• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hardest to find classic pre-code crime or horror cover?

202 posts in this topic

comrolypoly_zps43113ce7.jpg

I want a decent raw (non resto) copy of this book so bad.

Ditch the slab,... I'll keep it in a Mylites2/Fullback and cherish it. :cloud9:

Yeah, it's a tough one for sure. I have only seen it for sale a couple of times. It has some old tape reside on the spine but I was stoked just to get a copy. I learned long ago not to worry as much about condition as getting a copy at all some times. (And mine is in a Mylite2 and Fullback!)

Yeah, I shouldn't have been so quick with my words (non-resto copy) and also no so picky with my wants. Hard to find classics like these that may have tape, glue, etc,... shouldn't even be a factor. One should be totally stoked out just to have them in hand. (worship)

All of these books are awesome and the colors are magnificent.

This has quickly become my favorite GA thread.

More great books! As fifties said, some post code mixed in but does not make them any less desirable. The Journey into Unknown Worlds 27, Dark Mysteries and Strange Tales 15 are some standouts. A spread of titles any PCH collector would find desirable! (thumbs u

Definitely. I see a few I'd be interested in, and I limit myself to crime and Atlas.

I'd love to know the story of the collection, it seems to be from about a 4 year period, but other than the horror/mystery/crime angle, it appears the books were somewhat randomly selected, with a lean towards Atlas titles, or do some of the gaps fill in? How big was the collection?

The collection was small, in all, about 300-to-350 books (I'm not done bagging/boarding so I do not have an exact count)... There are a few more early JIM's; StrangeTales & Atlas books that I didn't post yet. There were about 75-ish Armed Forces books, another stack of DC books from the 50's and the rest what I've posted. As for some background, they are from the OO as he recently decided to sell. He mentioned that he, his brother and his friends would trade the books back and forth way back when and they have sat in a cedar chest in an attic since 1985 until just recently...

Other than that, I really do not have much more information.

More great books! As fifties said, some post code mixed in but does not make them any less desirable. The Journey into Unknown Worlds 27, Dark Mysteries and Strange Tales 15 are some standouts. A spread of titles any PCH collector would find desirable! (thumbs u

Definitely. I see a few I'd be interested in, and I limit myself to crime and Atlas.

I'd love to know the story of the collection, it seems to be from about a 4 year period, but other than the horror/mystery/crime angle, it appears the books were somewhat randomly selected, with a lean towards Atlas titles, or do some of the gaps fill in? How big was the collection?

The collection was small, in all, about 300-to-350 books (I'm not done bagging/boarding so I do not have an exact count)... There are a few more early JIM's; StrangeTales & Atlas books that I didn't post yet. There were about 75-ish Armed Forces books, another stack of DC books from the 50's and the rest what I've posted. As for some background, they are from the OO as he recently decided to sell. He mentioned that he, his brother and his friends would trade the books back and forth way back when and they have sat in a cedar chest in an attic since 1985 until just recently...

Good backstory. Sounds like he and his brother each got to pick up about a book a week then. Were the DCs all sci-fi/mystery or war, or were there some superhero books in there? For those of us who bought comics as kids later, it's hard to imagine amassing a collection of that size with no superhero books, but obviously during the mid fifties it was just a small share of what was available.

Good backstory. Sounds like he and his brother each got to pick up about a book a week then. Were the DCs all sci-fi/mystery or war, or were there some superhero books in there? For those of us who bought comics as kids later, it's hard to imagine amassing a collection of that size with no superhero books, but obviously during the mid fifties it was just a small share of what was available.

Morning... The DC books were HOM (26,46,49,59-60,68,71,75,78-80,84); HOS 6&12; My Greatest Adventure 8,16,20-21; Tales of the Unexpected 2,12,21-22; Adventure Comics 254; Strange Adventure 89; Mr. District Attorney 60,67 and another small stack of CRIME books:

20160110_112624_zps2veojmap.jpg

A pretty spaced out mix of books on the DC side... There must have been some heavy trading amongst friends. (shrug)

Reminds me of a collection I bought in an antique store about 20 years ago. The lady had about 200 nothing but pre code horror books. Just piled in cardboard boxes on the floor. They had just come in. She wanted $3.00 each for them. I got the whole load for $500. Just like your find. She called me a week later and had about 150 more which I got too. Really filled out my horror collection. Still have most of them. They averaged out in vg for the most part. Lots of keys too. The kid only bought horror books. Hard to find collections like that. In all the years I've been collecting, I have bought many collections but this was one of my favorites.