• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 361 Print Run

329 posts in this topic

Yeah, lol even Marvel was speculating on this book.

Totally.

That's why they paid for the full page ad in Prev...oh, wait.

Nevermind.

:sorry:

Or maybe it didn't make sense to take out a full page ad in Previews when they knew ASM was already one of their top dogs in monthly sales. hm

I think that feeds RMA's point that no evidence has been shown that there was a larger print run for 361 than surrounding ASM issues.

looks like there were maybe an extra 50,000 copies ordered vs. the prior issues. huge today, not a big blip then.

Where do you arrive at that number?

------------

from your estimated print-runs of 359, 360, 361, etc. earlier in this thread. just an estimate. maybe 60K. i'm assuming the extra books were not on the newsstand end. actually, 361 was ordered almost 20% more than 360 by cap city, so if 300,000 direct edition copies of 360 were ordered (which might be low), for example, it seems like maybe 360K or so were ordered of 361, with the remaining 100-150,000 copies in the print-run being newstand? maybe it was 60,000 extra copies assuming other distributors had a similar bump? somewhere around there. maybe 80K?

I think that feeds RMA's point that no evidence has been shown that there was a larger print run for 361 than surrounding ASM issues.

---------

his cap city numbers (assuming they can be extrapolated to other distributors on the direct market end) show a nice bump from 359 and 360, but not from the punisher appearances prior to then, or the massive bumps from 362 onward. i guess unless you thought cardiac was going to be a huge villian in spideydom, 359 and 360 were not such hot properties.

looks like there were maybe an extra 50,000 copies ordered vs. the prior issues. huge today, not a big blip then.

Where do you arrive at that number?

------------

from your estimated print-runs of 359, 360, 361, etc. earlier in this thread. just an estimate. maybe 60K. i'm assuming the extra books were not on the newsstand end. actually, 361 was ordered almost 20% more than 360 by cap city, so if 300,000 direct edition copies of 360 were ordered (which might be low), for example, it seems like maybe 360K or so were ordered of 361, with the remaining 100-150,000 copies in the print-run being newstand? maybe it was 60,000 extra copies assuming other distributors had a similar bump? somewhere around there. maybe 80K?

Oh, do you mean 50,000 for Cap City? Or 50,000 for the entire market?

Only the Direct market got second printings.

Your number could be for the entire market, I was just wondering where it came from. Later printing numbers from the early 90's are notoriously difficult to figure out.

I was told....(warning: anecdote coming ahead) that the print run for Supergirl #1 (1996) third printing was very low...like, in the neighborhood of 1,000 copies or so...because they weren't interested in doing it, and basically had to be begged by a retailer to do it.

It used to be a very tough book to find, but in the last couple of years, the market ended up flushing a few out. Lonestar has the bulk of them for sale at the moment.

Yeah, lol even Marvel was speculating on this book.

Totally.

That's why they paid for the full page ad in Prev...oh, wait.

Nevermind.

:sorry:

Or maybe it didn't make sense to take out a full page ad in Previews when they knew ASM was already one of their top dogs in monthly sales. hm

And, that Marvel didn't think it worth promoting in any particular special way.

Except by, you know, publishing the cover in ASM a full _two_ months' early...

Granted. The editorial staff of ASM thought it was worth printing on the letters page. There's no doubt about that.

However....that wasn't the first time Marvel had done that sort of thing, and wouldn't be the last.

So, I don't know if the whole "_two_ months" thing is as dramatic as you're making it seem.

Granted. The editorial staff of ASM thought it was worth printing on the letters page. There's no doubt about that.

However....that wasn't the first time Marvel had done that sort of thing, and wouldn't be the last.

So, I don't know if the whole "_two_ months" thing is as dramatic as you're making it seem.

Please tell where Marvel published a cover in the letters page 2 months early. It's not that I doubt it I just can't think of another time.

Please tell where Marvel published a cover in the letters page 2 months early. It's not that I doubt it I just can't think of another time.

Two months early? I'll have to research. Published covers ahead of time? All the time, since at least the early 60's, and company-wide in many cases.

Helluva' lot more than Cable got.

True...but no one thought Cable was anything special except Rob Liefeld.

Is this your opinion or is this a fact? :baiting:

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

It was a joke.

In that case :roflmao:

Venom was very popular before 361 came out. He was already the villain everyone wanted to see, even with such few appearances. He was so popular that they would even tease his small cameo appearance in the book with a header on the top of the cover.

In fact Wizard Magazine would feature Venom by himself on the cover of issue #9 which is one month after the release of 361. And in that very same issue 361 placed 9th on the infamous Wizard Top Ten Hottest Comics. Again all this less than one full month after release of 361.

From Wizard #7:

Wizard7ASM361_zpsxqcff6s3.jpg

Darkhawk #14 received a Venom-centric half-page spotlight on page 71 too.

So Venom appeared in two books that month, and Wizard gave him three write-ups. Whoops!

Venom was very popular before 361 came out. He was already the villain everyone wanted to see, even with such few appearances. He was so popular that they would even tease his small cameo appearance in the book with a header on the top of the cover.

In fact Wizard Magazine would feature Venom by himself on the cover of issue #9 which is one month after the release of 361. And in that very same issue 361 placed 9th on the infamous Wizard Top Ten Hottest Comics. Again all this less than one full month after release of 361.

From Wizard #7:

Wizard7ASM361_zpsxqcff6s3.jpg

Darkhawk #14 received a Venom-centric half-page spotlight on page 71 too.

So Venom appeared in two books that month, and Wizard gave him three write-ups. Whoops!

(edited to remove unnecessary snark. :D )

Thank you for posting that. I have these Wizards, somewhere, but they're buried. As was requested earlier, any and all promotional information is more than welcome, and we all should be open to altering our views in light of new information.

...right?

PS. How many times, and in what ways, did the Punisher appear in Wizard #7?

The "Whoops!" was directed at Wizard for incompetently printing two write-ups on ASM #361.

They also had SEVEN write-ups on Valiant books in their "Picks From The Hat" section, RMA. (For those that were not big Valiant fans, Valiant published six books that month.)