• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,468 posts in this topic

My favorite Christmas decoration...

IMG_1685a.jpg

And, just for a change, a beautiful comic from tb's collection!!!

Merry Christmas from me too. (Any excuse to post these four again this year):

cp_1.jpg

pogo11.jpg

wdcs_076.jpg

wdcs_039_ebay.jpg

Andrew, that's a four pack of plain old awesomeness right there!!

I need to start picking up some Pogos again, they are just as great as the Disney books but don't get half the attention. I started reading his collected newspaper strip stories in high school. While everyone credits Will Eisner with getting the Graphic Novel market going you might make an argument for those fifties - sixties collections of Pogo.

While housed in a funny animal format the themes behind the stories rivaled that of later "relevant" strips like Doonesbury. As an example pick up a copy of the "Jack Acid Society" for some biting satire and a rollicking take on some of the excesses of witch hunters like McCarthy and the John Birchers.

A Merry Funny Animal Christmas to my fellow Duck fans!

IMG_1685a.jpg

I like how they changed the name to include "in a" between "mouse" and "magazine" on this issue. I wondered if it was marketed in department stores for the holidays instead of just newstands. It almost looks that way.

Actually, TB do you have any idea if the MMM series was primarily newstand distribution or subscription?

AJD: Those reindeer covers would make for a great group shot.

40: The earlier MMMs do not feature prominent ads for subscriptions which I guess makes sense since no one was familiar with the product. Letters between Roy and Walt Disney, Kay Kamen, and Hal Horne from 1935 focus on distribution issues getting the magazines delivered to newsstands and sold in department stores. Subscription ads would become more prevalent later in the run. The photos from V1#10 are characteristic: the subscription ad takes just a corner on page 32, but the whole interior back cover is an offer to buy back issues. Since Horne was too optimistic in his orders for the first few magazines (only roughly 40% actually sold), it would understandable if he was more focused on getting rid of the overstock than getting new subscribers around this time.

In a letter from December 1935, Horne wrote to Roy Disney:"to date, it has cost me a terrific amount of heartaches and exactly $50,000, all of which seems such a crime when you consider that the magazine has been loved by those who have read it". Reading this today, knowing that the first 5 issues of Mickey Mouse Magazine had exceptionally high production quality, I think you can't help but respect the courage of people like Horne who blasted the path for later comics with their visionary ideas - at considerable financial risk.

119229.jpg.a08d3612b37a5cf7228aad017c6740db.jpg

119230.jpg.535d5c4a0bc152cfabaf2fee3fa81751.jpg

Beautiful book (and look at the great PQ!) - just amazing, where do you find these treasures?

Probably a lot easier than you've found most of yours; just bought this book off eBay in '99. Nice to hear that you can branch out and appreciate some of these although it's not genre, btw.

The down side is that I may have hit the wall in terms of upgrading my Mickey Mouse Magazines further. Inspired by moondog's old ashcan ads, I was seriously considering a page in Overstreet next year just for this purpose. But securing the copyrights from Disney sounds like an ordeal...

Beautiful book (and look at the great PQ!) - just amazing, where do you find these treasures?

Probably a lot easier than you've found most of yours; just bought this book off eBay in '99. Nice to hear that you can branch out and appreciate some of these although it's not genre, btw.

The down side is that I may have hit the wall in terms of upgrading my Mickey Mouse Magazines further. Inspired by moondog's old ashcan ads, I was seriously considering a page in Overstreet next year just for this purpose. But securing the copyrights from Disney sounds like an ordeal...

I don't think you would need a copyright if you printed an old magazine cover would you? I would think that reprinting an old magazine cover might be covered by fair use but I'm no lawyer. The auction houses reprint these for sale all the time and don't get permission as far as I know.

Just picked up this very nice Australian Disney.

G242.jpg

A (minor) curious aspect is that the cover has been redrawn from the one on WDC&S 61 with Scrooge as a replacement for Donald. The reasons for that are no doubt lost in the mists of time - maybe someone thought Scrooge would sell better, or was more credible as a teacher? The frogs are very similar to Walt kelly's originals (traced?) but the ducklings aren't. And the blackboard has had some changes made - the map of North America is gone, as well as other differences. Edit: the spelling of 'Huey' has been corrected from Walt Kelly's original 'Hughie'.

wdcs_061.jpg