• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Duck Story ID Needed

28 posts in this topic

Hopefully, there's a Donald Duck expert here who can help me.

As a child, I read a Donald Duck comic book story in which he (and his nephews, I think) go on an adventure to find treasure, following an old map with an X on it. In the end, they give up, when they get to where the X is supposed to be, and they are standing on the edge of a cliff overlooking the ocean.

As I recall, the last panel shows the dejected treasure hunters from the perspective of the ocean. As they walk away, unbeknownst to them, a huge pile of treasure is in a cave right under the cliff.

Can anyone identify this story and what issue(s) it's in?

As a child, I read a Donald Duck comic book story in which he (and his nephews, I think) go on an adventure to find treasure, following an old map with an X on it. In the end, they give up, when they get to where the X is supposed to be, and they are standing on the edge of a cliff overlooking the ocean.

As I recall, the last panel shows the dejected treasure hunters from the perspective of the ocean. As they walk away, unbeknownst to them, a huge pile of treasure is in a cave right under the cliff.

Doesn't ring a bell, but it's the kind of ironic ending that Barks liked. If all else fails, maybe you can ID it by skimming the plots of the WDC&S 10-pagers on GCD.

Do you remember in which year you have read it (more or less)? hm

I read it in the late 1950's, but the book was in a stack of old comics that belonged to my aunt and uncle who were a little over 10 years older than me, so the book may have been published some years before.

Now, here's something weird. During the past few minutes, I've been going through my email received today. There's one from early this morning from BB-Gun, who apparently posted a scan of a similar treasure hunt story. But when I click the link, all I get is a "UBB Error" page.

Here's a copy of the text of the email I received.

BB-Gun replied to a Watched Topic at the site:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8959023#Post8959023

22050632054_d4ffd786c2_b.jpg

Here is a closer look of the map and the ocean. This is one of my favs. Heck, all of the duck stories are favorites. :banana:

22684569051_39b4e06ecd_b.jpg

Sorry, I don't recall that story at all. But I did a search on the inducks site, using donald duck as the character and 'treasure map' as the keywords. Here's the search:

http://coa.inducks.org/simp.php?d1=donald&d2=treasure+map&d4=&creat=&exactpg=&kind=0

There are no 1950s stories that look likely. But this 1947 story might:

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=W+CGW+W+1-01

:wishluck:

22050632054_d4ffd786c2_b.jpg

I was thinking it was closer to Four Color 408. At least there is an X on the map.

Other treasures would be Inca Gold and Seven Cities of Cibola. Both of these were Uncle Scrooge stories but Donald was always a featured character.

Which decade and country are we talking about, MBFan? There's something about the plot that suggests Don Rosa to me, but I have only read a small fraction of his stories. If you grew up in Europe, there are a lot more possibilities.

Do you remember in which year you have read it (more or less)? hm

I read it in the late 1950's, but the book was in a stack of old comics that belonged to my aunt and uncle who were a little over 10 years older than me, so the book may have been published some years before.

This one does not ring a bell with me either. I assume you have already checked, but any input from your aunt or uncle? Maybe they can recall where the comics came from.

Which decade and country are we talking about, MBFan? There's something about the plot that suggests Don Rosa to me, but I have only read a small fraction of his stories. If you grew up in Europe, there are a lot more possibilities.

I grew up in the US, and if my memory is correct, I read the comic in 1958, 1959 or 1960. They had bought comics since the early 50's and the newest one that I know they had was Superman #129 from May 1959. My aunt and uncle have no recollection about any of the stories in their comics.

The significant thing that sticks in my head is the fact that the story ended with Donald and Huey, Dewey and Louie (and possibly Uncle Scrooge) leaving in disappointment, while the treasure was right under their feet in a cave under the cliff.

Sorry, I don't recall that story at all. But I did a search on the inducks site, using donald duck as the character and 'treasure map' as the keywords. Here's the search:

http://coa.inducks.org/simp.php?d1=donald&d2=treasure+map&d4=&creat=&exactpg=&kind=0

There are no 1950s stories that look likely. But this 1947 story might:

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=W+CGW+W+1-01

:wishluck:

Thanks for the links. It's incredible how many "treasure" adventures Donald and his crew participated in! I don't see a listing that rings a bell, but I'll keep studying, because I have only faint memories of the story and might run onto something that fills in the blanks for me.

While we're on the subject of partially remembered duck stories, does anyone recall a story where Donald buys an expensive bottle of perfume, and then loses the cap down the sink in his bathroom... before proceeding to dig it all up to try to recover the cap?

I ask because it was reprinted in an Australian comic in the 60s/early 70s and I had a copy that had the last page missing - so I don't know how it ends. (Not well, I suspect...)

If I recall accurately, it might have been Italian in origin based on my visual memory. (This could be quite unreliable!)

Inducks with the key word 'perfume' doesn't help.

We couldn't even ID the US story! IDing an European story ...

I looked through quite a bit of the 10-pagers in WDCS to try and find the US story we were trying to ID and turned up nothing! The setting of a treasure search is not common in the 10-pagers anyway but it was worth a shot. Saw a metric ton of stories I had forgotten about while doing that.

I thought that BB had it with his guess. If that's not it, then beats me. My first guess was the Mermaid story with the cover / treasure in the underwater cave but no luck there.