• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,442 posts in this topic

I believe you'd be better off waiting. While ducks in high grade bring a premium, ducks in mid grades probably (certainly ?) will sell under guide. I have most of the ducks so I am no longer buying any so others could chime him as well.

Under guide is my experience. $500 is well above GPA for a FC 386 in 5.0.

Heritage sold a CGC 5.0 FC 386 for $310.70 in March 2011 and raw 5.0 for $262.90 in June 2012. You should find plenty of mid-grade FC 386 under guide. Be patient.

FWIW, there's a 5.0 in the currently closing ComicLink July auction -

FC 386 in CGC 5.0

It's currently sitting at $206.

Since tb mentioned the 'over 100' issues, I thought I'd post these - just for fun. A fun cover by Kelly and a classic Barks:

wdcs106.jpg

wdcs108.jpg

I hadn't looked at these for a while, so thanks for the prompt tb.

'IH paqmey!!

+1 (I think)

Barks' penmanship is just unreal sometimes. I have the original art for a couple of his WDC&S covers and the perfection of his lines really do make an impression when you hold the art in your hands. It's impossible to communicate the impact through a photo or a scan. I have never experienced the original art to a strong Kelly WDC&S cover myself, but it's on my bucket list. Just like high grade comics, original art should really be seen in person. At least in the case of Barks, I've come to admire comics like the one above even more after getting acquainted with the originals.

I am on the road and forget the exact number, but if you took the run to about 112 of so, you would also complete the MM serial about the House of the Seven Ghosts, a popular Gottfredson classic. Years ago, that was where I drew the line for my own collection until time passed and I got them all.

I am on the road and forget the exact number, but if you took the run to about 112 of so, you would also complete the MM serial about the House of the Seven Ghosts, a popular Gottfredson classic. Years ago, that was where I drew the line for my own collection until time passed and I got them all my OCD compelled me to get the rest.

It's OK. I understand. lol

I think the WDCS up to around 120 or so are quite nice, then there is an odd period in the mid fifties where the covers seem off or something. I find some charm returning in the late fifties early sixties although the books shrink and then things got really weird as they transition to Gold Key.

I picked up a collection of Scrooge / DD / WDCS from 1960-1963 or so as a kid so it had all the transition issues. The first few Gold Key issues are really funky with square word balloons and panels, some kind of editorial dictate. The covers also featured vignettes of each story, I guess showing you got a lot for your 12 or 15 cents. Pricing bounced up and down too. Interesting times. Things calmed down in the late sixties.

The early seventies Gold Keys returned to a nicer look because they started to reprint both covers and Barks stories. They have a certain charm although the print quality does not seem to match the forties issues.

As a kid I really thought the Gold Key line was something special. My brother collected Turoks and I loved the Disney books and the movie adaptations. Our discovery of the earlier Dell issues of these titles at garage sales and flea markets was fascinating. Pre-read Turoks seemed to be all over for a nickel apiece and those were great books. I'm sure I passed over a fortune in early Marvels to buy these little gems but I sure loved them.

I am on the road and forget the exact number, but if you took the run to about 112 of so, you would also complete the MM serial about the House of the Seven Ghosts, a popular Gottfredson classic. Years ago, that was where I drew the line for my own collection until time passed and I got them all.

Story is titled "House of the Seven Haunts" and by Moores, who also did Gasoline Alley. Many of the classics were redrawn but the dialogue was the same, such as the Robin Hood story in WDCS 10 and Silly Symphonies. Story ended with 111. I usually stop collecting WDCS when there are no Barks' stories. A later issue with the ducks in midget race cars was one of my favorite stories.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

Picked these up from Metro at SDCC. I asked Frank about the FC199 on Thursday, so he had the book sent by FedEx overnight and I was able to pick up the book on Friday.

FC189199.jpg

Congratulations, BitterOldMan. I'd love to see more of your collection.

Here's another nice copy of the 199 - looks like it's been 7 years since I posted this:

fc199_jkn.jpg

Edited by tb

Those are such good stories!! :applause:

Picked these up from Metro at SDCC. I asked Frank about the FC199 on Thursday, so he had the book sent by FedEx overnight and I was able to pick up the book on Friday.

FC189199.jpg

'IH paqmey!!

+1 (I think)

Barks' penmanship is just unreal sometimes. I have the original art for a couple of his WDC&S covers and the perfection of his lines really do make an impression when you hold the art in your hands. It's impossible to communicate the impact through a photo or a scan. I have never experienced the original art to a strong Kelly WDC&S cover myself, but it's on my bucket list. Just like high grade comics, original art should really be seen in person. At least in the case of Barks, I've come to admire comics like the one above even more after getting acquainted with the originals.

It was a treat to see some of your pieces in person back in Feb, tempered only by a slight disappointment that so little of the art from Barks' prime has survived.

It was a treat to see some of your pieces in person back in Feb, tempered only by a slight disappointment that so little of the art from Barks' prime has survived.

When folks like you, moondog, and Yellow Kid are willing to travel out in the middle of the desert to see my books, it feels like it hasn't been a complete waste of time. And getting an intensive 3 1/2 day course from you was pretty amazing(!).

tb,

It was a pleasure to visit you and see your collection. Never before has the the phrase, "Quality over quantity," held greater meaning for me than while we were looking at your incredible books and original art. Finishing the evening with dinner at the Red Rock was very nice, as well.

When folks like you, moondog, and Yellow Kid are willing to travel out in the middle of the desert to see my books, it feels like it hasn't been a complete waste of time. And getting an intensive 3 1/2 day course from you was pretty amazing(!).

(thumbs u

I’m wondering if there’s still some surviving Mickey Mouse fans in the States, it looks you’re all over the ducks… lol

The Gottfredson reprints are nice but limited in audience and other than the game Epic Mickey there has been no compelling reason for folks to connect with Mickey in a long time. He really became a corporate icon in the seventies / eighties and the Disney machine has kept him that way. There have been some surprising marketing moves to make him more relevant lately but he remains more of an Icon than a character to discuss and celebrate.