• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

On 3/11/2024 at 10:04 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Oh I'm sorry you didn't know but Rich passed away last year. Here is the tribute thread if you would like to read it.

RIP Rich Olson

So sorry to hear about his passing... he got me hooked on GA Disney and was a fountain of information in the short time I corresponded with him on the boards.

On 3/14/2024 at 4:07 AM, dikran said:

So sorry to hear about his passing... he got me hooked on GA Disney and was a fountain of information in the short time I corresponded with him on the boards.

Rich made a lot of connections on these boards all driven by his love of Disney comics! A wonderful thing for the rest of us to aspire to here!

On 4/7/2024 at 8:31 AM, OtherEric said:

Yeah, the price on the #450 is something of a jaw dropper

Yeah nice book but unless you are a high grade completist I just don't see the value. So many other places to drop that cash. And the edges don't look like a 9.2 to me; but I don't play the high grade game.

On 4/6/2024 at 8:48 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:
On 4/6/2024 at 7:31 PM, OtherEric said:

Yeah, the price on the #450 is something of a jaw dropper

Yeah nice book but unless you are a high grade completist I just don't see the value. So many other places to drop that cash. And the edges don't look like a 9.2 to me; but I don't play the high grade game.

The solution to the mystery is that it is sole highest graded.

On 4/7/2024 at 7:25 AM, Bigphatpaulie said:

This was shockingly low.  I don't know if it was the writing on the cover that put people off or what, but the consignor must've been pretty disappointed.

On 4/7/2024 at 7:25 AM, Bigphatpaulie said:

This was surprisingly high.  I can remember when 9.4 was the top grade in the Census for this book, and now there seem to be tons of 9.6s and 9.8s. 

On 4/6/2024 at 11:27 PM, tth2 said:

This was shockingly low.  I don't know if it was the writing on the cover that put people off or what, but the consignor must've been pretty disappointed.

This was surprisingly high.  I can remember when 9.4 was the top grade in the Census for this book, and now there seem to be tons of 9.6s and 9.8s. 

I noticed that too about Four Color #386.  I wish I made an attempt at it but I was saving up for a chance at the WDC&S #140. 

The consignor would be very disappointed if he purchased this back from the August 2018 auction.  Looks like it was regraded too without a change:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/four-color-386-uncle-scrooge-dell-1952-cgc-nm-92-white-pages/a/7189-91045.s?gck=aceb26a6-8066-4809-9021-5973a414eb85&utm_source=GoCollect&utm_medium=Growth_Partner&utm_campaign=Sponsored_Listing&utm_term=Four+Color+%23386&utm_content=7189-91045

WDC&S #140 was higher than I thought it'd be (more suprised at the FC #450 auction).  For a while there was only 1 other 9.8 on census but this new one has White Pages so it looks to be a better copy, but now there's two 9.8s on census.  Wasn't sure how it'd have affected the price.  

Edited by Bigphatpaulie

On 4/7/2024 at 11:47 AM, Bigphatpaulie said:

Ouch!  What makes it even more painful is that the book was in kind of a decade-long doldrums back in 2018, but had seen a resurgence in the last few years, so I'm sure there was an expectation of a nice profit over the 2018 price. :eek:

On 4/6/2024 at 11:27 PM, tth2 said:

The result of a combination of file copies, re-submissions, and pressing.

On 4/7/2024 at 11:00 PM, tth2 said:

Ouch!  What makes it even more painful is that the book was in kind of a decade-long doldrums back in 2018, but had seen a resurgence in the last few years, so I'm sure there was an expectation of a nice profit over the 2018 price. :eek:

Just to totally quantify the pain, allowing for the inflation of the intervening six years, the break even point was $9,640, so the book achieved about half its 2018 price in real terms. And then there are Heritage fees... :eek:

Edited by AJD

I might be an old curmudgeon*, but that Marvel blurb sounds pretty dire. I'm hoping it's better than I fear.

*Narrator: yep, he is.

Edited by AJD

On 4/7/2024 at 1:25 PM, adamstrange said:

The result of a combination of file copies, re-submissions, and pressing.

I'd like to know more about these Dell file copies. When did they appear out of the woodwork and do you have any idea of how many File copies there were per issue? Who unearthed them and how were they brought to market initially?

???

Edited by Hepcat