• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

Some Big Little Books from the 30's and 40's. Barks reprints in the Frozen Gold and Volcano Valley. Doubtful about the cover though - too bad. Back covers are pretty cool too.

scan0059.jpgscan0060.jpg

scan0065.jpgscan0066.jpg

scan0062.jpgscan0068.jpg

scan0070.jpgscan0073.jpg

scan0078.jpg

Edited by ft88

Dear Clients:

This is a heads up that I will mount the 2nd Carl Barks Estate Auction today Friday the 28th, for a ten day auction on e-BAY.

This auction has nearly 200 lots (twice the previous number) and has a deeper selection of content than previously mounted material. Included are letters, file copy C.G.C. comics that are pre-graded, rare manuscripts, the 1930’s Disney Animated cartoon drawings of Carl, ARTIST PROOF Another Rainbow prints, original drawings and preliminary paintings, Western REMITTANCE sheets from 1947, 1949, and 1950 that show what Carl was paid for his work – and a host of other new areas of collectible material from Carl’s life.

You may call for any questions, and you can find this auction by simply entering the words CARL BARKS, or searching for jerry weist seller – and then click on the “view sellers other lots” to view the entire auction.

Good luck on your bidding.

If you wish to be removed from this mailing contact me and I shall remove your name at once.

Kindest Regards

Jerry Weist

P.S. My regular comics auction is also moving along and will mount in the first week of November- Art+ C.G.C. comics + golden age bound sets, etc.

The accounting documents are extremely interesting since they show that Barks actually was paid a pretty nice salary by Western. They seem to refute an old urban legend that Barks was underpaid and raise the question whether other factors may have been responsible for Barks' humble lifestyle.

I had hoped to buy the ledgers just so I could make them available to anyone interested. Unfortunately, I ended up as the underbidder on all 3 sets. Hopefully Jerry has copies that he will make available to researchers.

uncle286.jpg

I remember reading this in an old 64-pager from the 60's cant find it at the moment

Not this one. This is part of the Rosa series telling Scrooge's life story. The steamboat race you're thinking of was done by Barks. Can't rattle the original issue off though.

uncle286.jpg

I remember reading this in an old 64-pager from the 60's cant find it at the moment

Not this one. This is part of the Rosa series telling Scrooge's life story. The steamboat race you're thinking of was done by Barks. Can't rattle the original issue off though.

The Great Steamboat Race in US # 11 -

us_us_0155_01_001.jpg

Dear Clients:

This is a heads up that I will mount the 2nd Carl Barks Estate Auction today Friday the 28th, for a ten day auction on e-BAY.

This auction has nearly 200 lots (twice the previous number) and has a deeper selection of content than previously mounted material. Included are letters, file copy C.G.C. comics that are pre-graded, rare manuscripts, the 1930’s Disney Animated cartoon drawings of Carl, ARTIST PROOF Another Rainbow prints, original drawings and preliminary paintings, Western REMITTANCE sheets from 1947, 1949, and 1950 that show what Carl was paid for his work – and a host of other new areas of collectible material from Carl’s life.

You may call for any questions, and you can find this auction by simply entering the words CARL BARKS, or searching for jerry weist seller – and then click on the “view sellers other lots” to view the entire auction.

Good luck on your bidding.

If you wish to be removed from this mailing contact me and I shall remove your name at once.

Kindest Regards

Jerry Weist

P.S. My regular comics auction is also moving along and will mount in the first week of November- Art+ C.G.C. comics + golden age bound sets, etc.

The accounting documents are extremely interesting since they show that Barks actually was paid a pretty nice salary by Western. They seem to refute an old urban legend that Barks was underpaid and raise the question whether other factors may have been responsible for Barks' humble lifestyle.

I had hoped to buy the ledgers just so I could make them available to anyone interested. Unfortunately, I ended up as the underbidder on all 3 sets. Hopefully Jerry has copies that he will make available to researchers.

what was the salary? And for what time period do the ledgers cover?

that 310 has been going CRAZY lately. The last copy I saw raw on ebay ended at $140 or so. Its one of the few gladstones I have never had. :(

wow. I'm glad I bought all of those squarebounds back in the day. What are the other ones going for?

when I was trying to find one last year it was ending at $20-$35, and I Was always being outbid, but I had never seen one sell for THAT much until recently.
I've read that the print run was only 10,000 or so. Who knew?

Probably even less. I believe the circulation numbers are published in #316 and I think the closest issue to the statement date (ie 315) sold around 6,000 copies IIRC. So if 310 has been harder to find than 316/317/318 (which would be around 5k themselves), than 310 was probably under 5k.

Edited by Bronty

The exact figure was not clear from the information in the listing, but Barks' salary in 1947 appeared to have been at least $8,000. Based on the inflation calculator I used, that would amount to $72,000 today. Just as interestingly, there is a video on Youtube where Barks mentions that the $62 he was paid per week in the story department at Disney was a very good salary in the late 1930s. According to him, most animators were paid around $25/week. Going by these figures, the $8,000 in 1947 would have been over 2.5 times what Barks made in the story department 6-8 years earlier. I have not checked what inflation was back in the 1940s but, pending that, it does look like he did very well financially with the switch to comic books. The other ledgers from 1949 and 1950 shows that Barks' compensation went up from $25 per page to somewhere closer to $27-28 (can't remember).

I am not saying conclusively that Barks was well paid, but these figures suggest to me that he probably was well compensated compared to his peers. Perhaps there were other reasons why he lived in a tiny house out in nowhere back in the 1950s...

The exact figure was not clear from the information in the listing, but Barks' salary in 1947 appeared to have been at least $8,000. Based on the inflation calculator I used, that would amount to $72,000 today. Just as interestingly, there is a video on Youtube where Barks mentions that the $62 he was paid per week in the story department at Disney was a very good salary in the late 1930s. According to him, most animators were paid around $25/week. Going by these figures, the $8,000 in 1947 would have been over 2.5 times what Barks made in the story department 6-8 years earlier. I have not checked what inflation was back in the 1940s but, pending that, it does look like he did very well financially with the switch to comic books. The other ledgers from 1949 and 1950 shows that Barks' compensation went up from $25 per page to somewhere closer to $27-28 (can't remember).

I am not saying conclusively that Barks was well paid, but these figures suggest to me that he probably was well compensated compared to his peers. Perhaps there were other reasons why he lived in a tiny house out in nowhere back in the 1950s...

Divorce? (shrug)

Thanks for the info. 8k sounds like solid upper-middle of the middle class.

"Barks himself was making the fantastically good salary of $110 per month [at the Calgary Eye Opener]."

"... they offered me a raise if I'd stay on back at the Eye Opener. I had a little trepidation about leaving that offer and going to work for Disney for $20 a week, but I did."

From Overstreet #7.

The exact figure was not clear from the information in the listing, but Barks' salary in 1947 appeared to have been at least $8,000. Based on the inflation calculator I used, that would amount to $72,000 today.

I don't have the book (where these numbers are) here with me but by comparison in 1941, Army Captain's pay was $2,400 and Army Major's pay was $3,000. I'll look up General's pay tonight.

And here's some information for 1944 -

"Barron's National Business and Financial Weekly, April 24, 1944

By Malvern Hall Tillitt

Annual "net earned income" of the lowest-paid man in America's armed forces, if single, is more than that of the $3,600-a-year single man in civilian employment. And annual pay of $3,600 is more than the yearly earnings of many tellers in banks or bookkeepers in mercantile establishments or employees in investment houses or pharmacists or engineers in radio operation. It is twice the average pay received by employees of insurance concerns or public utilities or real estate companies. Indeed, Federal income-tax reports show that more than 90 percent of incomes earned by single persons throughout the United States fall below $3,600.

This may evoke a roar of incredulity from the ranks of men in military service drawing bottom pay and a chorus of derisive ha-ha's from $3,600-a-year civilian employees. But it is not to be roared or laughed down -- for it is a provable fact.

Of course, none of these figures is intended to prove that military service is anything but a sacrifice. Without even mentioning the danger to life or the acute discomforts suffered by our men at the front everywhere, every draftee also loses the companionship of his family and gives up several years of his civilian career.

For married men, the economic results of military service do not work out as favorably as they do for single men -- but in reality, they are to be figured as being much more favorable than is generally thought. The average-sized American family whose head has entered the armed forces may be enabled by contributions out of his pay and Government allowances to attain or maintain standards of living comparable with those of families dependent on civilian employment ranging from $1,600 to $3,400 a year. Even without counting on possible advancement of the entrant above the noncommissioned ratings,$3,400 a year is more than the annual income of 80 percent of all the families in the United States.

While, in some instances, the impact of military service of the husband on the family's economic status may be somewhat severe and may result in dislocation of family living habits, the family's economic condition will in many cases be improved."

Free to good home

Nobody bought on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110173864517&ssPageName=STRK:MEUS:IT&ih=001

duck1.jpg

duck2.jpg

Sent free today to first person in the USA who calls dibbs.

Public thanks to Kite. This is a fun little (big) book that I've never seen. He sent it as a freebie. Thanks Kite.

Here's an interesting story. I bought this raw off of ebay and submitted it quite a while ago. Few years later sold it to a Swede with a few other books for an offer I couldn't refuse. It shows up on ebay and I find it doing a past auction search. This book hadn't sold for $500. I make an offer and he sells it to me and here it is. Seems pretty round about but regardless, a sweet book.

Decent first appearance, Classic Scrooge cover, rare in high grade. And given that the 9.4 file copy sold for $3500, I'm pretty happy with the deal.

wdcs140b.jpg

wdcs140.jpg