• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

I was noticing the back cover of this MMM I just got in and saw that one of the books is Donald Duck. I recognize the front cover picture but I thought it was much bigger. Is that Large Feature #20 ? No pic in the Gerber book

MMM_0005.jpg

MMM_0006.jpg

I was noticing the back cover of this MMM I just got in and saw that one of the books is Donald Duck. I recognize the front cover picture but I thought it was much bigger. Is that Large Feature #20 ? No pic in the Gerber book

MMM_0006.jpg

Nope. Large Feature #20 is a Donald Duck paint book. Donald Duck walking along the sidewalk with his 3 nephews in a "dream bubble"

The book on the back cover in question is just an older linen-type story book printed by Whitman.

It is fun to see the Robinson Crusoe book. Mark Wilson has consigned a CGC 9.4 copy of that for the November Heritage auction.

I recently read a newspaper article from 1935 where Disney mentioned that one of the books from the prior year had sold 2,4 million copies. That seems to suggest that the market for children's books must have been a much bigger concern than the emerging market for comics at the time. 2,4 million is more than twice the circulation that Superman 1 reached 5 years later and almost 20 times the distribution of Action 1. I've always thought of Disney's gradual transition from children's books to comics in 1935-40 as a way to increase sales, but perhaps the fear of losing market share to other publishers may have been an even more important factor, especially after 1938 when DC's sales started growing exponentially. Just speculating....

Edited by tb

Thx for the clarification. I was noticing that Elmers outfit is not really that much different from Donalds. Cut off the legs, change the collar a bit, blue sailor hat..... presto !!

That was the first Donald Duck book but I think it is harder to find the second with a dust cover.

I've never seen the second one. Are the innards the same as the linen book? What was the date for the second book? Thanks in advance!

[...] That was the first Donald Duck book but I think it is harder to find the second with a dust cover.

2144689313_9a7d135cf6_z.jpg

Scans are mine but the linen book is chopped off because it is too large to fit on the scanner.

I got to see a gorgeous copy of the 2nd book a few years ago when I bought it for a friend through Hake's. I recall the book as in the near mint range with a VF dust cover. It's the only super high grade copy I've ever heard of. Anyway, just one of those memories that stick when you're into rare high grade books.

Btw., as far as I remember the illustrations in one book are a subset of those in the other, but they are edited and reformatted. This is a few years back so I could be wrong.

Edited by tb

That was the first Donald Duck book but I think it is harder to find the second with a dust cover.

I've never seen the second one. Are the innards the same as the linen book? What was the date for the second book? Thanks in advance!

Different books, different contents. I think the second was 2 years later, but I'm not positive.

My guess is that Huey Dewey and Louie would be tied for second third and fourth to Donald Duck.

No doubt but could you discern which nephew was in which place!

I don't think any of them ever appeared without the other two (GA and SA anyway)

I thought that too but I noticed this one tonight.

wdcs239.jpg

The second book uses all of the first book, but adds aditional art and story. I think I remember correctly that the linen-like book has 16 pages, and the second book has 32 pages, so half of it is new material.

Thanks for the info, tb! Thanks for all the nice comments everyone! Here's my favorite non-duck book from the haul because of the colors and overall beauty:

WDCS008.JPG

WDCSB008.JPG

Wow! A Clarabelle Cow cover! Cool!

(thumbs u

Interesting is that Clarabelle was initially portrayed naked with swaying udders in the cartoons:

Clarabelle.jpg

They soon covered her up though. I suppose young kids exposed to swaying udders might grow up to be, oh, stockbrokers, bankers, bakers, engineers, doctors, lawyers, plumbers, congressmen, whatever....

doh!

Haha!

Yep, I really liked that book. I'm glad it went to a boardie. On a side note, I finally got a new roof & gutters. It was long overdue and the ceiling in my comic room was leaking.

Now a heavy rain doesn't bother me anymore.

:banana:

Thanks for the info, tb! Thanks for all the nice comments everyone! Here's my favorite non-duck book from the haul because of the colors and overall beauty:

WDCS008.JPG

WDCSB008.JPG

Wow! A Clarabelle Cow cover! Cool!

(thumbs u

Interesting is that Clarabelle was initially portrayed naked with swaying udders in the cartoons:

Clarabelle.jpg

They soon covered her up though. I suppose young kids exposed to swaying udders might grow up to be, oh, stockbrokers, bankers, bakers, engineers, doctors, lawyers, plumbers, congressmen, whatever....

doh!

In the documentary "The Hand Behind the Mouse", Leslie Iwerks explains that "unpolished" jokes about farm animals were mainstream in Kansas City at the time when Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks were growing up. They, especially Iwerks, took that style with them when after they moved to California.

Btw., I was lucky enough to buy iggy's beautiful WDCS 8 above and hope it will be happy among it's new friends in my collection.

In the documentary "The Hand Behind the Mouse", Leslie Iwerks explains that "unpolished" jokes about farm animals were mainstream in Kansas City at the time when Walt Disney and Ub Iwerks were growing up. They, especially Iwerks, took that style with them when after they moved to California.

Unpolished? She looks like an urban sophisticate to me.

clarabelle_cow_by_pompomi-d49omd4.jpg

:devil:

My copy of the first volume of the Fantagraphics Barks Donald Duck library arrived today and I think it is a very handsome volume. It is about the size of a comic book and has four longer adventures, nine ten-page stories from WDCS, and several one page gags. I wish it had all been presented chronologically, but at least this will let them lead with some solid stories and hopefully Volume 1 won't mark the beginning and the end of the series. Of course I recommend it to everyone.

Rich