• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,448 posts in this topic

The Dell Giant # 53 is simply hail.gifhail.gif

DellGiant38.jpg

In the book above, I simply find it odd that DD is reading the Investment News. Shouldn't he be seen reading comics or a pulp magazine, à Nick (a.k.a. The Thin Man) seen reading Nick Carter Detective in The Thin Man Goes Home?

Great books - thanks for posting them!

In the book above, I simply find it odd that DD is reading the Investment News. Shouldn't he be seen reading comics or a pulp magazine, à Nick (a.k.a. The Thin Man) seen reading Nick Carter Detective in The Thin Man Goes Home?

In Carl Barks' original layout for this cover, Donald is actually reading a comic book. There are several other changes that completely ruin the gag. Wish I could post a scan of the article from the new "Collected Works of Carl Barks" but it wouldn't be ethical for copyright reasons.

Great books - thanks for posting them!

In Carl Barks' original layout for this cover, Donald is actually reading a comic book. There are several other changes that completely ruin the gag. Wish I could post a scan of the article from the new "Collected Works of Carl Barks" but it wouldn't be ethical for copyright reasons.

Thank tb. I'm glad I wasn't crazy. Without scanning the article, could you point out what other elements might have been altered? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

- Daisy is reading a beauty magazine

- Donald is reading the sports section

- Nephews are reading an issue of "Walt Disney's Comics"

- Grandma is reading a cook book

- Scrooge is reading a $100 bill (and has no money in his pockets)

- Daisy is reading a beauty magazine

- Donald is reading the sports section

- Nephews are reading an issue of "Walt Disney's Comics"

- Grandma is reading a cook book

- Scrooge is reading a $100 bill (and has no money in his pockets)

Thanks. Grandma and the cook book would have been spot-on. I don't mind the change to be writing in her diary for Daisy. Not having the kids reading is also a mistake as it rends the theme of the cover. Very interesting. 893applaud-thumb.gif

So if HDL are reading a comic, what is Duey looking at? Or is he redrawn?

The nephews were redrawn.

The "Collected Works" also shows Barks' concept for the cover of Dell Giant 39 (which steelcity posted). Again, the gag, which relied on Donald's subtle mischievous expression, is ruined in the published version.

---

NR: Congrats on getting the CBL in Color! The early Scrooge issues have some of Barks' very best stories.

Hey Ian, thanks for posting such great books! I didn't know you had such nice Duck books.

While the HG Duck FCs, early WDC&Ss and early Uncle Scrooges are going for insane prices these days, the WDC&Ss and some of the Dell Giants from the mid-1950s on are still extremely undervalued.

Hey Ian, thanks for posting such great books! I didn't know you had such nice Duck books.

While the HG Duck FCs, early WDC&Ss and early Uncle Scrooges are going for insane prices these days, the WDC&Ss and some of the Dell Giants from the mid-1950s on are still extremely undervalued.

Without all the various sources of file copies, many of these titles would be so sparce in high grade, partly due to the original very young readership and possible rough handling of the books. Thankfully, we can still see many in their original glory!

Don't think I have ever posted covers in this thread, so here are some:

DellGiant53.jpg

I love the Dell Giants with the Ducks! The colors and gloss on these are amazing -- definitely superior to the printing done for DC/Atlas in this time period.

Just in from CGC. I was pretty happy with this...

scrooge1.jpg

Hokey Smokes! hail.gif

Just love the subtle humor of this Halloween cover; playing through events leading up to the comical outcome!

WDCS38a.jpg

Wow! That is an incredibly nice copy for such an early WDC&S. 893applaud-thumb.gif