• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,468 posts in this topic

:applause:

Very interesting - a mystery likely never to be solved.

Could it be in some way related to the "Uncle Scrooge Value Approved" cachet?

I mean it's Uncle Scrooge approved - so we'd better stick him on the cover?

I think the only way Uncle Scrooge would have value approved a comic book is if it had been pulled out of a rubbish bin and used for free!

Here are four more of my duck comics:

19-12-2011114123PM.jpg

19-12-2011114130PM.jpg

19-12-2011114138PM.jpg

19-12-2011114144PM.jpg

:popcorn:

Daffy (Ducks) don't get much love in the duck thread but I do appreciate the colors on these. The quality of the Dell printing presses were certainly above those of other competitors. The early Harvey kids books also exhibit this level of glow to pull in the kids and suck up Mom and Dad's dimes. Those Harvey books were probably a better read than Daffy!

Just picked up this very nice Australian Disney.

G242.jpg

A (minor) curious aspect is that the cover has been redrawn from the one on WDC&S 61 with Scrooge as a replacement for Donald. The reasons for that are no doubt lost in the mists of time - maybe someone thought Scrooge would sell better, or was more credible as a teacher? The frogs are very similar to Walt kelly's originals (traced?) but the ducklings aren't. And the blackboard has had some changes made - the map of North America is gone, as well as other differences. Edit: the spelling of 'Huey' has been corrected from Walt Kelly's original 'Hughie'.

wdcs_061.jpg

The artwork on the Australian edition is indeed improved. Huey, Dewey and Louie are much better.

(thumbs u

Just picked up this very nice Australian Disney.

G242.jpg

A (minor) curious aspect is that the cover has been redrawn from the one on WDC&S 61 with Scrooge as a replacement for Donald. The reasons for that are no doubt lost in the mists of time - maybe someone thought Scrooge would sell better, or was more credible as a teacher? The frogs are very similar to Walt kelly's originals (traced?) but the ducklings aren't. And the blackboard has had some changes made - the map of North America is gone, as well as other differences. Edit: the spelling of 'Huey' has been corrected from Walt Kelly's original 'Hughie'.

wdcs_061.jpg

The artwork on the Australian edition is indeed improved. Huey, Dewey and Louie are much better.

(thumbs u

Perhaps Scrooge is considered more British since he is based on a Dickens' character? And Donald is more of a a US Navy type character.

Scrooge was more popular in Duck Tales stories twenty years ago. Donald was still hindered by his Ducky voice. Were those cartoons still on the air in Australia.

:applause:

Very interesting - a mystery likely never to be solved.

Could it be in some way related to the "Uncle Scrooge Value Approved" cachet?

I mean it's Uncle Scrooge approved - so we'd better stick him on the cover?

I think the only way Uncle Scrooge would have value approved a comic book is if it had been pulled out of a rubbish bin and used for free!

Precisely!

lol

Perhaps Scrooge is considered more British since he is based on a Dickens' character? And Donald is more of a a US Navy type character.

Scrooge was more popular in Duck Tales stories twenty years ago. Donald was still hindered by his Ducky voice. Were those cartoons still on the air in Australia.

hm Maybe. As a kid I was completely oblivious to the Dickens' character and came to know it via various "A Christmas Carol" adaptations - and that is where I made the "Unca Scrooge" connection. That's not to say an adult editor may not have made the connection and the cover adjustment.

I never considered Donald US Navy - he's a duck in sailor suit.

This reprint is from 1962 - decades before the "Duck Tales" series, which was screened here. Donald's always been difficult to understand, but at times US's faux Scots accent was also a puzzle.

Why did "Duck Tales" focus on Scrooge? Like Barks, the producers realised that stories where Scrooge is involved drive the narrative. Rather than endless "Donald and the Kids" squabbles, Scrooge adventures were loftier, "grail" based yarns.

Anyway, that's my 10c

Only 30 years away from that book being 100 years old. I looked through my collection of Walt Disney Comics and Stories today.from the fifties to seventies. It was interesting in how battered most of the issues were that I had picked up used as a kid. These were well loved and cherised books read by many. A far cry from the issues I try to buy today.

I will try to post some of the early comics and stories I collected tomorrow.

Happy New Year fellow Duck Fans!

Beautiful copy. Heritage sold my duplicate for $4,400 a few years ago and it didn't look much better than yours (it was a double cover)- I couldn't believe it when I saw the result.

---

Unrelated, I have a little bit of a dilemma. Someone I know offered me the Lost Valley copy of another GA Disney book. It is a CGC 9.6 and he is looking to sell it to upgrade to a CGC 9.8. Images show no visible differences between the two. My own feeling is that a Lost Valley 9.6 is at least as attractive as a generic 9.8 and that he should keep that instead. Any general thoughts without getting into more details about the specific book?

Beautiful copy. Heritage sold my duplicate for $4,400 a few years ago and it didn't look much better than yours (it was a double cover)- I couldn't believe it when I saw the result.

---

Unrelated, I have a little bit of a dilemma. Someone I know offered me the Lost Valley copy of another GA Disney book. It is a CGC 9.6 and he is looking to sell it to upgrade to a CGC 9.8. Images show no visible differences between the two. My own feeling is that a Lost Valley 9.6 is at least as attractive as a generic 9.8 and that he should keep that instead. Any general thoughts without getting into more details about the specific book?

hm

I'd keep the LV...

---

At that point, it feels like you are chasing moonbeams. Pretty expensive proposition anyway you look at it for little gain.

Here are some books from my earliest days of collecting Comics and Stories. These were both purchased at my first Seuling New York Convention in 1972. Lots of great memories are associated with these books; my first comic convention, the thrill of finding these early WDC&S in what seemed at the time great condition and their relative affordability to me of $1. each. I believe my show budget was $5!! Hey, I was only 11; I was just happy to be there.

I didn't get to read the books until the next morning but I remember getting up and being amazed at the contents and depth of material. The cover on #127 remains a favorite to this day. Issue #119 didn't have any staples but you can see where there must have been a bindery defect and was stapled mid-cover.

I bought these books from the Sassaman Brothers out of Pennsylvania. Gary Sassaman later became the media director at SDCC but I haven't seen his name on the roster lately. He also did a fun fanzine called Innocent Bystander and I see he has a blog now but I don't follow that.

Both of these books will be in that last pile of books that I ever part with, the memories are too great!

119733.jpg.2e5415903dc16b681bf768334224aa9b.jpg

119734.jpg.274e3be2b95f4c4634326555314ba9e8.jpg

Then shades of things to come. It is probably about 1977 or 1978, Phil Seuling's annual New York Convention has shifted to Philadelphia for some reason. I am still collecting Disney comics but I am starting to appreciate higher grade books and have been trying to purchase nicer books. The first file copies are starting to dribble out of the Poughkeepsie offices of Western and their untouched condition is a treat to the eye. I pick up the issue below for about $20. and it remains one of my nicest WDCS from this era to this day.

By the way at one of those Philadelphia shows an original owner came out of the woodwork and sold an amazing collection to Steve Geppi, who was exhibitiing. He had a Detective 27 on sale by the afternoon of that show!

119735.jpg.ca93641ab471b3084c0f3bcf2f42c445.jpg

Then shades of things to come. It is probably about 1977 or 1978, Phil Seuling's annual New York Convention has shifted to Philadelphia for some reason. I am still collecting Disney comics but I am starting to appreciate higher grade books and have been trying to purchase nicer books. The first file copies are starting to dribble out of the Poughkeepsie offices of Western and their untouched condition is a treat to the eye. I pick up the issue below for about $20. and it remains one of my nicest WDCS from this era to this day.

By the way at one of those Philadelphia shows an original owner came out of the woodwork and sold an amazing collection to Steve Geppi, who was exhibitiing. He had a Detective 27 on sale by the afternoon of that show!

Great books and the stories behind them. Probably my favorite part of this forum are the collector stories like this, Moondog's, etc...

Great books and the stories behind them. Probably my favorite part of this forum are the collector stories like this, Moondog's, etc...

-//-. And what a fantastic file copy!

I was just reading an amazing article in an early 1980s Carl Barks Collector related to the Poughkeepsie file copies. John Nichols flew to Canada to pick up a large set of high grade Duck Four Colors, WDC&S, giveaways etc, brought them back to Virginia, and then flew out to deliver them to the buyer in California. The article had photos of some of the books with both the seller (who incidentally also had a number of Barks paintings for sale) and the buyer. I used to buy a lot of books from John back in the early 1990s and always found him to be a very reliable grader. When he described the books as "mint", I can only think that they must have been very close to that.

Thanks, when you get down to it this hobby for me is all about remembering the joy of discovery that these books first brought to me. The associated experiences and stories is what made it all come alive.

-//-. And what a fantastic file copy!

I was just reading an amazing article in an early 1980s Carl Barks Collector related to the Poughkeepsie file copies. John Nichols flew to Canada to pick up a large set of high grade Duck Four Colors, WDC&S, giveaways etc, brought them back to Virginia, and then flew out to deliver them to the buyer in California. The article had photos of some of the books with both the seller (who incidentally also had a number of Barks paintings for sale) and the buyer. I used to buy a lot of books from John back in the early 1990s and always found him to be a very reliable grader. When he described the books as "mint", I can only think that they must have been very close to that.

I used to subscribe to that magazine but that was when I was in college so the time I had to devote the hobby was pretty limited and cash was in short supply too. I don't recall that story but sure would have enjoyed reading it.

Wow, that's a very big price. Mine cost $67 on ebay...

---

At the risk of sounding trite, he should opt for the book that gives him the most pleasure to own. I'd be inclined towards your view because of the provenence cachet that goes with pedigrees, but really 9.6/9.8... who cares?