• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

ooohhhh... that is nice!...... how long does the run stay fun & odd like that?

I'm no expert, since I my second oldest is #45 with the war bonds cover. That one's got good stuff in it, but it's out of reach so I can't cite specifics. I just got the 3nd and 4th oldest Looney Tunes that I own, #56 and 59 (1946), in the same box with #5. The Sniffles and Mary Jane (the mouse still gets top billing) stories are still wonderfully bizarre. You'd like the one in 59 with animated animal crackers -- I'll scan a page later, probably tomorrow. I think that feature stayed interesting through its whole run, since I have other issues up in the hundreds. WB really should reprint the feature in a collection, but I'm not sure it would sell enough copies to turn a profit. The other features in 56 and 59 are typical Bugs and Porky stories. Not quite as bad as when Mickey Mouse and friends moved to the suburbs, but not the wild stories that I've scanned here.

Probably a good rule of thumb is that any issue with an "old school" Bugs, before they streamlined him, on the cover is a good bet. Those issues are most likely to have oddball features. Any issue with Walt Kelly is a worthwhile too. He's there until at least #25. In fact, the Pat, Patsy and Pete page I just posted might be his.

Can any Looney Tunes experts help out?

Jack

Here are the weirdest MJ Sniffles pages from issue 90 and then issue 94 with the later not being nearly as good as issue 90. The only other issue I had is 116 which has a pretty weird storyline but the art isn't as eccentric as some of these earlier ones.

The early artwork reminds me a little of the old Andy Panda human interaction stories.

scan0106.jpgscan0107.jpg

Very nice artwork! Maybe I need to collect a few Mary Jane and Sniffles comics. hm

I'm no expert, since I my second oldest is #45 with the war bonds cover. That one's got good stuff in it, but it's out of reach so I can't cite specifics.

In 45 (my copy is within reach), in the MJ story, MJ & S get to meet the Three Bears from the classic tale. MJ thinks she's Wonder Woman 'cuz she gets tied by Papa Bear ... The other stories are the usual fare, zanier than later ones tend to be though. The art on Henry Hawk is very attractive and here's a page from one of the Bugs story. Some of the angles and perspectives used are highly unusual for a funny animal story. I love funny animal stories not drawn in a "big foot" fashion so these are always attractive -

44294-LT45-BugsPage.jpg.67f196a6ca2811d5e782880289715fa7.jpg

I'm no expert, since I my second oldest is #45 with the war bonds cover. That one's got good stuff in it, but it's out of reach so I can't cite specifics.

In 45 (my copy is within reach), in the MJ story, MJ & S get to meet the Three Bears from the classic tale. MJ thinks she's Wonder Woman 'cuz she gets tied by Papa Bear ... The other stories are the usual fare, zanier than later ones tend to be though. The art on Henry Hawk is very attractive and here's a page from one of the Bugs story. Some of the angles and perspectives used are highly unusual for a funny animal story. I love funny animal stories not drawn in a "big foot" fashion so these are always attractive -

44294-LT45-BugsPage.jpg

Dream Pills... :headbang:

Poughkeepsie file copy of Large Feature 7. Looks like it has never been read. This issue is very underrated in my opinion, possibly because of its rarity. The longer (very cool) storyline by Barks resembles "Pirate Gold" in many ways but the b/w art makes it unique. Seeing a copy in this condition is a real treat - by far the nicest I've ever come across.

LF17a.jpg

LF7i.jpg

I just got a ton of modern books back from CGC, and the majority of them are modern age Gladstone & Gemstone books. Figured I'd post a few of them here over the next couple of days. If anyone opposes since they're not Golden Age, just say the word and I'll stop.

First up is a very hard to find Gladstone book, and has the story "The Sign Of The Triple Distelfink" by Don Rosa, and a cool back cover of Carl Barks painting.

us310.jpg

us310b.jpg

that 310 has been going CRAZY lately. The last copy I saw raw on ebay ended at $140 or so. Its one of the few gladstones I have never had. :(

If anybody remembers my post re: the LG Scrooge collection I bought might be interested in the following. The guy who sold me that collection had held back 4 or 5 books and asked for an add'l $100. I paid $500 for close to 400 books including a run of 1-100. I balked at the time not having any idea of the low print runs of 310. That 310 that went for $132 on Ebay was his. :makepoint: