• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Those early stories are really fun to read. Would have been a good time to post my original art from #8 but I can't find the scans...

Edit:

I bought this from the first fan ever to visit Carl Barks. He made up a story that he was a high school teacher who was doing a class project on comics and that he wanted to talk to the artist who was doing the Donald Duck stories. The editors at Western replied and gave him Barks' address. During the visit, Barks cut up a halfpage from "The Mysterious Unfinished Invention" story and dedicated one tier to the seller and the other to his brother. I love the inscriptions since Barks had no idea of the popularity of his stories at the time. The two brothers then kept the strips apart for the next 40 years which is why they show different ageing. Sadly, Barks originals from this time are exceptionally rare. These particular drawings are the only ones known to exist where the solid regions have not yet been filled in. Usually, Barks' wife would take care of that. They only survived because Barks cut them from the story before he mailed it to the publisher. The art is currently on loan to a museum exhibit.

Thanks for sharing that. I found your earlier thread about John Spicer a few months back. Here it is for those who missed it.

Fun to see that old post again.

I had the pleasure of meeting John back in 2001. I won his eBay auction for the "Land Beneath the Ground" piece that he mentions. The auction listing contained the following sentence: "I know this piece is genuine because Carl Barks handed it to me himself 40 years ago". I bid on an impulse since I had never seen anything like it and remember having a bit of buyer's remorse right after the auction since I normally am very disciplined in my purchases. This strange item didn't fit into my collection at all! It turned out that John lived a 20 minute drive from my home and he stopped by and hand delivered it. He brought the top part of the US 8 halfpage with him just to show it to me - it was not for sale. I have a great photo of him holding the two originals.

I had the pleasure of meeting John back in 2001. I won his eBay auction for the "Land Beneath the Ground" piece that he mentions. The auction listing contained the following sentence: "I know this piece is genuine because Carl Barks handed it to me himself 40 years ago". I bid on an impulse since I had never seen anything like it and remember having a bit of buyer's remorse right after the auction since I normally am very disciplined in my purchases. This strange item didn't fit into my collection at all! It turned out that John lived a 20 minute drive from my home and he stopped by and hand delivered it. He brought the top part of the US 8 halfpage with him just to show it to me - it was not for sale. I have a great photo of him holding the two originals.

Let's see it! :wishluck:

It's good to see how you view yourself as a custodian of a treasure as well as a collector and that you have been willing to make some of the artwork available to a museum for others to see. (thumbs u

Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies 5 arrived. Very cool book!

Here's the splash panel of Bugs Bunny, the Super-Duper Rabbit:

44247-ltmm5.jpg

As predicted, Sniffles gets lead billing over Mary Jane, but MJ is clearly taking over the strip. Classic style, different from later Mary Jane. She doesn't snort any magic dust here, but instead uses magic slippers to "get small".

44249-ltmm5002.jpg

And do you recognize the art of "Leon Schlesinger" here?

44248-ltmm5001.jpg

Early Walt Kelly! He'd return to cavemen more than once, in The Glob and Prehysterical Pogo. This might be his earliest caveman art. Interesting, with some politically incorrect cannibal characters.

If anyone's interested, I'll try to scan more pages. There's an Elmer Fudd story in a very open, non-Warner Brothers style. No Pancho Vanilla.

Jack

Ah yes, the low low prices of Looney Tunes books. Tough in high grade but still affordable.

but no insight on Sniffles or Bugs' finger?

Jack

I'll go on a limb but since MJ & S were in # 1, they should be in this issue as well? Let us know when you get it and be sure to scan some of that MJ & S art goodness. :wishluck:

Will do. According to Toonopedia, if the feature is here Sniffles should still get top billing over MJ.

There may also be a story about the politically incorrect Little Pancho Vanilla.

Jack

Poof Poof Piffles

Those early stories are really fun to read. Would have been a good time to post my original art from #8 but I can't find the scans...

Edit:

I bought this from the first fan ever to visit Carl Barks. He made up a story that he was a high school teacher who was doing a class project on comics and that he wanted to talk to the artist who was doing the Donald Duck stories. The editors at Western replied and gave him Barks' address. During the visit, Barks cut up a halfpage from "The Mysterious Unfinished Invention" story and dedicated one tier to the seller and the other to his brother. I love the inscriptions since Barks had no idea of the popularity of his stories at the time. The two brothers then kept the strips apart for the next 40 years which is why they show different ageing. Sadly, Barks originals from this time are exceptionally rare. These particular drawings are the only ones known to exist where the solid regions have not yet been filled in. Usually, Barks' wife would take care of that. They only survived because Barks cut them from the story before he mailed it to the publisher. The art is currently on loan to a museum exhibit.

us8_oa.jpg

If there is a diety, I hope he has richly rewarded Carl Barks. No comic creator has given me as much pleasure and joy

If anyone's interested, I'll try to scan more pages. There's an Elmer Fudd story in a very open, non-Warner Brothers style. No Pancho Vanilla.

I'm all ears. Or eyes. Or whatever. Just post! (thumbs u

I'm all ears.

Cwazy Wabbit!

Or eyes. Or whatever. Just post! (thumbs u

Manaña. Meanwhile, check out my Atomic Age post.

Jack

That Looney Tunes looks great Jack! I keep trying to ignore that title...please stop showing me pages...

Bwahaha. You can have mine for a meeeeelion dollars.

Most Looney Tunes are dirt cheap compared to the pre-code horror that you pursue. In general, you'd love the Mary Jane and Sniffles feature, which has a distorted-reality feeling like some of your own work. Alice in Wonderland-like, characters sitting on mushrooms and what-not. The story I posted the splash page from is a "fractured" Jack in the Beanstalk. I think that you'd also like the off-model Elmer Fudd story that I'll try to post a page from tonight.

Take a look at Atomic Rabbit 9 posted on the Atomic Age thread if you have a chance. Maurice (whoot-woo) Whitman!

Jack

I loved reading the stories about the original art and meeting Carl. More please!

Oh, yeah. And I wanted to post this. Just received from CGC.

DynabriteUncleScroogeClassics.jpg

Yow! That's sweet!!

Thanks, Jeffro. I picked it up with a couple other DynaBrites that look just as nice. I plan on getting them graded too. This was the first copy of this issue to get a 9.8 but I don't know if that is just an anomaly. I was told that these books are particularly difficult to find in HG. I would appreciate any insights from the Duck experts out there...

What a weird coincidence. I just opened a lot from ebay that had 2 of these Dynabrites in them. I've never seen them before. Neither of mine are going to grade 9.8.

One thing I do have a set of is the Best of Walt Disney squarebounds that repro several great Disney stories, including Barks' ducks.

Edited by Transplant

I'm all ears.

Cwazy Wabbit!

Two more pages from Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies 5, this time with an actual duck to go with the subject line!

First, the last page of the odd Elmer Fudd story. Not only does Elmer look weird, look who he's calling Daffy Duck! The story about a remote-control gunboat has a very WWII feel to it. Prof Anteater just shows up out of nowhere on this page.

44288-ltmm5005.jpg

Second, a page from a surreal Pat Patsy and Pete story. Penguin Pete is hunting gold pieces that he left near a pirate lodge under the sea. Several of the pages are magnificent! Check out the racist gag here (a sign earlier said, "Do Not Disturb the Black Fish"), the pictographs in a word balloon, and the great sea goblin, who has a most interesting backstory!

44289-ltmm5007.jpg

Does anyone have a clue about the artists? Notfrom WB's usual stable, I'd say. I'm enjoying this comic book more than any other I've bought in months!

Jack

I'm enjoying this comic book more than any other I've bought in months!

I can see why! There's some very good artwork hiding in those funny animal comics (thumbs u