• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why the '90s rocked...

94 posts in this topic

I loved and still read Peter David's run on Incredible Hulk, esp. when Keown was the artist. Near the end of the run his art started getting spotty but that might have been because he had different inkers. When Bob McLeod was inking, the art was exceptional.

I also got hooked on Next Men, which I always thought was a more cynical R rated version of X-Men.

Anyone got any other unheralded runs?

Keown draws scary looking big guys as well if not better than most artist. Thinking about the Hulk run and seeing Pitt ( Hulk with claws in appearance lol ) also brings back good memories.

I was 9 years old in 1992 when Image began. Marvel ceased to exist in my world as I was focused on the independent creations of McFarlane, Silvestri, Kieth, Liefeld, Lee, Portacio, Larsen, Valentino, Keown, etc.

Over the last 2 years or so I decided to recollect my childhood favorites, and here they are!

Early%20Image_zpskdfqi3d5.jpg

Youngblood_zps1tcnhp2b.jpg

Spawn_zpsa8vxigqv.jpg

The%20Maxx%20V2_zpsmczlq2f7.jpg

WildCATS_zpstaqstcsr.jpg

Shadowhawk_zps8185n1gc.jpg

Cyber%20Force_zpsiat0kstk.jpg

Savage%20Dragon%20Limited%20Series_zpskovgh8hz.jpg

Pitt_zpsdr1cz3fz.jpg

scan0001_zps0742dcb1.jpg

Nice! :headbang:

Thanks Tom :foryou:

I no longer use the term drek....... from this point on I will use " it's not the Walking Dead"

I think this will be more politically correct and cover everything I don't like.

:shy:

This thread rocks

Lots of Image/Marvel Crossovers! Ah, the crossover.

1997 WILDCATS X-MEN : Again with the Jim Lee (Silver Age)and introducing Travest Charest(Golden Age)

1997 Devils Reign Marvel/ Top Cow bad guys vs Marvel/Top Cow good guys drawn by Silvestri, Turner, Fich, Benitez, Tan and more.. A nice set!

1995 after the Age Of Apocalypse event, one Nate Grey stayed in the Marvel Universe as his own title X-MAN was kind of a big mutant deal. No surprise Roger Cruz drawing was my favorite chunk of this series. Steve Skroce art may be noteworthy to others

19205_20150117052757_large.jpg

Thanks definitely great to be back.

I have to agree with loving 90's books, some of the reads are still favorites of mine years later. Ghost Rider "Dan Ketch" with Texeira Art was amazing and really hooked me into the first 25 issues. After that it lost my interest.

I can come n here and admit I was an image fan boy, I loved all that *&^%!

I still have a huge box of early image books, and a lot of signed stuff from the 90's!

I also was an Ultraverse reader, and BWS's Rune was one of my favorites! I had so many BWS signatures from so many cons!

Man, I will have to get some pictures together of some of the stuff I have left.

Sandman, Preacher, and Bone are three of the greatest comic series over 50 issues ever written. Good times.

Cry for Dawn (and Dawn) are the early part of the 90s. Most would put them in the 80s from a feel perspective, but the vast majority are 90s. Love the artwork but personally think the story sucks.

Shame on me for not thinking of Transmet. WAYYYYY ahead of it's time.

Patrick

Poison Elves/ I Lusipher was in there too. I never missed that book. Linsner made awesome covers on those Dawn books too. (thumbs u

Poison Elves, that's something you don't hear often. Love the art that book. It's a shame that Drew Hayes passed away at the young age of 37. RIP

Sandman, Preacher, and Bone are three of the greatest comic series over 50 issues ever written. Good times.

Cry for Dawn (and Dawn) are the early part of the 90s. Most would put them in the 80s from a feel perspective, but the vast majority are 90s. Love the artwork but personally think the story sucks.

Shame on me for not thinking of Transmet. WAYYYYY ahead of it's time.

Patrick

Poison Elves/ I Lusipher was in there too. I never missed that book. Linsner made awesome covers on those Dawn books too. (thumbs u

Poison Elves, that's something you don't hear often. Love the art that book. It's a shame that Drew Hayes passed away at the young age of 37. RIP

I so agree. He is missed. :sorry:

I can come n here and admit I was an image fan boy, I loved all that *&^%!

I still have a huge box of early image books, and a lot of signed stuff from the 90's!

I also was an Ultraverse reader, and BWS's Rune was one of my favorites! I had so many BWS signatures from so many cons!

Man, I will have to get some pictures together of some of the stuff I have left.

lol

This is like comicholic anonymous. We are all guilty, well, most of us. James only reads The Walking Dead. Thanks for sharing. Haha !

This thread rocks

Lots of Image/Marvel Crossovers! Ah, the crossover.

1997 WILDCATS X-MEN : Again with the Jim Lee (Silver Age)and introducing Travest Charest(Golden Age)

1997 Devils Reign Marvel/ Top Cow bad guys vs Marvel/Top Cow good guys drawn by Silvestri, Turner, Fich, Benitez, Tan and more.. A nice set!

1995 after the Age Of Apocalypse event, one Nate Grey stayed in the Marvel Universe as his own title X-MAN was kind of a big mutant deal. No surprise Roger Cruz drawing was my favorite chunk of this series. Steve Skroce art may be noteworthy to others

19205_20150117052757_large.jpg

I love those comics where they used cityscapes. Its also cool to see all of the names of artists and writers of days gone by...who are still around kicking tail. lol

There's just something about the Wildstorm Universe that I loved. I have literally the entire thing. From start to finish (except for whatever Flashpoint/new-52/whatever nonsense it finished with. The final issues of all of the post-Armageddon series was the end of the WSU to me & that's when I stopped)

It's a surprisingly creative & innovative line, considering that it started with a X-Men knockoff book & an Avengers knock-off book. It also gave a start/big break to almost as many mind-blowingly-popular artists as Top Cow/Aspen did. So many amazing creators worked on those WSU titles.

Best description of Planetery I have is "Warren Ellis writes a love-letter to 20th century fiction in the form of a kinda superhero tangent comic"

I had quit collecting new books when Planetary was published. I had read a few issues that i picked up in different lots over the year & enjoyed them all... just not enough to go out & buy the full series. After reading your comments I went to ebay & paid the outrageous sum of $15.50 shipped for the full 27 issue run.

I couldn't stop reading, you described it perfectly. Just an amazing series to read from start to finish. It went from totally off my radar to one of my favorite series ever.

Appreciate you guys pimping it from time to time.

Really, a must read series that far too few people have read.

- Acme Novelty Library

- Eightball

- Grendel / Batman

- The Flash by Mark Waid

- Leave It to Chance

- The Golden Age

- Solar Alpha / Omega

- Black Hole

- Strangers in Paradise