• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ebay switch

38 posts in this topic

So, I won a mid-grade Subby 1 last week on an Ebay auction for $43. I was looking forward to getting it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Prince-Namor-The-Sub-Mariner-1-1st-Issue-1968-Fantastic-Four-/141797995585?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D141797995585%26_rdc%3D1&nma=true&si=jXqphvyLKroT2pFEFw4mwcyaw0I%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Yesterday, I received the package from the Ebay. Was I surprised to get this:

th_Sub-Mariner%20switch_zpsvankchgk.jpg

I have requested a return and the seller already has accepted. He/she gave no explanation. I shipped the book back today. I am confident of getting my money back but I cannot believe that someone would try this and expect to get away with it. (shrug)

The auction photo shows the book as being encapsulated in a slab.

subby_zpsouuwnzcl.jpg

first thing I noticed too ---

why did you do return - why not item not as described and out him to ebay? - at a minimum I would want a response as to why he shipped the book -

beware the double scam - where he "claims" you shipped him back a bogus book.......

why is he making you spend $4 to ship back a dollar box book? did he front you the shipping $?

sellers: if you send the wrong book and it is a piece of or you didn't notice it was missing 4 pages or whatever just frigging let people keep the darn book, refund the money, don't put them through this b.s.

last F-up on my part the buyer got a nice GA book for free...well, nice other than the pages with cut-outs I managed to miss. was i going to spend $4 for him to return a book that was worth about $4 in that condition? no, that's absurd.

The listing says "I will accept any legitimate offers to buy it now!"

After reading that, I wouldnt be at all surprised if someone made him a greater offer than the closing bid and he decided to accept it and ship the book to him while taking a chance and sending you the reprint, worse comes to worse you would return it (which is what you did) and he doesnt get in trouble with eBay for canceling the auction. I would call eBay and ask them to check and see if he had any dialog with any other buyers about that, they could probably check and tell you. And if that's the case, the seller could lose his account. Which btw he should.

I replied to this thread earlier, and made comments about checking the feedback of the seller and noting that in the feedback are feedback posts about poor shipping, also that the seller typically doesn't sell comics.

Apparently my earlier reply got removed :(

ebay is a garbage can

Indeed. I'm thinking about discontinuing both selling and buying there completely.

Have a good alternative?

The boards are a great alternative.

I also buy and sell music gear, and Reverb.com has been my goto site for that.

I replied to this thread earlier, and made comments about checking the feedback of the seller and noting that in the feedback are feedback posts about poor shipping, also that the seller typically doesn't sell comics.

Apparently my earlier reply got removed :(

Got removed? Why would it get removed?

Y'know, I think I remember seeing that comment. hm