• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,467 posts in this topic

Great pickups!! :applause:

Talk about jumping in with both feet. I mean, I am still trying to sneak up on a decent FC 386 :cry:

Sometimes you just need to jump in. I've actually been quietly bidding on nice copies of FC 386 for maybe a year and a half. It had always been one of my favorite covers. ComicLink has had a number of them come through and I've noticed Ducks do far worse there than Heritage.

Now I need to find a nice 3 and 4 and then I am likely done with Scrooge as I do not really like the solid background covers although #7 looks great. I may selectively try to get some of the Donald Four Colors if the price is right.

PM Sent

From my daughter for father's day. Acrylic on canvas and awaiting matting and framing. I'll try to get a better photo - this one is a bit washed out, but the colours in real life look great. :cloud9:

fliegende_hollander.jpg

From my daughter for father's day. Acrylic on canvas and awaiting matting and framing. I'll try to get a better photo - this one is a bit washed out, but the colours in real life look great. :cloud9:

fliegende_hollander.jpg

That looks great. Can she do one of the great pie fight in Scrooge 5?

fliegende_hollander.jpg

:applause: great work!

That looks great. Can she do one of the great pie fight in Scrooge 5?

I'll see what I can do. That would be cool... I think she's eyeing the serpent in Terror of the River at the moment.

Andrew, love your daughter's painting!

Here's a recent WDCS pickup I'm enjoying. When time and budget allow, I'm trying to nibble away at a #1-50 (give or take...) run.

wdcs48.jpg

That's such a great cover. Some of the Dells of that time are beautifully done. Nice pickup Jon.

fliegende_hollander.jpg

Great effort on your daughter's part :applause:

hm

How about getting her to do a version of one of Barks' early Money Bin oils? :whistle:

I picked up this odd little item at a flea market. It's a publication (that's kind of overstating its production values though) by an anarchist organisation - can you say 'oxymoron' boys and girls - in New Zealand.

I think it's extracts from the 1970s book here . Basically it's a Marxist rant about the interaction between the ducks and the peoples of developing or third world countries. While they kind of have a point to make, the ranty tone wears thin really fast.

And the last few pages are headed 'How to deal with the magical San Pedro cactus' and is about extracting mescalin from peyote cacti. Instructions include heating a beaker containing sodium hydroxide and benzine. Kids, don't try this at home! :o

How_to_read_DD_cover.jpg

How_to_read_DD_inside.jpg

Andrew, love your daughter's painting!

Here's a recent WDCS pickup I'm enjoying. When time and budget allow, I'm trying to nibble away at a #1-50 (give or take...) run.

wdcs48.jpg

I don't think I will ever get the first issue but I have found a lot of those issues in poor-good condtion at low prices. High grade is probably a little tougher. In spite of having the best paper quality of any golden age comics to start with, WDCS seem to have tanning due to poor storage in attics of the old house. Fortunately some of them have been stored in cool, dry places. The stories are still fun to read and when I buy one, I usually read it. Barks is just too good to pass by with a glance.

bb

4116036275_2a9f729dec.jpg4197798920_1a9e81b63b.jpg4159038026_0f01d1cd16.jpg4197798968_e5d492e0ae.jpg4197044933_e643b11cd1.jpg2234165716_c91622ca17.jpg

I picked up this odd little item at a flea market. It's a publication (that's kind of overstating its production values though) by an anarchist organisation - can you say 'oxymoron' boys and girls - in New Zealand.

I think it's extracts from the 1970s book here . Basically it's a Marxist rant about the interaction between the ducks and the peoples of developing or third world countries. While they kind of have a point to make, the ranty tone wears thin really fast.

The political drift of Disney is blatant in these few comics where he is impelled to reveal his intentions openly.

I guess the writers weren't aware there were other writers on the books besides ol' Walt himself. ;) Cool find!

I don't think I will ever get the first issue but I have found a lot of those issues in poor-good condtion at low prices. High grade is probably a little tougher. In spite of having the best paper quality of any golden age comics to start with, WDCS seem to have tanning due to poor storage in attics of the old house. Fortunately some of them have been stored in cool, dry places. The stories are still fun to read and when I buy one, I usually read it. Barks is just too good to pass by with a glance.

bb

Nice set! That #31 looks like a beaut...

I'll have some 'poor-good condition at low prices' WDCSs from this era up on the 'bay after Labor Day (see the Ebay/Dealers section). Hope you swing by. :shy:

Thanks to a tip over in the comic events section from Steve Borock, my daughter and I headed over to the newly opened Heritage Gallery in Beverly Hills to view a number of Barks' paintings from the Kerby Confer collection on display. It being the Saturday morning of the 3 day weekend, what is normally a one hour drive only took 30 minutes each way from the Pasadena area.

My daughter who is eleven and a big fan of Little Lulu took all the photos. She got a big kick out of the paintings and maybe a bigger kick out of some of the other rare collectibles on display including actual dinosaur fossils.

I apologize in advance for the quality of the photos as we had to do our best with a flash, the gallery lights and a handheld camera with only about 30 minutes for our visit. Hopefully, you will get a sense of the mastery of the works but there is no alternative to seeing them in person. As you look at them you can tell that Barks really understood and lived these characters. There is a fullness and richness to his paintings that brings the characters into three dimensions on the canvas. It was great to be able to get close and look at the detail of his brushwork as well as his layering work that really achieves this three dimensionality.

My personal favorite was "A Christmas Trimming," which positively oozes mood and Scrooge's miserliness. My daughter loved that one too. Some of the duck portraits are rather great too though. Enjoy.

103465.jpg.d27e303e5a0a6578da84aa66c11e0edc.jpg

103466.jpg.1804bfa69565c370a2ab0d3137ffd1e9.jpg

103468.jpg.45add063a6fea8dffdc2b080f74da6be.jpg