• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
17 17

8,506 posts in this topic

Check out the line up of early WDCS on the Heritage Sunday auction. A pretty impressive and deep run of the pre-Barks issues and then some from the Barks era. I assume that is one collector's run; what a great run for the week. There is also a run of the early Looney Tunes books which is not often seen; maybe from the same collection.

Edited by 50YrsCollctngCmcs

On 9/6/2024 at 9:43 PM, mlansdown said:

Here's a recent upgrade to one of my all-time favorite comic books.  If I was forced to sell my comic collection, this book would be one of the last to go. I do plan to offer my VF under-copy on the CGC Comics Market thread soon. Thanks!

Four Color 386 CGC 9.2 OW.jpg

Four Color 386 CGC 9.2 OW (Back).jpg

That's a beautiful copy! I agree with you that my Uncle Scrooge 386 would be the last to go from my collection too!! 

One of the most memorable panels in Four Color 386 is the money dam breaking (internet cribbed photo of Barks painting below.) As a kid I picked up a copy of the Gold Key giant that reprinted the original story and I vividly remember looking at that panel in the back of the car. I'd forgotten about it until years later when I read the story again in the Best of Walt Disney Comics reprint (also where I first read Frozen Gold). It's a memorable scene and maybe one of Barks best. The splash for Vacation Parade #1 is also up there in terms of dramatic panels. Anyone else have a favorite or memorable panel?

47162d536f4fe2860743efc3d9b831f3.jpg

Cover for The Best of Walt Disney Comics (Western, 1974 series) #96172

On 9/10/2024 at 3:15 PM, Badger said:

There are so many Uncle Scrooge stories that jump out at me like like Donald fainting into the arms of a Grizzly Bear in Christmas on Bear Mountain or Uncle Scrooge saving Barko the sled dog from the ice flow in North of the Yukon. The one that really sticks out, for me, though is the first Uncle Scrooge story I read in an Uncle Scrooge reprint issue The Many Faces of Magica De Spell. The raven taking on Magica's face was enough to raise my eye brows as a 10 year old and it still sticks with me now. The mean witch tossing pfoof bombs around while trying to steal the number 1 dime really captured my attention. Love it.

magica.jpg.2e8c5376f12f4a64894117848f55fcb1.jpg

YES! That is a classic tale and I too remember first reading it and being wonderfully entertained with all the face changing.

There were quite a few classic Barks stories that I didn't see in my early days of reading and collecting due to the fact that the stories weren't reprinted in Australian issues available to me at the time. It was the advent of Gladstone and the hardcover Carl Barks Library that let me read them all. (Tralala and Only a Poor Old Man were two I didn't see until I was around 30.) But the stories and images that most strongly caught my imagination were panels in The Flying Dutchman and the horseradish story. And it wasn't just the bigger splash panels that struck me. I loved this sequence and the use of silhouette and shadows to give a sense of the creepiness that Scrooge was experiencing. The bottom left of these panels was especially memorable.

Duck Comics Revue: "The Flying Dutchman"

On 9/12/2024 at 1:29 PM, Bigphatpaulie said:

A local dealer at an antique shop had a copy in the early 90’s, I can’t remember what he was asking but it was a) way too much for me when I had to put $75 books on layaway to afford them, and b) probably wasn’t much more than that but I didn’t get how rare it really was.

On 9/12/2024 at 5:01 PM, OtherEric said:

A local dealer at an antique shop had a copy in the early 90’s, I can’t remember what he was asking but it was a) way too much for me when I had to put $75 books on layaway to afford them, and b) probably wasn’t much more than that but I didn’t get how rare it really was.

I enjoyed those days too.  I remember back in the 90s saving up for a copy of ASM #300.  The comic book dealer at that store was literally a real life iteration of the Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.  Heavy-set, goatee, ratty pony-tail, and a very condescending attitude.  Told me it was so expensive was because it was in such good condition.

Years later I decided to get that graded and its returned with the dreaded purple label.  Yeah, I was pretty mad but I realized two things that day.  1.  I got ripped off and 2.  If I ever want to buy a book that's important to me, I always buy graded.  I get CGC isn't full-proof either, but something like that wouldn't have happened if I did.  I get the guy was trying to make a living but I don't have it in me to pull such sleaze-bag stunts. 

Edited by Bigphatpaulie