:

I have to disagree with you, action 1, te 27, have always been the "wanted books" from the early days of fandom, Cap 1 also..in the early days it was close to action 1 price wise...AF 15 that is another story, but after it cracked 1 million...well.if a 9.9 copy exists I believe it would crack the action 1 record price. This is not typical, its the cream of the crop...

Sell a kidney...

All kidding aside. I think everybody is missing his point here. He is asking US how we do it. (Afford it).

I think you have to ask yourself why you are involved in the hobby. Investment?, Pride of Ownership?, Thrill of the Hunt?, Big ego? or combination of any of these?

There are a lot of board members and people out in the world with very good paying careers and a lot of extra scratch to burn (I mean invest...) They are a VERY finite group at Action #1 levels though. Most of us schmoos are at a far lower financial level. The advice given so far is more for the deep pocket crowd. The rest of us have to find a way to collect or "invest" more within our means.

I've been doing this for a LONG time. I have to say, I've seen comic books just continue to rise especially on the blue chip stuff. I have had to eat my words more than once..

That being said, any licensed and legimate investment advisor would say it is a VERY risky investment. I tend to agree that if you put your money into rental buildings or other real estate, blue chip stocks ect. it is far more prudent and safe.

I've had my collection a LONG time. I will make a stupid profit when I throw in the towel. That being said, I would advise collecting within your means. There are a lot of very cool books that won't cost you a kidney and you could make a fair profit on if you work hard at it.

I think you have to ask yourself why you are involved in the hobby. Investment?, Pride of Ownership?, Thrill of the Hunt?, Big ego? or combination of any of these?

The only reason I buy comics is so I can post the scans here and impress you bunch of losers.

Comic books are a healthy part of a diversified investment portfolio, especially when buying golden and silver age keys ... no ?

Yes. And as such they will help you meet girls.