• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this seem sleazy or is it just "Buyer Beware"?

13 posts in this topic

Neat Stuff Collectibles has the following giant comic collection for sale on ebay:

Giant Silver Age Marvel/DC Collection

Is it just me, or is it sleazy that they slip in the Golden Record Reprints of JIM 83, FF1, and Avengers 4 but make no mention of them being the reprints in the auction description? I know that anything on ebay is caveat emptor, but if you're going to put small bulk scans up there, it would be nice to tip potential buyers off. It's difficult to see that the Avengers 4 doesn't have the 12 cents in the logo box because the scan is pretty small. The JIM83 and FF1 are more obvious, but a novice collector could easily mistake these for the real deal.

I hear people bashing Neat Stuff on these boards about grading and slow service, but this seems right on the border of dishonesty.

No novice collector should plunk down the amount of cash that the auction will likely go for. NeatStuff is certainly sleazy, but in this case I think the burden is on the buyer to ask questions.

It's alot of both in my opinion but "deceitful" is a more apt description.

Frankly, I used to consider NeatStuff one of the more reputable mail order dealers out there until they pulling their cr@p on eBay. It seems the more they sell on eBay, the more my opinion of them decreases...

This auction just puts them lower on the dealer totem pole...though there's not much farther to go once you hit the pond scum...

Jim

Neatstuff just had a Whiz #2 (#1) up on e-bay that didn't meet reserve. I bid on it several times and was interested in going higher. I e-mailed them 2 or three times. Never received a response.

I was particularly interested in knowing their return policy (none listed) and whether they would take the book back if it turned out to be restored (they emphatically claim the book is unrestored).

Neatstuff just had a Whiz #2 (#1) up on e-bay that didn't meet reserve. I bid on it several times and was interested in going higher. I e-mailed them 2 or three times. Never received a response.

I was particularly interested in knowing their return policy (none listed) and whether they would take the book back if it turned out to be restored (they emphatically claim the book is unrestored).

Try calling them. I have Mike Carbonaro's number at home, but if you want it faster you could probably get it from Vincent Z.

well, at least the scans are such that you can tell they're the reprint

i've found that neatstuff contacts you if you got close to reserve on a big or semi-big book. maybe they already sold it off ebay to another bidder. that bidder will have the pleasure of waiting 4-6 weeks for delivery.

I don't think I'm rainin' on anybudy's parade but I definitely can vouch for the fact that Neatstuff can't grade work a grandma's wrinkled [#@$%!!!]. When you see NM think F/VF and you should come out about right.

Those guys are the kings of restored books at least Mike was back in the day. I'm waiting 1 month now for a book I bought on ebay from them.