• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

On the subject, I wanted to post these scans for Arty since the "Collected Works" is not published in Finland. They show Barks signing 3 originals for Donald Ault around 1970. The WDC&S cover (1948) is the one I purchased from Heritage last Summer. The photos shows the original pen and ink before Bruce Hamilton had Barks add the colors in 1995 (bottom). I'd be impressed if anyone here can name the other two originals...

Cool pics! Thanks. thumbsup2.gif

Btw it took awhile but we did get our own "Collected Works" afterall. Box set #2 just came out 893applaud-thumb.gif

About 2100 sets were ordered here.

Congrats, Arty - that's wonderful news!

Btw., I just saw a piece on YouTube on the money bin painting for sale at Bonham & Butterfields (estimate: $150-200,000). Just do a search for "Carl Barks" to see it.

This may be sacrilege, but I'm not a fan of Barks' paintings. I find many of them to be kitsch, and skill-wise I think he was a mediocre painter at best. His genius was his ablity to tell wonderful, enthralling illustrated stories. I'm a much bigger fan of his line drawing style than his painting style.

I fully agree, tth2. To me, Barks' inked Duck pages are far more attractive than his oil paintings. I saw many of the paintings when they were on exhibit back in the mid-90s and frankly I thought most of them were not that good. Honestly, I'd rather have that US 62 page hanging on my wall than the money bin painting. The one good thing about the paintings is that Barks managed to make some money off them in his later years.

This may be sacrilege, but I'm not a fan of Barks' paintings. I find many of them to be kitsch, and skill-wise I think he was a mediocre painter at best. His genius was his ablity to tell wonderful, enthralling illustrated stories. I'm a much bigger fan of his line drawing style than his painting style.

I'm a big fan of Barks paintings. While I would admit quite a few of his later paintings have left me feeling he had lost his skills, some of his early paintings are quite impressive. His subtle use of colors is the complete antithesis of what you would expect in a career comic book artist.

Just my opinion. yeahok.gif

Was playing with my camera and thought I'd try an experiment... Can anyone see this (4Mb) AVI? Soundtrack from "Ocean's 12" playing on the TV in the background (don't know how to mute).

I doubt it is safe to download movies like this in general. For now, I'd only do it if you trust the person who posted the link.

Duck test movie

Btw., I just saw a piece on YouTube on the money bin painting for sale at Bonham & Butterfields (estimate: $150-200,000). Just do a search for "Carl Barks" to see it.

Here it is.

I've been reading the Barks interview in Overstreet #7 and they have several of painting reproduced there. The only one I really liked is the one they are talking about in the video "Hands of My Playthings."

ar25.jpg

And here is another part of the interview.

Here it is.

I've been reading the Barks interview in Overstreet #7 and they have several of painting reproduced there. The only one I really liked is the one they are talking about in the video "Hands of My Playthings."

ar25.jpg

And here is another part of the interview.

Jerry Weist mentioning that he didn't end up buying a Barks painting because they were "kitchsy". As much as I love Barks and his comic art, I've thought the paintings were the equivalent of the Velvet Elvis paintings.

Jerry Weist mentioning that he didn't end up buying a Barks painting because they were "kitchsy". As much as I love Barks and his comic art, I've thought the paintings were the equivalent of the Velvet Elvis paintings.

By definition, kitschy means pretentious bad taste. And using that as my guide, I don't find a painting done by a comic artist, of a subject that he drew during his career, as being bad taste.

If Barks started painting religious subjects, that might be a different story. confused-smiley-013.gif

By definition, kitschy means pretentious bad taste. And using that as my guide, I don't find a painting done by a comic artist, of a subject that he drew during his career, as being bad taste.

If Barks started painting religious subjects, that might be a different story. confused-smiley-013.gif

There's more variety to the definition of kitsch than just "bad taste" and knowing Jerry I don't think he's using it strictly in that sense. I would suggest it's more in the sense of it being cute in a way that's overdone without the enduring quality of the stories.

kitsch definition

Edited by adamstrange

I think anyone who had the opportunity to buy one of the paintings when they were inexpensive, just enjoyed them as an extra decorative element in their comic room. They've taken on a bit more baggage since their value exploded. Originally they only cost $150 and for a Barks collector, were simply a fun addition to their collection.

I think anyone who had the opportunity to buy one of the paintings when they were inexpensive, just enjoyed them as an extra decorative element in their comic room. They've taken on a bit more baggage since their value exploded. Originally they only cost $150 and for a Barks collector were simply a fun addition to their collection.

Since I was not around back then, I am probably biased against the paintings because of all the speculation. I just read a letter from Barks to a fan stating that the "upcoming" paintings would be very nice quality and cost at least $25 each. In that context, you certainly got your money's worth! When someone is asking over $100,000 for the more mediocre paintings, however, I get a bad taste in my mouth. As in: "either they are deluded or they think I must be an *spoon*". Artistically, some of the earlier paintings are indeed very nice.

I have bought the early inked pages, most for over current FMV, because they are the most unbelievably exciting collectibles I have ever come across. They have the combination of historical importance, extreme rarity and superb quality that collecting is all about for me. This is entirely a matter of taste, of course, but to me personally they are more interesting and valuable than the oils. I decided to collect this overlooked area because I just fell in love with the artwork spontaneously without anyone telling me how good and valuable it was.

After Barks started selling his paintings for huge sums (or at least what was considered a lot of money in the 70's), I wrote to him and asked if I could commission him to do a pen and ink drawing for me. By return mail I received a finished drawing picturing Barks, seated at an easel, painting Donald and the boys. Behind Barks, is an angry Uncle Scrooge kicking him in the rear. The caption reads: "Tell [my name] you grew tired of doing pen and ink drawings, and besides, have no permission to do such drawings for pay!" Barks responds with a shaky, "YES SIR!"

After Barks started selling his paintings for huge sums (or at least what was considered a lot of money in the 70's), I wrote to him and asked if I could commission him to do a pen and ink drawing for me. By return mail I received a finished drawing picturing Barks, seated at an easel, painting Donald and the boys. Behind Barks, is an angry Uncle Scrooge kicking him in the rear. The caption reads: "Tell [my name] you grew tired of doing pen and ink drawings, and besides, have no permission to do such drawings for pay!" Barks responds with a shaky, "YES SIR!"

Awesome!!!! Can't wait for a pic!!! popcorn.gif

I'm a big fan of Barks paintings. While I would admit quite a few of his later paintings have left me feeling he had lost his skills, some of his early paintings are quite impressive. His subtle use of colors is the complete antithesis of what you would expect in a career comic book artist.

Just my opinion. yeahok.gif

That's cool! If we all had the same tastes, what a boring world it would be! thumbsup2.gif

Awesome!!!! Can't wait for a pic!!! popcorn.gif

popcorn.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

oh my...first your amazing GA collection and now this...

I hate you tongue.gif

you better post some scans soon or I'll hate you even more... grin.gif

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif...best story ever!!!!