• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,467 posts in this topic

Scrooge

Mix of books? Ah I'm taking a guess - 500 Funny Animals, Blondie, Archie, etc.

400 or so Disney, 800 Western, and 200 - 300 Other stuff. It could be more weighted toward the "funnies" since I have never really counted.

I know I have for Publishers - 1263 Dell's, 219 Gold Key, 141 Western (Gold Key/Whitman), 136 Archie MLJ, 109 Harvey, 69 Charlton, 51 Fawcett's and smaller lots of other GA and SA publishers.

At least the kids now know who Daffy Duck, Uncle Scrooge, Donald and Mickey are.

I ask my sons (25 and 23) about "Cowboys" and they only come up with Clint Eastwood, "and he's like really old" is the answer. They have no idea who John Wayne is let alone Red Ryder, Gene Autry, Hopalong Cassidy, Gabby Hayes, etc. Funny how generations change.

Rick

They have no idea who John Wayne is

Rick

You've failed as a father! Just kidding. I'd have to ask my students if they know John Wayne to see how widespread this is.

Btw, gorgeous U$ 7. From conversations on the boards, it seems harder to find in any great shape than the other issues around. You might even receive PMs about it. Plus, it's nice and white :applause:

Scrooge

Ha good luck with the John Wayne question. I'll bet 10% or less know who he is. And of that 10% most will say "that guy in the Green Beret movie".

As I said that is one of my best ducks. I wish they were all that good. Here is one that thank God has the Date printed on the cover. Grandma loved putting the year in the white area of the comic (like the super duck one). Sometimes once wasn't enough, she had to do it 2 or maybe even 3 times ARRRG! But she was kind enough to stop that practice by the 1950's at least.

Hope you like this one. One of the comics that's seen a lot of reading and weather.

Rick

WDCfront.jpg

WDCback.jpg

4188554057_1e8186d48d.jpg

That issue of WDCS should always be a little beat up to match the moth eaten cover.

Even John Wayne fans don't remember the Green Beret movie. I think he is probably better known for True Grit. But I liked Stagecoach, Yellow Ribbon and Red River.

bb

4370303716_aa1dc6a45a_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I think early Fawcett Gene Autry comics sell pretty well. Early Marvel westerns seem to move.

There are many Dell westerns and they don't all move well. I bet even Roy Rogers is slow.

I think in general, western comics based on real movie stars (Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Tex Ritter, etc.) are pretty much dead.

Timely/Atlas westerns still do very well, particularly in HG. Other westerns, not so much.

Even John Wayne fans don't remember the Green Beret movie. I think he is probably better known for True Grit. But I liked Stagecoach, Yellow Ribbon and Red River.

Gotta love the Duke!

Thinking about it now, it's kind of funny that comics were based on just about every western star under the sun, except for the biggest western star of them all.

I think early Fawcett Gene Autry comics sell pretty well. Early Marvel westerns seem to move.

There are many Dell westerns and they don't all move well. I bet even Roy Rogers is slow.

I think in general, western comics based on real movie stars (Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, Tex Ritter, etc.) are pretty much dead.

Timely/Atlas westerns still do very well, particularly in HG. Other westerns, not so much.

tex ritter :cloud9:

John Wayne Adventure comics, Toby, 31 issues, art by Williamson and Frazetta

Maybe the Frazetta art makes them collector items which decreases the number on the market. Maybe lower print runs from Toby has an effect. But they are probably just sitting in the Western box and being ignored. 4371093415_09b51aa87c_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

One thing they suffer from is that OSPG is really high on them compared to FMV and that further encourages them sitting in boxes when found ... Most people know that and therefore when they show up on eBay they rarely are put for auctions but end up with Fixed Listing with high prices and never sell.

One thing they suffer from is that OSPG is really high on them compared to FMV and that further encourages them sitting in boxes when found ... Most people know that and therefore when they show up on eBay they rarely are put for auctions but end up with Fixed Listing with high prices and never sell.
hm

Scrooge

Ha good luck with the John Wayne question. I'll bet 10% or less know who he is. And of that 10% most will say "that guy in the Green Beret movie".

As I said that is one of my best ducks. I wish they were all that good. Here is one that thank God has the Date printed on the cover. Grandma loved putting the year in the white area of the comic (like the super duck one). Sometimes once wasn't enough, she had to do it 2 or maybe even 3 times ARRRG! But she was kind enough to stop that practice by the 1950's at least.

Hope you like this one. One of the comics that's seen a lot of reading and weather.

Rick

WDCfront.jpg

WDCback.jpg

Do you have one of those handsome giant-sized circus pictures? I had to clean this one up with Photoshop.

3370928957_83f34f0eaf_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I guess I never see them up for sale, which is why I thought he never had his own series.

I guess I never see them up for sale, which is why I thought he never had his own series.

I have not seen very many in high grade so while low grades may sit around in boxes that's not my experience with the high grade copies.

Hope you like these, all ducks sorry no John Wayne.

I really like the back covers, they are as good as the fronts.

ChristmasFront.jpg

Christmasbck.jpg

btsfront.jpg

btsback.jpg

And of course my favorite. Got to go to Disneyland for the very first time last year.

Have been to WDW many times so it was a great time seeing the first/original park.

USDisneyfront.jpg

USDisneyback.jpg

Hope you like these, all ducks sorry no John Wayne.

I really like the back covers, they are as good as the fronts.

btsback.jpg

And of course my favorite. Got to go to Disneyland for the very first time last year.

Have been to WDW many times so it was a great time seeing the first/original park.

USDisneyfront.jpg

USDisneyback.jpg

That Disneyland issue is in really nice shape. It was reprinted in the 1990s I think but I remember reading the original. I am still working on the Christmas Parade issues. I think I need two more.

3118739333_b0ce0b2007_b.jpg