• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

I was doing a little re-bagging and boarding last night and came across this.

As is usual (for me anyway) I'd completely forgotten I had it. For those who came in late, Disney/Dell's were reprinted here from 1946-1974. They were (obviously) printed in low numbers but, surprisingly, the page quality was better than the originals - although the cover stock was simply an extension of the internals.

This one was actually the second reprint of FC #386 here - the first was in 1952, this one is from 1958.

Here's a link to a useful database of these things.

Nice one Peter. I've always been confused as to why this is the 'Giant' series when they are the same size as all the other Aussie reprints - i.e. 32 pages including the front cover. (Which meant that the 32 page stories like 'Only a Poor Old Man' had to have a page cut - I don't have that one; what was cut from the Dell issue?)

But it turns out that the even earlier ones had 24 pages (I have a few of those now). In terms of quantity the early Aussie reprints left a lot to be desired!

Cheers,

Andrew

Good question, and I had to check.

Interestingly, it is not a whole page that was cut - just panels, to wit:

From the original, Page 2, panels 7 & 8 were excised (a rat is caught by Scrooge)

Page 3, panels 1 through 4 (Scrooge explains the comfort that money gives him and deals with a spider).

Page 3 panels 6 & 7 (Scrooge uses a blunderbuss to deal with a moth).

So, page 2 loses the rat trap gag and the only panels that survive from page 3 are 5 and 8. This gives a total of 8 panels or one page "edited".

What's lost is a bit of exposition, but it does detract a little from setting up the nature of Scrooge's obsessive compulsive disorder.

That's 'Josh's Comics & Coins'. The consensus awhile back was that he was buying books and boosting their grades when selling, or cracking slabbed books and not disclosing slight resto. I would try to avoid.

That's 'Josh's Comics & Coins'. The consensus awhile back was that he was buying books and boosting their grades when selling, or cracking slabbed books and not disclosing slight resto. I would try to avoid.

He also had/has a WDC&S #20 that he grades at good which is brittle to the point of most of the internal pages being loose. To be fair, the cover presents well and he discloses the damage in the ad. But I think it's clearly overpriced.

4619026864_d411e1bdf7.jpg

I picked up a couple of copies of this book. It was not as difficult to find as the Lemonade King but the dust cover was damaged around the title.

This one was hard to find.

2554059906_f188b8cbec.jpg

My favorite duck isn't a comic book, but a picture. The wife gave this to me for Christmas a few years ago:

DSC03727_resize.jpg

Cool - I've got some ducks on my wall as well. (Not that one though.) The Barks library cover prints make great posters. Mine alternate with EC (sci-fi) cover prints - also great decorations.

(Note to self: get Wings #79 hm )

My favorite duck isn't a comic book, but a picture. The wife gave this to me for Christmas a few years ago:

DSC03727_resize.jpg

That room looks great. Spinner rack, plus the Corgi Batmobile, the Duck picture, the Supersnipe... :cloud9:

Love these books

4629826476_42f9514735_o.jpg4629826660_96cfd38bf6_o.jpg4629826832_d8bc1320a6_o.jpg4629226241_48c1271af6_o.jpg4629226471_d4150e22c9_o.jpg4629827460_16f81934b5_o.jpg

Great group of books. I see several of my favorite WDCS covers in there.

#26 is my all time favorite :cloud9:

I also have to say I love the deep red color on the Jack in the box cover/issue.