• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

Any one got any thoughts on the PLOD one. I was thinking of maybe having the color touch removed, how do you think it would affect the grade?

:grin: (thumbs u

Andrew

Just pretend we're a bit slow here in Australia (it's a stretch, I know) - which PLOD one?

There's a couple of nice PLOD books in the Heritage Nov auction - the FC 29 is especially nice... but not color touched.

Sorry I was referring to the one I just purchased WDC&S 89.

Andrew

88544.jpg.1a98b759bb93e3c727c512436ebaf6e5.jpg

I would leave the c/t alone, but that's just me.

Great group of duck pickups! :applause: I have a copy of #23 as well, and those yellows and oranges just scream. One of the really fun sleeper covers from that era.

I would leave the c/t alone, but that's just me.

I agree, but I was just curious. I can't even see it;I think it's above his left eye?

We love the book and the grade especially for the discounted price we got it for. :angel::cloud9::devil:

It's top grade in the census. I just thought if it was that good with the c/t what would it be without? 8.5-9.0? I was trying to do the collection w/out PLOD's but I may make an exception on this one.

Andrew

FWIW, I'd be carefulnto not do something to a book I owned to make it look worse and I'd be even more careful to not do anything that would harm the book in any way.

Removing CT that is well done and inconspicuous will certainly do the first and I'd have thought probably the second. (There must be some level at which the colour is bonded to the surface.)

I'd leave it and enjoy it. If the PLOD bothers you, crack it and mylar it - it'd look wonderful!

Andrew (another one - not you :) )

Never noticed the subscription square on these forties books before. Was this on the standard books or a special print run?

Not on our copy or any of the other copies of that time frame. hm

On most of our copies the address square is on the back cover. hm

But our copy doesn't even have that. ???

Andrew

88680.jpg.b6119efd9fc82a7f6eeccc5d7c409343.jpg

88681.jpg.00ebd6195dd99ee077dbf768a7eca1a5.jpg

This is just cool, another Dell mystery! Leave it to the Poughkeepsie boys to keep you guessing after all these years.

Never noticed the subscription square on these forties books before. Was this on the standard books or a special print run?

Andrew

This is just cool, another Dell mystery! Leave it to the Poughkeepsie boys to keep you guessing after all these years.

Andrew

I did a search for this issue on ebay and saw another with the address there (used). I am thinking some issues they put the blank box on the back and other times on the front. Only used for subscription copies, and most of those are now low grade so perhaps that why it seems strange to us.

Andrew

I did a search for this issue on ebay and saw another with the address there (used). I am thinking some issues they put the blank box on the back and other times on the front. Only used for subscription copies, and most of those are now low grade so perhaps that why it seems strange to us.

I'll have to dig out some of our raw copies and see, as those are not as high in grade. hm

Andrew

:applause:

Great books BB-Gun, any idea who Edgar Vail is?

Andrew

I have no idea who Edgar was but he liked Disney comics. I purchased a big batch with his name stamped on them. In the batch I found a FC 199 which was in pretty good (Fine plus) condition and cost me $5. I traded X-Men 1 for a copy of fc 199 in VG during a fit of insanity back in 1980. Sad, very sad. I must be the worst trader/dealer on the planet.

bb :insane:

Edited by BB-Gun

Andrew

I have no idea who Edgar was but he liked Disney comics. I purchased a big batch with his name stamped on them. In the batch I found a FC 199 which was in pretty good (Fine plus) condition and cost me $5. I traded X-Men 1 for a copy of fc 199 in VG during a fit of insanity back in 1980. Sad, very sad. I must be the worst trader/dealer on the planet.

Add me on the crazy boat with you. Monetary values aside, I would much rather have an FC 199 – one of my two favorite Duck books.

dd199slab.jpg

Andrew

Add me on the crazy boat with you. Monetary values aside, I would much rather have an FC 199 – one of my two favorite Duck books.

dd199slab.jpg

Thanks for jumping on the boat. My son, Andrew, joined me in this picture taken in Duckburg 10-15 years ago.

4103553804_4f6dfb550b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I haven't bought any new Australian duck comics for quite some time, but I was glad to get these ones recently.

This one is a reprint of Uncle Scrooge #30. I actually prefer this cover to the Dell edition. I think the yellow background does a much better job of selling the hot weather than the original light blue.

G_197.jpg

And a WDC&S. This one reprints Dell #238 - the Australian numbers were offset by about 65 because they didn't start until 1946. The final edition was #380 in 1978.

WDCS_172_oz.jpg

Minor points of interest are:

The spelling 'color' which was used up until the mid 1960s. After that US spelling was avoided - to the point of word balloons being quite obviously edited to include an extra 'u' in words like colour and neighbour. I'll dig out some examples and post them when I get time.

The currency - we used the British pounds, shillings, pence until April 1966, dollars and cents after that. I have a couple of issues from the couple of months before and during the transition that have both prices 1/- and 10c.

Cheers,

Andrew

I haven't bought any new Australian duck comics for quite some time, but I was glad to get these ones recently.

This one is a reprint of Uncle Scrooge #30. I actually prefer this cover to the Dell edition. I think the yellow background does a much better job of selling the hot weather than the original light blue.

G_197.jpg

And a WDC&S. This one reprints Dell #238 - the Australian numbers were offset by about 65 because they didn't start until 1946. The final edition was #380 in 1978.

WDCS_172_oz.jpg

Minor points of interest are:

The spelling 'color' which was used up until the mid 1960s. After that US spelling was avoided - to the point of word balloons being quite obviously edited to include an extra 'u' in words like colour and neighbour. I'll dig out some examples and post them when I get time.

The currency - we used the British pounds, shillings, pence until April 1966, dollars and cents after that. I have a couple of issues from the couple of months before and during the transition that have both prices 1/- and 10c.

Cheers,

Andrew

Nice books Andrew - anyone who has seen the reprints "in hand" will note that while covers were of a "thin" paper stock, the interiors (all in colour, unlike most other reprints) have a nice white appearance that is very pleasing to the eye.

The matter of ham-fisted corrections in reprints is not confined to the Duck books either. I know I have a Black and White World's Finest reprint from the fifties around somewhere that has changed all the Dollar amounts to Pounds (which is usual for books of that period) but also a phone call is coming in for Batman from Melbourne lol

And shame on you Andrew - the switch to decimal currency happened on 14 February 1966, not April. :makepoint:

And shame on you Andrew - the switch to decimal currency happened on 14 February 1966, not April. :makepoint:

Hey, I was three years old. I misremembered the stupid song as including April... As usual, Google is our friend (apologies in advance to non-Aussie readers who won't have a clue what all this is about):

Decimal Change Over Song

In come the dollars and in come the cents

To replace the pounds and the shillings and the pence

Be prepared for change when the coins begin to mix

On the fourteenth of February 1966.

Clink go the coins, clink, clink, clink

Change over day is closer than you think

Learn the value of the coins and the way that they appear

And things will be much smoother when the decimal point is here.