• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Wars, the 1st comic book appearances...
3 3

35 posts in this topic

With the 40th anniversary of Star Wars coming up and all the new movies, isn't it about time for CGC to put important issue information on the labels? :insane:

NOTES:

1) Yes, these characters do "appear" in the novelizations of the movies.

2) Yes, some of these characters also appear in other size graphic formats (magazines, treasuries).

3) Given #1 and #2, CGC has established that comic book sized issues can get notations such as "1st comic book appearance of Rocket Raccoon" (Incredible Hulk #271).

4) CGC uses "death" in quotes.

Star Wars (comic book) first appearances (and events) worth mentioning on the CGC label

Star Wars #1 (1977) - 1st comic book appearance of Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Princess Leia, R2D2, C3PO, Stormtroopers.

(cover only for Obi Wan Kenobi and Han Solo)

Star Wars #2 (1977) - 1st comic book appearance of Obi Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Millenium Falcon, Death Star.

(old design 1st comic book appearance of Jabba the Hutt)

Star Wars #3 (1977) - Destruction of Alderaan.

Star Wars #4 (1977) - "Death" of Obi Wan Kenobi. Luke and Han meet Leia.

Star Wars #6 (1977) - Destruction of the Death Star.

Star Wars #41 (1980) - 1st comic book appearance of Yoda (in shadows). Article by Archie Goodwin illustrates Yoda design.

Star Wars #42 (1980) - 1st comic book appearance of Boba Fett. Yoda trains Luke on Dagobah. Emperor Palpatine speaks as hologram.

(also 4-LOM, Bossk, Dengar, IG-88B, and the Slave 1 ship, but that's a lot for a CGC label)

Star Wars #43 (1980) - 1st comic book appearance of Lando Calrissian. Han Solo encased in carbonite (not shown).

Star Wars #44 (1980) - Luke battles Darth Vader. Classic "I am your father" dialogue. Han Solo in carbonite is shown.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi #1 (1983) - 1st comic book appearance of Jabba the Hutt (movie design), "Slave" Leia, the second Death Star.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi #2 (1983) - 1st comic book appearance of Emperor Palpatine. "Death" of Jabba the Hutt. Boba Fett falls into Sarlacc.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi #3 (1983) - 1st comic book appearance of Admiral Ackbar, Ewoks.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi #4 (1984) - "Death" of Darth Vader, "Death" of Emperor Palpatine. Destruction of the second Death Star.

There are other 1st comic book appearances that are not necessarily unimportant, but they occur within books that have more important appearances/events and there is only so much room on the CGC label. For example, Star Wars #1 is also the 1st comic book appearance of Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, Jawas, and the Tusken Raiders (Sandpeople). Star Wars #2 is also the "death" of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru and the 1st comic book appearance and "death" of Greedo, with "Han shot first" classic storyline.

Edited by valiantman

With the 40th anniversary of Star Wars coming up and all the new movies, isn't it about time for CGC to put important issue information on the labels? :insane:

NOTES:

1) Yes, these characters do "appear" in the novelizations of the movies.

2) Yes, some of these characters also appear in other size graphic formats (magazines, treasuries).

3) Given #1 and #2, CGC has established that comic book sized issues can get notations such as "1st comic book appearance of Rocket Raccoon" (Incredible Hulk #271).

4) CGC uses "death" in quotes.

Star Wars (comic book) first appearances (and events) worth mentioning on the CGC label

Star Wars #1 (1977) - 1st comic book appearance of Luke Skywalker, Darth Vader, Princess Leia, R2D2, C3PO, Stormtroopers.

(cover only for Obi Wan Kenobi and Han Solo)

Star Wars #2 (1977) - 1st comic book appearance of Obi Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Millenium Falcon.

Star Wars #3 (1977) - 1st comic book appearance of the Death Star (since #1 cover). Destruction of Alderaan.

Are you ignoring the appearance of the Death Star in Star Wars #2?

These seem insignificant but maybe that is just me.

Star Wars #41 (1980) - 1st comic book appearance of Yoda (in shadows). Article by Archie Goodwin illustrates Yoda design.

Star Wars #42 (1980) - 1st comic book appearance of Boba Fett. Yoda trains Luke on Dagobah. Emperor Palpatine speaks as hologram.

(also 4-LOM, Bossk, Dengar, IG-88B, and the Slave 1 ship, but that's a lot for a CGC label)

Star Wars #43 (1980) - 1st comic book appearance of Lando Calrissian. Han Solo encased in carbonite (not shown).

Star Wars #44 (1980) - Luke battles Darth Vader. Classic "I am your father" dialogue. Han Solo in carbonite is shown.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi #1 (1983) - 1st comic book appearance of Jabba the Hutt (movie design), "Slave" Leia, the second Death Star.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi #2 (1983) - 1st comic book appearance of Emperor Palpatine. "Death" of Jabba the Hutt. Boba Fett falls into Sarlacc.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi #3 (1983) - 1st comic book appearance of Admiral Ackbar, Ewoks.

Star Wars: Return of the Jedi #4 (1984) - "Death" of Darth Vader, "Death" of Emperor Palpatine. Destruction of the second Death Star.

There are other 1st comic book appearances that are not necessarily unimportant, but they occur within books that have more important appearances/events and there is only so much room on the CGC label. For example, Star Wars #1 is also the 1st comic book appearance of Uncle Owen, Aunt Beru, Jawas, and the Tusken Raiders (Sandpeople). Star Wars #2 is also the "death" of Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru and the 1st comic book appearance and "death" of Greedo, with "Han shot first" classic storyline.

Maybe it is me, but retelling the story that everyone already knows on the CGC label is strange. Noting first appearances of major characters makes sense, but Stormtroopers, Admiral Ackbar, Ewoks, etc. does not make sense. I don't see anyone chasing down copies of these comics to get the 1st appearance of the Millennium Falcon, for example.

Doesn't CGC usually put notes on the case when a comic breaks out for a particular reason? Isn't this more of a "let's put notes on the cases so we can help make these comics more important?" I'm as big of a fan of Star Wars as the next person, I just don't understand the need for many of these labels.

To me, the only label you need is "Star Wars movie adaptation part 1, 2, 3, ...", "The Empire Strikes Back movie adaptation part 1, 2, 3, ...", etc. and major 1st appearances. The rest of this is superfluous to why these comics sell.

Also, it is about time CGC provided cases for paperbacks and trade paperbacks. The 1st appearance of Yoda, Boba Fett, and Lando is not in the pamphlet. Just like the 1st appearance of Dr. Spektor is not in a pamphlet. And Darth Maul's 1st appearance is in the trade paperback.

And while we are on the subject, the Return of the Jedi comics came out after the paperback and magazine. I remember holding Marvel Super Special #27 while watching ROTJ in the theater.

Edited by rjrjr

They are insignificant, next to the power of the Force.

I used that word on purpose. And I had my suspicions you would be the person to pick up on it first. ;)

Star Wars #2 (1977) - 1st comic book appearance of Obi Wan Kenobi, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Millenium Falcon.

Star Wars #3 (1977) - 1st comic book appearance of the Death Star (since #1 cover). Destruction of Alderaan.

Good catch... not sure how I missed that one, must have read #2 too quickly. First post has been edited.

Maybe it is me, but retelling the story that everyone already knows on the CGC label is strange. Noting first appearances of major characters makes sense, but Stormtroopers, Admiral Ackbar, Ewoks, etc. does not make sense. I don't see anyone chasing down copies of these comics to get the 1st appearance of the Millennium Falcon, for example.

CGC labels have ridiculously insignificant details for many comics. These are at least events that millions of people know.

"retelling the story that everyone already knows" doesn't mean leave it off the label. When did Han meet Leia? It's not Star Wars #1. Millions of people know both characters, know they fall in love, and both are in the upcoming movie. The first meeting seems worth stating on the comic where it happened. Fantastic Four #12 is known for a first meeting, it's on the CGC label, and there aren't even 4 movies about it.

The CGC label for Star Wars #49 already says: "Death" of Jedidiah... whoever that was.

...but Star Wars #4 doesn't say "Death" of Obi Wan Kenobi.

Doesn't CGC usually put notes on the case when a comic breaks out for a particular reason? Isn't this more of a "let's put notes on the cases so we can help make these comics more important?" I'm as big of a fan of Star Wars as the next person, I just don't understand the need for many of these labels.

To me, the only label you need is "Star Wars movie adaptation part 1, 2, 3, ...", "The Empire Strikes Back movie adaptation part 1, 2, 3, ...", etc. and major 1st appearances. The rest of this is superfluous to why these comics sell.

Agreed, it might be superfluous... but CGC has some ridiculously superfluous notations as it is... for things that really don't matter to anyone. The CGC label for Marvel Tales #223 says "Spider-Ham backup story". Are you telling me that is more important than the Destruction of the Death Star?

Also, it is about time CGC provided cases for paperbacks and trade paperbacks. The 1st appearance of Yoda, Boba Fett, and Lando is not in the pamphlet. Just like the 1st appearance of Dr. Spektor is not in a pamphlet. And Darth Maul's 1st appearance is in the trade paperback.

And while we are on the subject, the Return of the Jedi comics came out after the paperback and magazine. I remember holding Marvel Super Special #27 while watching ROTJ in the theater.

Again, I agree that paperbacks and magazines are important, but the standard comic book is a medium that's essentially unchanged for 50+ years. These are the "1st comic book appearances" because they are the 1st comic book appearances... and all those other things aren't.

The idea that there is a degree of insignificance is reasonable but then again I would like to see some consistency. For example, GI Joe 1 simply says, "Based on the Hasbro Toy Line". However, issue #21 states that it is the first appearance of Storm Shadow. There are plenty of issues in the Joe run note other first appearances. I would like to see GI Joe 1 at least remark that it is the first appearance of Snake Eyes at the minimum.

Star Wars should have some similar notes.

Good catch... not sure how I missed that one, must have read #2 too quickly. First post has been edited.

CGC labels have ridiculously insignificant details for many comics. These are at least events that millions of people know.

"retelling the story that everyone already knows" doesn't mean leave it off the label. When did Han meet Leia? It's not Star Wars #1. Millions of people know both characters, know they fall in love, and both are in the upcoming movie. The first meeting seems worth stating on the comic where it happened. Fantastic Four #12 is known for a first meeting, it's on the CGC label, and there aren't even 4 movies about it.

I think the difference is people do seek out Fantastic Four #12 because of the meeting. I have yet to meet someone who is looking for the first meeting of Han and Leia. But, I do know a lot of collectors who want the first 6 issues of the Star Wars title because they adapt the movie.

Seems to me adding these things to the label are there just so someone can claim the comic is a key, which should already be the case because it is part of the movie adaptation.

The CGC label for Star Wars #49 already says: "Death" of Jedidiah... whoever that was.

...but Star Wars #4 doesn't say "Death" of Obi Wan Kenobi.

While I know who Jedidiah is, I'm not sure that should be on the label. If collectors are seeking the death of Obi-Wan Kenobi, it should be on the label. If not, it shouldn't be. My guess, nobody is looking for the death of Obi-Wan Kenobi issue.

Agreed, it might be superfluous... but CGC has some ridiculously superfluous notations as it is... for things that really don't matter to anyone. The CGC label for Marvel Tales #223 says "Spider-Ham backup story". Are you telling me that is more important than the Destruction of the Death Star?

No, unless people are buying the comic because of Spider-Ham. I don't know anyone buying Star Wars #6 because of the destruction of the Death Star. Most collectors buy it because it is the final chapter in the movie adaptation.

Again, I agree that paperbacks and magazines are important, but the standard comic book is a medium that's essentially unchanged for 50+ years. These are the "1st comic book appearances" because they are the 1st comic book appearances... and all those other things aren't.

I don't understand this mindset at all and first encountered it here on these boards years ago. Paperbacks, trade paperbacks, and magazines can be comic books. Is the 1st appearance of Mouse Guard not in a comic book? How about Nexus? Gen 13? Dreadstar? Dare I say it, is the first Rocket Raccoon in a comic book? Archie Digests are not comic books? The earliest comic books in the U.S. don't look like traditional pamphlets, so should we ignore them because of it? Is the content predominately comic pages? Is that content in book form? Seems to me "comic books" consists of more than just what CGC is able to slab.

With that said, I get that the market has spoken, but in this case, I feel the market is so very, very wrong. Boba Fett's appearance in Star Wars #42 is not even in the first 10 printing of those pages around the world. And it is the 4th printing of those pages in the U.S. alone.

Edited by rjrjr

The CGC label for Marvel Tales #223 says "Spider-Ham backup story". Are you telling me that is more important than the Destruction of the Death Star?/quote]

If the backup story is not a reprint like the lead, then that could make a difference to collectors who go whole hog on collecting Spider-Ham appearances.

#4 - Luke & Leia first kiss.

#11 - Han & Leia first kiss (that tramp gets around).

:grin:

twincest? fail