• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction November 2015....Some truly nice SA comics up for sale!!

278 posts in this topic

Seems like CBCS is bringing a much lower price than CGC in almost every case!!

That's 1/2 FMV for one of the biggest Silver Age keys.That's a rough result.

How do you define "FMV"? If the books was a CGC 9.6?

Yes, that's the actual point I was making.

I wouldn't call it a rough result then, because you can't assume that a CBCS 9.6 would necessarily have been a CGC 9.6.

Perhaps it might. This would've been an interesting book to examine in person to see if it might merit a 9.6 from CGC, in which case--ka-ching!

I believe the book was a CGC 9.4 - I can't say for sure because I can't find a record of it. I'm just going from memory.

The problem with X-men 1 is the white cover and more copies just get upgraded. I think lots of copies in the census has been maximized...perhaps prices in HG should begin to rise and play catch-up.

The problem with X-Men 1... Is that there is way too many copies in most grades... There's like 3-4 copies being sold on eBay weekly (raw and graded). Everyone I know has multiple copies. It's a very common key but very popular as well.

Seems like CBCS is bringing a much lower price than CGC in almost every case!!

That's 1/2 FMV for one of the biggest Silver Age keys.That's a rough result.

How do you define "FMV"? If the books was a CGC 9.6?

Yes, that's the actual point I was making.

I wouldn't call it a rough result then, because you can't assume that a CBCS 9.6 would necessarily have been a CGC 9.6.

Perhaps it might. This would've been an interesting book to examine in person to see if it might merit a 9.6 from CGC, in which case--ka-ching!

I think what's happening here, and why this is a bad result for CBCS, is that people are wary of CBCS books and are "buying the book" to a factor unseen with CGC graded books. With CGC the label is taken to be "real" even if the book is overgraded. You occasionally see a discount on an ugly book, but no CGC book sells for a 40-50% discount just because it was given a .2 gift. In this case, the label grade was completely ignored. Rightly so, in my opinion, but that's not the point as people don't do that with CGC books. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

I think they shot themselves in the foot by gift grading too many high profile, big dollar books. People are probably scared to death to have them cracked and resubbed via CGC so the prices are taking a beating.

So do you see X-Men in CGC 9.2 (and higher) staying the same value wise or will it continue to rise over time?

Well if you check GPA data it's hard to say. My personal opinion is this- There are already tons of X-men movies and merchandise.... The book doesn't move as quick or far as the others. So I ask why? Then I notice how the supply is pretty heavy on this book. The 9.2s and higher have dropped in recent years... Even with movie and merchandise support. I personally believe there might be many hidden 9.2 & up of this book that people won't sell because of fear it won't do as well.

I personally own 2 copies of X-men, one being a 7.5 and I don't see myself selling it for profit as it really doesn't go up much... It's more of a personal item for me. It's like the book goes UP then DOWN... In the last 2 years my copy maybe increased like 1 grand if a little more? meh just my opinion.

So do you see X-Men in CGC 9.2 (and higher) staying the same value wise or will it continue to rise over time?

Well if you check GPA data it's hard to say. My personal opinion is this- There are already tons of X-men movies and merchandise.... The book doesn't move as quick or far as the others. So I ask why? Then I notice how the supply is pretty heavy on this book. The 9.2s and higher have dropped in recent years... Even with movie and merchandise support. I personally believe there might be many hidden 9.2 & up of this book that people won't sell because of fear it won't do as well.

I personally own 2 copies of X-men, one being a 7.5 and I don't see myself selling it for profit as it really doesn't go up much... It's more of a personal item for me. It's like the book goes UP then DOWN... In the last 2 years my copy maybe increased like 1 grand if a little more? meh just my opinion.

Dont forget that there are a lot of Xmen fans that like the Wolverine/new Xmen and much rather spend on GSX1, IH181, and XM94

Dont forget that there are a lot of Xmen fans that like the Wolverine/new Xmen and much rather spend on GSX1, IH181, and XM94

This.

And... Xm1 is absolutely a classic issue, but magneto is only going to push it so far IMO 2c

Yes that's true. It's a little sad to see other comics slowly or quickly catching up to X-men 1 and pushing it down the top 10. I don't think it will hold a top 10 spot in term of price forever. As the DC keys are starting to catch up.

$26,290 for FF #45 CGC 9.6. Wow.

When I wrote up my preview I thought it could do 20k and I felt like I was pushing it. WOW.

I can't find it now but I think ComicLink sold a 9.8 for $28,000 in the last year or so. Whoever stepped up for that book probably feels a little better now.

That book was purchased only a few months ago and the buyer was extremely happy to grab it. (thumbs u

Strange Tales #110 CGC 9.4 just sold for 34 655$

down, down, down

It wasn't a particularly sharp copy though. The Ink was missing under the "E". Date stamp on the front cover as well. Some people don't care for date stamps and others don't mind it. I think that was a driving factor as well.

I was very surprised on the 9.0 copy though. Tons of books in this auction were uncharacteristically low. No doubt, many people picked up some great deals. (thumbs u

The problem with X-men 1 is the white cover and more copies just get upgraded. I think lots of copies in the census has been maximized...perhaps prices in HG should begin to rise and play catch-up.

The problem with X-Men 1... Is that there is way too many copies in most grades... There's like 3-4 copies being sold on eBay weekly (raw and graded). Everyone I know has multiple copies. It's a very common key but very popular as well.

I wouldn't call it common in 8.0+, but yes, more common than most earlier Marvel Keys. Hulk1962 X-men 1 in 9.2 is darn nice and should command a premium.

Just curious if it is a good move to keep it or not. Hence all my questions. Mine is a CGC 9.2 with white pages. Just wondering if I should sell it and move the money in a high grade Hulk 1 or a high grade AF15. But I truly love the X-Men they are by far my favorite team. The reason I do not add it to my signature line (took it off a while back) is it is out of place with my mid grades witch compromise 99% of my set (the only key book I own in high grade is the X-Men #1).

Just curious if it is a good move to keep it or not. Hence all my questions. Mine is a CGC 9.2 with white pages. Just wondering if I should sell it and move the money in a high grade Hulk 1

Yes, it`s always good to chase the hot trend.

Just curious if it is a good move to keep it or not. Hence all my questions. Mine is a CGC 9.2 with white pages. Just wondering if I should sell it and move the money in a high grade Hulk 1 or a high grade AF15. But I truly love the X-Men they are by far my favorite team. The reason I do not add it to my signature line (took it off a while back) is it is out of place with my mid grades witch compromise 99% of my set (the only key book I own in high grade is the X-Men #1).

Yea, sell it to me :)

Are you serious?

X-men is going to bounce around a little, but I think a 9.2 will remain stable give or take 10%. The Hulk and AF15 are bigger keys, but they also carry the price tag. I would keep the 9.2. I don't see the Hulk or AF15 doing any major break outs from their current prices so why toss a high grade book?

This would be a move you should not make unless you can answer that question for yourself. I don't know your financial situation, but personally, I could be VERY happy with the 6.0 copy that Storms had for sale a while back.... with the Kirby autograph on the splash page..... freeing up quite a bit of cash for other things. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Just keep it. Same reason I keep my CGC 7.5. Selling it will

Make you a little cash but I don't think it's worth it. I don't see the book jumping price anytime soon.

Strange Tales #110 CGC 9.4 just sold for 34 655$

down, down, down

It wasn't a particularly sharp copy though. The Ink was missing under the "E". Date stamp on the front cover as well. Some people don't care for date stamps and others don't mind it. I think that was a driving factor as well.

I was very surprised on the 9.0 copy though. Tons of books in this auction were uncharacteristically low. No doubt, many people picked up some great deals. (thumbs u

A few days before black Friday is not the best time for an auction. I missed the Pedigree one AND this one. I simply forgot! It wasn't until later that night I realized the auctions were over. I'm sure other people have too much going on this time of year which is something for me to remember next year.

An X-Men #1 CGC 9.2 would never look out of place in your signature line. That's crazy talk. Display it proudly!