• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Congrats!! 893applaud-thumb.gif I didn't end up winning any of the ones I bid on frown.gif

Are you planning on CGC'ing them?

Nope. I plan on reading them.

I really wanted the March of Comics #20, but I couldn't get over the tape. Also, the bound volumes were very cool but way too pricey for me.

Funny you guys should mention MOC #20 and US 1/FC 386. Have you seen some of the books that will be in the upcoming Heritage Signature auction? I was astounded.

Funny you guys should mention MOC #20 and US 1/FC 386. Have you seen some of the books that will be in the upcoming Heritage Signature auction? I was astounded.

And me without an extra $20K to try to get that NM U$1...

It will be fun to watch.

And me without an extra $20K to try to get that NM U$1...

It will be fun to watch.

It will certainly be interesting to see if the $25K price on the last 9.4 US 1 is sustainable or was just a one-time anomaly. I can guarantee that the 9.4 copy in this auction will sell for at least $12K! tongue.gif

Bump...

anyone ever seen colors like this on a 50+ year old book...

Finnish DD 5-1952 vs. WDC$C 140 (1952)

sick_colors.JPG

Another pic.

Couple of new books...

Took pics with a digital camera and macro flash made them a bit dark on the edges.

AA%202-54.JPG

AA11C-54.JPG

AA1053.JPG

AA%209B54.JPG

I was looking at some of the raw FCs, but then I inquired about page quality on #159. Cream with tanning on the interior covers. :tonofbricks:

Interesting to see how long it took for foreign editions of some classic comics to appear compared to their US originals. The Finnish Scrooge #1 shown above has a 1954 cover date.

Here's the original Mexican issue dated September 1952, not long after the US version. They must have had a rush on it.

z-tio_rico_macpato-01a.JPG

Here's the back:

z-tio_rico_mcpato-01b.jpg

Thought I would post some of the early issues of the low grade run of Uncle Scrooge I picked up recently. Here are issues 1-5 in order.

US-1-FC-386-fc.jpg

US-2-FC-456-fc.jpg

US-3-FC-495-fc.jpg

US-4fc.jpg

US-5fc.jpg

Edited by Transplant

:applause: Nice pick ups and great stories all!

Hard to think of how you could find a better sequence of 5 issues with better stories!

OK, it may not walk like a duck or quack like a duck, but I can't think of a better place to post it than here with the ducks.

I just won Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies Comics 5, March 1942. A key of sorts -- first funny animal super-hero! Does anyone know if there's an early "Sniffles and Mary Jane" in this book?

Yeah, I know, it's damaged from the bound volume, but I can't complain for the price -- besides, bound volume books tend to be glossy, flat and have nice paper quality.

And what the heck is Bugs doing with his finger?

Jack

43921-ltmm5.jpg

Ah yes, the low low prices of Looney Tunes books. Tough in high grade but still affordable.

but no insight on Sniffles or Bugs' finger?

Jack

I'll go on a limb but since MJ & S were in # 1, they should be in this issue as well? Let us know when you get it and be sure to scan some of that MJ & S art goodness. :wishluck:

Ah yes, the low low prices of Looney Tunes books. Tough in high grade but still affordable.

but no insight on Sniffles or Bugs' finger?

Jack

I'll go on a limb but since MJ & S were in # 1, they should be in this issue as well? Let us know when you get it and be sure to scan some of that MJ & S art goodness. :wishluck:

Will do. According to Toonopedia, if the feature is here Sniffles should still get top billing over MJ.

There may also be a story about the politically incorrect Little Pancho Vanilla.

Jack

Poof Poof Piffles

Those early stories are really fun to read. Would have been a good time to post my original art from #8 but I can't find the scans...

Edit:

I bought this from the first fan ever to visit Carl Barks. He made up a story that he was a high school teacher who was doing a class project on comics and that he wanted to talk to the artist who was doing the Donald Duck stories. The editors at Western replied and gave him Barks' address. During the visit, Barks cut up a halfpage from "The Mysterious Unfinished Invention" story and dedicated one tier to the seller and the other to his brother. I love the inscriptions since Barks had no idea of the popularity of his stories at the time. The two brothers then kept the strips apart for the next 40 years which is why they show different ageing. Sadly, Barks originals from this time are exceptionally rare. These particular drawings are the only ones known to exist where the solid regions have not yet been filled in. Usually, Barks' wife would take care of that. They only survived because Barks cut them from the story before he mailed it to the publisher. The art is currently on loan to a museum exhibit.

us8_oa.jpg