• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you do it?

64 posts in this topic

Comic books are a healthy part of a diversified investment portfolio, especially when buying golden and silver age keys ... no ?

Yes. And as such they will help you meet girls.

lol

Don't listen to this bad man! (tsk)

I think you have to ask yourself why you are involved in the hobby. Investment?, Pride of Ownership?, Thrill of the Hunt?, Big ego? or combination of any of these?

The only reason I buy comics is so I can post the scans here and impress you bunch of losers.

I want a t-shirt that says that, brilliant! lol

I think you have to ask yourself why you are involved in the hobby. Investment?, Pride of Ownership?, Thrill of the Hunt?, Big ego? or combination of any of these?

The only reason I buy comics is so I can post the scans here and impress you bunch of losers.

:hi:

AF 15 that is another story, but after it cracked 1 million...well.if a 9.9 copy exists I believe it would crack the action 1 record price.

Mitch;

From previous comments from many long-time board members here, the opinion is that the AF 15 sale transaction for over a million dollars is probably an outlier, as that same copy would not come close to hitting a million dollars if placed back into the market today. hm

Also have my doubts that even a 9.9 copy of AF 15 would surpass the current $3.2 million dollars record price for a comic book.

Comic books are a healthy part of a diversified investment portfolio, especially when buying golden and silver age keys ... no ?

If "healthy" = large, then, no.

Of course not large.

I'm thinking 25%-35% of ones wealth :)

I only got back into the comic book world, after a 20 year absence, about six years ago… at the time, I bought my AS 8 6.0 for $10K (and traded in it for an Action 7 1.0)… decided not to buy the B&B 28 8.0 for $11K that was offered to me… was an underbidder on the AS 8 8.0 that sold for $45K… bought and sold some early Tecs for less than 1/2 of what they're selling today…. bla bla bla…

And now I'm looking at the prices of many GA books, and I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on anything with the high prices these days…

How do you do it? How to buy books today that you had 5 years ago for 20% of today's price?

I struggle with thinking it's all overpriced!

This is an ongoing battle I have with myself each and everyday.

I think given the current comic prices the key to building a decent collection is to focus your collecting. The focus needs to be tied to your realistic financial capabilities. You have to ask yourself some key questions like:

1. What do I like

2. How many books do I want to add to my collection per year

3. What sort of grade do you want and are you going to be happy with

4. Am I comfortable in going into debt to buy stuff

5. A lot more but you get the gist.

For myself, I have settled on buying upgrades to my Batman run and tracking down a small set of books with covers I like. I am content only adding 0 to 10 books to my collection per year. I love uber high grade but to stretch my dollar I go for 6.0 to 8.0. I am also okay to go into debt for the right item but would stop buying anything else until it was paid off.

If I were okay to add one book per year, I would find a dealer willing to do payments for 6 months and buy a key book from them every six months.

Of course not large.

Way too much strictly from an investment point of view. 5%-10% tops, in my view.

Of course not large.

Way too much strictly from an investment point of view. 5%-10% tops, in my view.

5-10% aint gonna scratch my itch

AF 15 that is another story, but after it cracked 1 million...well.if a 9.9 copy exists I believe it would crack the action 1 record price.

Mitch;

From previous comments from many long-time board members here, the opinion is that the AF 15 sale transaction for over a million dollars is probably an outlier, as that same copy would not come close to hitting a million dollars if placed back into the market today. hm

Also have my doubts that even a 9.9 copy of AF 15 would surpass the current $3.2 million dollars record price for a comic book.

given there have been 2 other 9.6 sales of af15 after the 1mil sale at WAY less, I agree...

Mitch;

given there have been 2 other 9.6 sales of af15 after the 1mil sale at WAY less, I agree...

9.9....is a whole other ball game folks....white pages...i heard a rumor its out there....

Mitch;

9.9....is a whole other ball game folks....white pages...i heard a rumor its out there....

And it's coming for us! :o

Mitch;

Is it really possible to accurate predict what book will come back 9.9 (shrug)

Mitch;

Based upon what I saw...it about as good a 9.9 that is out there...I cannot call it 10...its close..when will come on the market? I just dont know..last time I saw it was around 2001..its in California and it was flawless....amazing

Mitch;

Based upon what I saw...it about as good a 9.9 that is out there...I cannot call it 10...its close..when will come on the market? I just dont know..last time I saw it was around 2001..its in California and it was flawless....amazing

Sounds more like an amazing… fantasy [see what I did there]