• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,468 posts in this topic

Can you enlighten this unworthy one, please?

The soft cover Gladstone Carl Barks Library in Color volumes were shrinkwrapped with a trading card in each one.

I'll shoot you the duplicates I have in the mail - then there'll be no excuse for further ignorance. :baiting:

:foryou:

(worship)

I am not worthy.

And thanks for the link (thumbs u

I've been a little busy in the last few years but I've quietly continued to improve my collection (including 20+ upgrades to my Mickey Mouse Magazine run since I last posted them).

Here's another early issue; only a handful of my best copies from the first 2 years have been graded so far. I know other people think differently, but I really like how they present in CGC holders.

MickeyMouseMagazine_2_9-0.jpg

Both are pretty, but the first one was more fun. I bought that on eBay for almost nothing over 10 years ago. The second one is a more recent addition.

Edited by tb

I really like the duo - Red and Yellow colouring on that one.

Do we know who the artist is on these early Mags? I've seen them before but never stopped a second to wonder about that. I imagine they might have been studio artists doing these as one offs on the side? Do you have any insights into that?

Do we know who the artist is on these early Mags? I've seen them before but never stopped a second to wonder about that. I imagine they might have been studio artists doing these as one offs on the side? Do you have any insights into that?

Must be studio artists, quality of the work is phenomenal.

That's an interesting question. Did Walt Disney contract it out to someone, not an unlikely possibility, or was this handled by the Disney Corp.

tb: Is there anything you've heard regarding who produced the magazine content? Is there anything you can tell by looking at the indicia?

That's an interesting question. Did Walt Disney contract it out to someone, not an unlikely possibility, or was this handled by the Disney Corp.

tb: Is there anything you've heard regarding who produced the magazine content? Is there anything you can tell by looking at the indicia?

I'm thinking John Stanley maybe? (shrug) He's credited with the artwork on this magazine during the time period.

Edited by Twistty1

As a complete non-initiate, can someone clue me in on what distinguishes Carl Barks from other Disney Duck artists? At this point I have zero ability to tell his art for the others...

As a complete non-initiate, can someone clue me in on what distinguishes Carl Barks from other Disney Duck artists? At this point I have zero ability to tell his art for the others...

Go to your Local Comic Shop and ask to buy two books. First, a reprint of one of Barks classic Four Color Tales - try Old Castle's Secret or Only a Poor Old Man but almost any story will suffice. Second, a current copy of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories containing a duck story that is not a reprint of Barks.

Report back here.

lol ....... he's kind of right though. the differences with barks will only become clear to you after you read his work. his covers are great and all but its the interiors that are head and shoulders above other duck artists.

Go to your Local Comic Shop and ask to buy two books. First, a reprint of one of Barks classic Four Color Tales - try Old Castle's Secret or Only a Poor Old Man but almost any story will suffice. Second, a current copy of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories containing a duck story that is not a reprint of Barks.

Report back here.

Good answer.

Personally, I think a lot of the popularity of Barks' stories can be attributed to his experience at Disney's story department where he worked from the mid-1930s until the early 1940s. Earlier in my own career, I worked on R&D at Pixar Animation Studios. During this time, I got a lot of insights into why Pixar's shorts and features stand out from most other animation houses. I am convinced a lot has to do with the pressure cooker effect that existed in the story department where a small group of ungodly talented and accomplished individuals worked very closely together, constantly learning from each other. What makes a character or a story compelling is not something you can read in a book. You _need_ to be in such an environment to to be able to create stories like Barks'. It is the combination of all the little things that you don't notice that make his work special. The "Only a Poor Old Man" story that 40YCC mentioned is a brilliant example. The story starts with a very clever sequence that builds Scrooge's character and makes the reader relate to him and his problems. This sets up a really whimsical and original storyline followed by an ingenious ending that explains Scrooge's unique fascination with money. I refuse to believe that such an understated masterpiece of a story would have been possible if it had not been for what Barks learned at Disney. I see very similar differences between Barks' work compared to other comic book artists that I see between Pixar's stories and those developed by other teams without the same background.

Surely not the shortest answer you'll get, but I think these observations are very important towards understanding why Barks is so beloved compared to other Disney artists.

Got this book a couple of years ago from what I am pretty sure must have been the auction of either Geppi's or Snyder's WDCS run.

WaltDisneysComicsandStories_4_8-5.jpg

Gorgeous book. (thumbs u I'd love to get a few single-digit WDCSs sometime.

Report back here.

Good answer.

Personally, I think a lot of the popularity of Barks' stories can be attributed to his experience at Disney's story department where he worked from the mid-1930s until the early 1940s. Earlier in my own career, I worked on R&D at Pixar Animation Studios. During this time, I got a lot of insights into why Pixar's shorts and features stand out from most other animation houses. I am convinced a lot has to do with the pressure cooker effect that existed in the story department where a small group of ungodly talented and accomplished individuals worked very closely together, constantly learning from each other. What makes a character or a story compelling is not something you can read in a book. You _need_ to be in such an environment to to be able to create stories like Barks'. It is the combination of all the little things that you don't notice that make his work special. The "Only a Poor Old Man" story that 40YCC mentioned is a brilliant example. The story starts with a very clever sequence that builds Scrooge's character and makes the reader relate to him and his problems. This sets up a really whimsical and original storyline followed by an ingenious ending that explains Scrooge's unique fascination with money. I refuse to believe that such an understated masterpiece of a story would have been possible if it had not been for what Barks learned at Disney. I see very similar differences between Barks' work compared to other comic book artists that I see between Pixar's stories and those developed by other teams without the same background.

Surely not the shortest answer you'll get, but I think these observations are very important towards understanding why Barks is so beloved compared to other Disney artists.

Interesting. So it's not just the art, it's the stories too. Did Barks write them? Or do you mean the story telling he does through his artwork?

I know exactly what you mean about Pixar. Their shorts are incredible. What did you work on there?

Barks both wrote and drew virtually all his stories himself. "Old Castle's Secret" is somewhat different from "Only a Poor Old Man" in that the introduction sequence was much shorter. Instead, Barks used his penmanship to create the dark atmosphere in the castle through the drawings. It's a very cool way to use the comic book format to set up the mood for a story with very few words. The story itself is awesome, too. And it is unique for Disney in that death plays an important role in the plot.